Schiit Mani
Jan 12, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #62 of 144
You could add a Quickie pre-amp with the PJCCS kit or the Magni for more gain, depending on which way you want to take the sound. I wouldn't change the Reduction.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #63 of 144
  I've heard good things about the new AT33SA, but that is more than double the 103r (although far less than $10k, lol).

I have not personally heard either, just FYI.

Yeah, I have a Rega RP1 Not planning on spending more than the TT costs on a cartridge . The goal is to get a very good sounding setup that I can enjoy and still have enough funds to be able to eat better than a prisoner and still stash a little away for a rainy month. Man I hate being an adult.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #64 of 144
dt880smile.png
Quote:
  Hawkertempest.
 I should have been more specific. I already own a Mani. I am curious about what improvements you heard with the Power supply upgrade. I am Running a Rega RP1 Myself with some hot Rodding done as well. I am going to Upgrade the stock Stylus shortly. but I am curious about the affects of a better PSU.

Is any one using a Denon 103r with a Mani? I am between the Denon 103r and the DL 110

By adding the Swagman Labs PSU it has made the Mani smoother, darker, more refining, clearer and detailed. It has turned what is a very good Phonostage into a giant killer. That's what I was trying to get across in my previous post. The detail retrieval I am getting now is as good as my friends Sutherland I believe, plus voices are to die for now.
My RP6 "Rocks" through my Beyer T1's via my Schitt Magni2 Uber, which will be the next to get a Swagman Labs Signature Edition Filtered Power Supply Unit.  

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #65 of 144
  By adding the Swagman Labs PSU it has made the Mani smoother, darker, more refining, clearer and detailed. It has turned what is a very good Phonostage into a giant killer. That's what I was trying to get across in my previous post. The detail retrieval I am getting now is as good as my friends Sutherland I believe, plus voices are to die for now.
My RP6 "Rocks" through my Beyer T1's via my Schitt Magni2 Uber, which will be the next to get a Swagman Labs Signature Edition Filtered Power Supply Unit.  

Thanks, It's On the consideration list. I know there a limited Number of tweaks I can do on an RP1 in Addition to a good Cartridge, I did not consider a different PS for the Mani.  My Goal is to RP6 Sound from My Lowly RP1.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #66 of 144
I've got a sort of newbie question. I am redoing my gear and part of the deal with the wifey was she got to pick the cabinet if I got to upgrade the equipment, last significant purchase was 1999 on gear. Anyhow I am resurrecting an old Technics 1401 TT that I've owned since new in 1978 and running thru a Schiit Mani so here's the question. To make things fit in the cabinet I have my power conditioner, Panamax 4300 next to the TT and on top of the Panamax is where I planned to put the phone stage so it's close to the TT. Think there will be any interference seeing as it is a power conditioner? I am using double shielded interconnects down to the the receiver, amazon KableDirekt 3 footers and original interconnects and ground wire from the TT. Hoping for the cleanest signal possible and might be over thinking the whole interference thing. Thanks in advance for any input.   

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #67 of 144
  I've got a sort of newbie question. I am redoing my gear and part of the deal with the wifey was she got to pick the cabinet if I got to upgrade the equipment, last significant purchase was 1999 on gear. Anyhow I am resurrecting an old Technics 1401 TT that I've owned since new in 1978 and running thru a Schiit Mani so here's the question. To make things fit in the cabinet I have my power conditioner, Panamax 4300 next to the TT and on top of the Panamax is where I planned to put the phone stage so it's close to the TT. Think there will be any interference seeing as it is a power conditioner? I am using double shielded interconnects down to the the receiver, amazon KableDirekt 3 footers and original interconnects and ground wire from the TT. Hoping for the cleanest signal possible and might be over thinking the whole interference thing. Thanks in advance for any input.   

It's Possible To get interference but your ears will let you now real quick. Set it up, If you get interference then rearrange. I had my TT near the power conditioner for about a week before I moved it to a real shelf. There was no interference i could hear

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #70 of 144
Quote:

Hmmm.......  That is a complicated question that I will soon be discussing the pros and cons of on my "What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been" thread.

