Schiit 'Magnius' - new $199 fully balanced headphone amp
Aug 2, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #196 of 226
Here is my personal story:

The more I try to dive deep and go over review whether scientific (ASR) or empiricism (other forums) on specific dac, amps and match for specific headphones like Sundara, the more time I spend time analyzing both sides and comparing measurements, reviews, experiences with sound, the more I get confused and undecided.

Initially I wanted Zen CAN and think about pairing it with external DAC for my Sundara later, most likely Zen DAC for balanced stack. It got great features like xbass. I have hip-dac and I like it except for its low volume channel imbalance. Is it specific to ifi or most amps?

Then after spending hours on reading forums and watching reviews, I learned Zen DAC+CAN would be "too warm, relaxed". So ok, so maybe Modi3+ + Zen CAN? Then on ASR, not so great reviews came out on Zen CAN, especially when it comes to distortion on driving lower impedance headphones. So I decided to bite bullet and spend little more money and get Modius+Magnius after seeing great reviews from ASR, Joshua Valour (tier amp list). Magnius was backordered to 6-8 weeks at the time I ordered so I had time to still explore with excitement on other reviews about Magnius. Then found out video from GoldenSound not so hot on Magnius and Steve Guttenberg Audiophilac even though he liked Magnius in his review, he preferred Asgard 3.

Not wanting to wait 6-8 weeks, I emailed Schiit Audio to cancel my order for Modius+Magnius and next day I decided just to get Modi3+ and Magni Heresy since it seemed safest bet for the price, features, sound signature, neutral, not too warm or sterile it seemed.

Today I checked my order status and it seems Schiit cancelled it. I emailed them to confirm if that's the case or is just error in page and actual in fulfillment.

Asked on ASR forum, if something like Asgard3 or Magnius would benefit more for my Sundaras than Magni. Answer I got was no. But testimonials from people who match gear of Magni and Asgard with Sundara does not reflect that sentiment and it seems to known that with Asgard3 the sound opens up and soundstage gets larger? Then watch video from Currawong who explains that with larger amp capable of producing larger voltage swing, planar magnetic headphones like Sundara indeed benefit. Shouldn't ASR guys know better that it is not just powered delivered to headphones that is "good enough" if they claim to be such excellent experts in measurements? Now I think, if Schiit confirms cancelling my order by mistake, is whether to go ahead and place new order for Asgard3 or something else instead? It's so so confusing I don't wanna even think it about anymore otherwise my head explode. Knowing more information on both sides has not really helped me much in driving my decision on purchase. I think I will just go with whatever feels right and be done with it.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #197 of 226
Here is my personal story:

The more I try to dive deep and go over review whether scientific (ASR) or empiricism (other forums) on specific dac, amps and match for specific headphones like Sundara, the more time I spend time analyzing both sides and comparing measurements, reviews, experiences with sound, the more I get confused and undecided.

Initially I wanted Zen CAN and think about pairing it with external DAC for my Sundara later, most likely Zen DAC for balanced stack. It got great features like xbass. I have hip-dac and I like it except for its low volume channel imbalance. Is it specific to ifi or most amps?

Then after spending hours on reading forums and watching reviews, I learned Zen DAC+CAN would be "too warm, relaxed". So ok, so maybe Modi3+ + Zen CAN? Then on ASR, not so great reviews came out on Zen CAN, especially when it comes to distortion on driving lower impedance headphones. So I decided to bite bullet and spend little more money and get Modius+Magnius after seeing great reviews from ASR, Joshua Valour (tier amp list). Magnius was backordered to 6-8 weeks at the time I ordered so I had time to still explore with excitement on other reviews about Magnius. Then found out video from GoldenSound not so hot on Magnius and Steve Guttenberg Audiophilac even though he liked Magnius in his review, he preferred Asgard 3.

