I am a Schiit fan owning:

Asgard
Asgard 2
Valhalla 2
Lyr
Bifrost Uber
Magni
Modi

I was looking forward to Mani to use with my various Denon MC cartridges but was kind of disappointed to see no loading adjustment. Although I do understand the cost issues, I am hoping for a version 2 with loading variation.

I have a Vista Phono-1 Mk II that is a pretty amazing piece of gear. Gain + loading adjustable.

I've been very happy with the quality of Shiit devices overall.

Can you do a quick comparision on the Bifrost Uber vs the Modi? I read the Uber is a huge improvement over the original Bifrost and suposedly the Modi is based on the Bifrost. But how much better? It's worth the money? What are the main diferences?

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #18 of 144

Can you do a quick comparision on the Bifrost Uber vs the Modi? I read the Uber is a huge improvement over the original Bifrost and suposedly the Modi is based on the Bifrost. But how much better? It's worth the money? What are the main diferences?

I can't really compare them directly but they are both great at what they do.

I use the Bifrost with a Squeezebox Touch (connected by glass optical) to stream FLAC from a QNAP NAS on my home network. It's absolutely fantastic.

The Modi USB is used with my laptop at work and feeds a Magni. Again, good results. (The optical version wasn't available when I bought it.)

I prefer not to use USB ever as a way to transport 1's and 0's but it does suffice. I have recently been using a high rez iBasso DX90 DAP with the line out to the Magni or O2 and have spectacular results. Dual Sabre DAC's direct into the amp.....what is not to like about that?

Oct 20, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #19 of 144
I also use V90 LPS (with Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and Asgard 2) and although am really happy with it, I would not mind switching to Mani.
So if you guys have any experience with both, pleeeease share it:)

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #20 of 144
I got my Mani yesterday and hopefully Ill have the turntable setup today or tomorrow. After that I can give some impressions....but it will only be if it sounds good or not lol, I don't really have anything else to compare it to as I haven't used a proper turntable in quite some time. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #22 of 144
I messed with it a little tonight but didn't have a lot of time, but in short...sounds good, at least to my ears. One thing it was set in decca mode, 30db gain, out of the box and I didn't remember to change it so I was like this is sort of quite. It sounded fine though I just had to turn the amp up a bit higher than I usually listen to it at, then I remembered. I set the gain right and it was plenty loud, there was a little noise when not playing anything but it didn't affect the sound while playing. Whether or not that's actually the Mani or my set up, which is entirely possible, remains to be seen. I just have everything set up on the floor right now to test and everythings plugged in here and there because I'm out of room at the plug, I need a new power strip. I need to mess with stuff and get everything set up properly then see if it helps at all, but again it really doesn't affect anything. Ill mess with it more and get everything set up properly and get some better impressions, but as for right now I think it sounds really good, especially for 130 bucks...not that I have any comparisons...but still. 

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #23 of 144
Just got mine yesterday so there won't be a lot of detail, using it with Rega rp-40 and Elys mm. Initial reactions are positive, seems to be a little brighter on top than my main system which is an old(okay very old) Aragon 24k pre-amp. Using it paired with an Itube buffer/pre-amp and Prima Luna power amp. Have left it on since I got it and will see what if anything changes. Know this is not much help will post more later.

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #24 of 144
I've had my Mani since launch now. I'm using it with a Rega RP1 with performance pack. It's my first vinyl system; so I can't really compare it to any other phono preamps, sorry.

For anyone thinking about vinyl, I can tell you it beats the pants off of all of my digital files. Higher highs and lower lows. I didn't understand what people meant by digital compression till I heard a good vinyl rig. (I'd only heard old console tables.) It has opened my ears up to a whole new world of sound, even from albums I've heard a million times over on high res digital.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #27 of 144
I'm considering the Mani as an upgrade to my Pro-ject usb  phono stage (http://www.projectaudio.com.au/products/phono-box-usb-variable) connected to a Debut Carbon. I set this up last summer as I dug my vinyl out of storage after 20+ years :) I'll probably match it with another SYS so I can switch between pre-amps to record albums. The lack of reviews is disappointing since it's been out a few months. It's understandable with print media considering lead times, but online sites should have tested it by now considering Schiit's reputation.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #28 of 144
For loading of MC carts, you need to know the input resistance of the preamp and you need to know the output impedance of your cartridge, or at least the DCR of its coils. 

Generally speaking, you want the input resistance of your preamp to be about 10X the output impedance of your cartridge. 

In the case of a Denon DL103 with about 40 ohm output impedance, you'd want about a 400 ohm input resistance (load) at the preamp. 

To get there, let's say your preamp has the standard 47k input resistance. If you put a 470 ohm resistor in parallel with the 47k load resistor, you'll get 396.6 ohms. That's really close enough. 

desired R = R1 x R2 / R1 + R2

How do you put a 470 ohm resistor in parallel with the input resistance? Well, you could solder a little 1/8 watt metal film resistor between the signal and ground leads of the RCA plug that goes into the phono preamp's input jack. Or you could make up a female-to-female RCA connector, and solder that little resistor between signal and ground inside. You could make a bunch of these connectors, each with different resistor values. Some signal loss from the additional connections would theoretically be there, but I think they'd be infinitesimal in practice. 

So not having switchable load resistors is not terminal. 

--

Has anyone compared the Mani to an expensive phono preamp? Does it compare well? I've only seen comments from those who've just started with vinyl or have only had other very cheap phono preamps (like the ART, etc.). 

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #30 of 144
  any idea when the Mani is going to be back in stock? The page says late Feb or Early March. But its still showing out of stock :frowning2:

Send an email to Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back