At least it was not along the lines of the response that you gave when asked about licensing the filter used in the Multibit DAC's. I may be misquoting this but if memory serves me right it was close to Over my dead body.

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #71 of 144

At least it was not along the lines of the response that you gave when asked about licensing the filter used in the Multibit DAC's. I may be misquoting this but if memory serves me right it was close to Over my dead body.

I think it revolved around the ideas of hell and temperatures below 0 degrees Celsius... :)

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #73 of 144
Hello, not sure how active this thread is but I do have some questions. I am pretty well versed in the game of high-end audio however I recently made the leap into the world of vinyl. 
I purchased the Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC and of course needed a pre-amp. I have a few scattered brands of headphone amps and DACS but always wanted to try a Schiit product so I thought buying their pre-amp would be a good start....and so I did.

My first attempt at playing a record had a significant amount of noise...like so much I couldnt even enjoy the music much at all. I tried about everything positioning-wise between my 3 devices( tt, pre-amp and headphone amp) and could not get the background noise/hum down to any acceptable level. The oddest part was that the noise was way stronger on the right channel than the left. very odd. I messed with my grounding wire, messed with the RCA cables...nothing. 

A couple of days later I was doing more research and found out that the cables provided with my TT could be the issue, so i swapped them out with some cheap but somewhat well made monoprice cables. And i do feel this made an audible difference in the noise, and I certainly am not noticing the channel imbalance with the noise any more. 

However, the noise was still present so I sprung for a audioquest evergreen cable to connect my TT to my mani. Listening for a few minutes today, background noise is at a possibly acceptable level but there was some odd pops/crackling I didn't notice before with these cables.

All of what I describe is heard with the tonearm up, and sometimes with the RCA's between the TT and mani even disconnected entirely, and turning up the volume on my headphone amp to about 40%.

I guess my 3 main questions are,

1. Is a certain amount of noise floor just accepted when using a TT?  Impossible to reduce? I also, have a at-lp60 with built in pre-amp and I just dont remember this amount of noise.
2. Is there anything I can do on my part to reduce the noise?  Location of devices/grounding/power filtering?
3. Is this amount of what I hear acceptable of the Mani or is this a bad unit? or perhaps upgrading the power supply would help?

I really do not think the Mani is defective, when I was hearing way more noise/hum from the rt channel than the left I thought this to be the case but since it is the same from both now and reduced I believe this probably "normal." 

Again as I said, I'm not an audiophile when it comes to vinyl so this is all relatively new to me. Just trying to get the best sound I can and reduce some of that noise during playback, especially during the more quiet/intimate parts of songs.

Thanks.

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #74 of 144
  1. Is a certain amount of noise floor just accepted when using a TT?  Impossible to reduce? I also, have a at-lp60 with built in pre-amp and I just dont remember this amount of noise.
2. Is there anything I can do on my part to reduce the noise?  Location of devices/grounding/power filtering?
3. Is this amount of what I hear acceptable of the Mani or is this a bad unit? or perhaps upgrading the power supply would help?

I have no experience with TTs, but here are two things I can think of:
- the Mani isn't correctly configured for your cartridge. What is your cartridge, and what are the gain/impedance settings that you've selected on the Mani?
- you can bypass the need for a phono preamp altogether if you go for a high-output cartridge like the Denon DL110

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #75 of 144
Good questions, i forgot to mention,

I am using a ortofon OM10 mm cartridge.
The mani is set at 47k for an MM cartridge and the gain level is set to its lowest settings.

Which reminded me of another oddity. Reading the manual for the Mani when I was QA'ing the situation said the the factory default settings would be set to [ Gain 1 set to low and Gain 2 set to high. ] However, all of my gains were set at lowest setting out of the box. Which also lead me down the path of thinking I possibly received a defective/refurb unit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back