Not wanting to wait 6-8 weeks, I emailed Schiit Audio to cancel my order for Modius+Magnius and next day I decided just to get Modi3+ and Magni Heresy since it seemed safest bet for the price, features, sound signature, neutral, not too warm or sterile it seemed.

Today I checked my order status and it seems Schiit cancelled it. I emailed them to confirm if that's the case or is just error in page and actual in fulfillment.

Asked on ASR forum, if something like Asgard3 or Magnius would benefit more for my Sundaras than Magni. Answer I got was no. But testimonials from people who match gear of Magni and Asgard with Sundara does not reflect that sentiment and it seems to known that with Asgard3 the sound opens up and soundstage gets larger? Then watch video from Currawong who explains that with larger amp capable of producing larger voltage swing, planar magnetic headphones like Sundara indeed benefit. Shouldn't ASR guys know better that it is not just powered delivered to headphones that is "good enough" if they claim to be such excellent experts in measurements? Now I think, if Schiit confirms cancelling my order by mistake, is whether to go ahead and place new order for Asgard3 or something else instead? It's so so confusing I don't wanna even think it about anymore otherwise my head explode. Knowing more information on both sides has not really helped me much in driving my decision on purchase. I think I will just go with whatever feels right and be done with it.
ASR thinks everything sounds the same except for the noise floor. Take everything they say with a grain of salt.

I recommend you look at the Modi 3+ and Magni 3+. No need to spend lots of money to get good sound.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #202 of 226
Aug 2, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #204 of 226
Wish there were audio stores in the US especially in the San Francisco Bay Area, that way I could bring my headphones and my playlist to try and compare without hassle of ordering, trying and returning with shipping and restocking fee. I am also full-time employed so I only have so much time to compare and made decisions. Going over and watching reviews took me whole free time on my last weekend.

Hence no wonder most people, just order what measures and sounds best on review rankings and just order whats recommended.

As far as “meatier, warmer” sound of Magni3+ vs more “clinical, transparent” of Heresy comparable more to THX, isnt the point of amp to be transparent and not to color sound and then achieve desired “warm” sound via software EQ like SoundSource or Loki?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #205 of 226
Wish they were audio stores in the US especially in the San Francisco Bay Area, that way I could bring my headphones and my playlist to try and compare without hassle of ordering, trying and returning with shipping and restocking fee. I am also full-time employed so I only have so much time to compare and made decisions. Going over and watching reviews took me whole free time on my last weekend.

Hence no wonder most people, just order what measures and sounds best on review rankings and just order whats recommended.

As far as “meatier, warmer” sound of Magni3+ vs more “clinical, transparent” of Heresy comparable more to THX, isnt the point of amp to be transparent and not to color sound and then achieve desired “warm” sound via software EQ like SoundSource or Loki?
I'd say the point of an amp is to produce a sound pleasing to the user. This is why tube amps are so popular because you can roll tubes to achieve the desired sound. Some people prefer clinical sound, especially professional mixers. I'd say a large proportion of hobbyists prefer warmer sounds because they are usually less fatiguing.

It sounds like you have your mind made up on the Heresy, so go for it. If you like black more than silver, that will always be in the back of your mind and can affect your listening enjoyment. Heck, I spend hours comparing pictures of tubes on eBay looking for ones that pass the aesthetic test. Even if a tube sounds great, if it doesn't look right or as pristine to me as my vision of it should be, I'll roll in a different tube even if the sound isn't exactly as good. Trust me, I get the visual aspect of this hobby as well.

