Schiit 'Magnius' - new $199 fully balanced headphone amp
Dec 19, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #181 of 226
What's the best way to ensure I'm sending the untouched signal from PC to the Modius please? (Basically I do not want the PC doing anything to the signal except passing it on to the Modius for the Modius to work its magic).

Dec 19, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #182 of 226
What's the best way to ensure I'm sending the untouched signal from PC to the Modius please? (Basically I do not want the PC doing anything to the signal except passing it on to the Modius for the Modius to work its magic).
This a thread about the amp... But hook the USB up to it or if you have a toslink use that. And whatever you use to listen to music with.

Feb 7, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #183 of 226

Interesting review

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #184 of 226
Has anyone compared the Magnius to the jotenheim 1 or 2? I am looking at adding balanced in to my system and I don't need the single ended side because I already have other amps. So I am curious how this compares to the two jotenheim models

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #185 of 226
Has anyone compared the Magnius to the jotenheim 1 or 2? I am looking at adding balanced in to my system and I don't need the single ended side because I already have other amps. So I am curious how this compares to the two jotenheim models
I'm fairly sure the reviewer i posted above has a jot 2 in that he will be comparing against the magnius in his review

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #187 of 226
I don't agree with everything in that review, but he does have a point in that it feels that Jason purposefully made this amp as a bad joke specifically to please the die hard objectivists.
While I don't think it's a terrible sounding amp, it just doesn't emotionally engage me with the music as much as my other 2 Schiit amps (Asgard 3 and Vali 2). If I hadn't gotten the Magnius as a gift I'd returned it within the 15 day return window.

Feb 12, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #190 of 226
To me, his review style is Zeos done right. He explains a lot more and a lot better what the amp sounds like to him and gives specific examples of why he doesn't like it.

Even if I don't agree 100% with his Magnius review, that video was definitely more informative to watch than Zeos's general take on videos.

Feb 12, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #191 of 226
To me, his review style is Zeos done right. He explains a lot more and a lot better what the amp sounds like to him and gives specific examples of why he doesn't like it.

Even if I don't agree 100% with his Magnius review, that video was definitely more informative to watch than Zeos's general take on videos.
While you are probably right. Zeos is more entertaining which is probably why I and other like him.

Feb 12, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #192 of 226
While you are probably right. Zeos is more entertaining which is probably why I and other like him.

Agreed. I watch for the entertainment. His tastes tend to fall in line with mine headphone wise, but even if he loves something I still go elsewhere for more detailed info on it

Feb 12, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #193 of 226
I was (of course) talking about the visual reviewing style with a bobbing headcam and two hands in central view all the time.
Other than that they are the two opposites. I can watch a 40 minutes Zeos review and be entertained and had a good laugh but learned hardly if anything at all about the product he's reviewing. It's entertaining but nothing you can base your purchase decision on.
GoldenSound is much more informative, instant sub from me.

ps.
Totally agree with what he says about the current market and ASR's bad influence on it.

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #194 of 226
I was (of course) talking about the visual reviewing style with a bobbing headcam and two hands in central view all the time.
Other than that they are the two opposites. I can watch a 40 minutes Zeos review and be entertained and had a good laugh but learned hardly if anything at all about the product he's reviewing. It's entertaining but nothing you can base your purchase decision on.
GoldenSound is much more informative, instant sub from me.

ps.
Totally agree with what he says about the current market and ASR's bad influence on it.

In a market full of BS and snake oil such as the audio hobby, with unproved claims here and there under the premise of "subjectivity", people that lack the very basics of electricity, acoustics and how they brain and ears work (thus easily to manipulate and influence), why a scientific approach (whether it is from Amir or anyone else that can potentially replicate the results) should have a bad influence on it? Is using fancy words in a review to appeal to the emotional side without any rational support (and I mean rigorous and controlled blind tests) a better influence then?

ASR members are not the only ones that base their purchasing decisions on demonstrable facts rather than subjective opinions, even Schiit knows that there is a market for both.

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #195 of 226
In a market full of BS and snake oil such as the audio hobby, with unproved claims here and there under the premise of "subjectivity", people that lack the very basics of electricity, acoustics and how they brain and ears work (thus easily to manipulate and influence), why a scientific approach (whether it is from Amir or anyone else that can potentially replicate the results) should have a bad influence on it? Is using fancy words in a review to appeal to the emotional side without any rational support (and I mean rigorous and controlled blind tests) a better influence then?

ASR members are not the only ones that base their purchasing decisions on demonstrable facts rather than subjective opinions, even Schiit knows that there is a market for both.

I mean, did you watch the video? Empiricism is quite important. Thats not what amir realy does. It is absalutely paramount to scientific comparison to at the very least measure the same things in the same way for all items of a category (this is litteraly something taught in middleschool) yet amir attacks anyone who suggests he does this very thing. My litteral whole problem with ARS is very simply how they opporate. The goal of weeding out bull is something we should all strive for and there is plenty of weeding to do in audio. But science isn't a cult and if you can't even be bothered to mention your blindspots (like how can we say with 100% confidence something is inaudible without ever mentioning that we have no idea how to measure universally agreed to exist phenomena such as sound stage and imaging). Hell, even just not addressing cirtisism at all would lend more credence than addressing it the way he and his forums do. And yes, I also 100% agree this is just a different side of the same coin of audio rocks (and one at least with some kind of backup to lean on). If you watch the video he talks about how his issue is amirs style/how he handles himself, not his goal (and specificaly calls for talk on certain specific measurements often overlooked on ASR discussions)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back