Aug 2, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #207 of 226
Says who?
When it comes to "transparency" of amps - Joshua Valour (amp tier list) , as all as ASR
EQ point comes from ASR

:wink:

Though it looks like those mainstream youtubers like Joshua seem to only "pass" what measures well and don't review tube amps or more exotic solid state like Ifi hip-dac or Zen DAC/CAN. Z Review is entertaining but you don't feel like you learn too much from reviews. Passion for Sound and GoldenSound seem to be more neutral between measurements and listening tests. GS seems to have come little too harsh on Magnius, but I agree with him on the point measurements is not everything. Steve Guttenberg Audiophilac as well as a lot of people on Reddit reported they preffered Asgard3 over Magnius.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #208 of 226
When it comes to "transparency" of amps - Joshua Valour (amp tier list) , as all as ASR
EQ point comes from ASR

Though it looks like those mainstream youtubers like Joshua seem to only "pass" what measures well and don't review tube amps or more exotic solid state like Ifi hip-dac or Zen DAC/CAN. Z Review is entertaining but you don't feel like you learn too much from reviews. Passion for Sound and GoldenSound seem to be more neutral between measurements and listening tests. GS seems to have come little too harsh on Magnius, but I agree with him on the point measurements is not everything. Steve Guttenberg Audiophilac as well as a lot of people on Reddit reported they preffered Asgard3 over Magnius.
1) ASR doesn't actually listen to their gear. They measure it and only care about measurements. What matters most to them in the noise floor.
2) Z is a funny guy, but doesn't really provide any insights. His reviews are all over the place and often contradictory.
3) Joshua Valour seems to be more open about giving an honest opinion, but he can go against what the consensus says.
4) If you want the best reviews of gear, try to stay off Youtube. The best reviewers make their opinions available elsewhere because they're not worried about monetizing their Youtube channel.
5) As always, follow the money. Find reviewers who don't benefit financially and forums that are community-sponsored, not exclusively ad-supported. You'll find the most honest opinions there because they aren't afraid to offend others and risk funding.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #209 of 226
EQ point comes from ASR

I learned Zen DAC+CAN would be "too warm, relaxed"
Based on the quote above, the Asgard 3 may not be the best choice for you. Asgard 3 is a tonally rich, warm amp, but not overly so. It's a more engaging, less offensive sound signature than the Magnius. Magnius is definitely the more neutral, dare I say "more detailed" (in the sense that the treble is more upfront and thus sounds like it's more detailed). Ideally, you should try the amps before buying but I understand your points about buying and returning stuff.

Have not heard any in the Magni family but based on other's feedback here, you really can't go wrong with either 3+ or Heresy.

Aug 2, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #210 of 226
Based on the quote above, the Asgard 3 may not be the best choice for you. Asgard 3 is a tonally rich, warm amp, but not overly so. It's a more engaging, less offensive sound signature than the Magnius. Magnius is definitely the more neutral, dare I say "more detailed" (in the sense that the treble is more upfront and thus sounds like it's more detailed). Ideally, you should try the amps before buying but I understand your points about buying and returning stuff.

Have not heard any in the Magni family but based on other's feedback here, you really can't go wrong with either 3+ or Heresy.

I also already own hip-dac and find it pleasant to listen to, the only thing I dislike about it is low volume imbalance that starts below 10o clock for my Sundara.

I dont have really experience with “neutral” amps unless Apple lightening to 3.5 dac adapter paired with fairly little bright IEMs (Fiio FH5) counts. When comparing fh5 between two (on hipdac with volume normalization, very sensitive), on hipdac I pereiced it warm but slightly lacking in treble detail like sparkling accoustics. On both the bass seemed little anemic, maybe little better on hip-dac but definietly notably improved with xbass boost. But I wouldnt day FH5 lacked bass, even when paired using Apple dongle.

i also have a pair of OG airpods in stereo mode, impressive bass and mids, decent highs, but at times bass too muddy and uncontrolled for my taste.

I think for me warm vs neutral is not thay important for me, but I lean on neutral slightly warm side. Whats more important is that amp does not inhibit dynamic (instead of leveling up all sounds in mix, rather preserve level of volume of each sound as it was recorded, but maybe slightly bring forward some very far recessed soft tones to bring more details). What I dont like when everything sounds very congested. I like some instrument separation with soundstage opened up decently.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back