Schiit Magni with Low Impedance Headphones?
Mar 18, 2014 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zj12

New Head-Fier
I know there are some other similar topics out there, but I have a few extra questions so I thought I would start a thread.

I'm very much considering getting the Schiit Magni because of it's price/performance, although (at least for now), I will only be using the Audio Technica A700X (38Ohms) and the V-Moda M-100 (32Ohms) with it. When using such low impedance headphones, will the Magni still be a good choice? My other option I've looked at is the Asgard 2, which has a low gain switch, although that's a $150 jump which I'd like to avoid if possible.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 7
  I know there are some other similar topics out there, but I have a few extra questions so I thought I would start a thread.

I'm very much considering getting the Schiit Magni because of it's price/performance, although (at least for now), I will only be using the Audio Technica A700X (38Ohms) and the V-Moda M-100 (32Ohms) with it. When using such low impedance headphones, will the Magni still be a good choice? My other option I've looked at is the Asgard 2, which has a low gain switch, although that's a $150 jump which I'd like to avoid if possible.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi!

I don't have the Magni but the Asgard (v1). The reason the Asgard 2 exists is that the Magni was so damn close to the original Asgard that Schiit felt the need to upgrade the Asgard. So I am giving you the experience with an even more powerful amp (without gain control). 

The Asgard has an output impedance of below 2 Ohms, the Magni below 0.1 Ohms. You will be fine with anything from 16 Ohms onwards. I can drive 16 Ohms IEMs and 18 Ohms Amperiors without hiss or noise floor on the Asgard. However on the Vali (Output Impedance 6.5 Ohms) I do have a audible noise floor....

However depending on what kind of DAC you use, you can use 24 bit and then reduce the source volume to keep the noise floor down. With your headphones though (32 and 38 Ohms) I doubt that this will be needed at all...so in short: you will be fine.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
K

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the help! One last question: Would you say that the O2/ODAC combo with rear power and a gain control switch would be worth about $65 more than the Schiit stack for sensitive headphones like the M-100 and A700x? Thanks.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 7
  Thanks for the help! One last question: Would you say that the O2/ODAC combo with rear power and a gain control switch would be worth about $65 more than the Schiit stack for sensitive headphones like the M-100 and A700x? Thanks.

Hmm, I don't have an O2/ODAC. Had such great experiences with Schiit so far that I never got around trying the O2. But I am really curious about this amp. However, I think there is little difference. For me, it would not be worth $65 more. 

Cheers,
K

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 7
So even with the Magni/modi having volume imbalance at lower levels as well as lack of  gain switch you would say to go for it for $65 less? Haha It's a tough decision for me, because I love the look of the magni/modi, but the O2/ODAC includes a gain switch which eliminates problems with lower ohm headphones.

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 7
Yes indeed, I do. You won't regret it. They are an amazing duo. And again 32 Ohms is not an impedance that will cause you any problem with the Magnificent. No imbalance no noise floor. People might have an issue with really low impedance iems with 6 or 8 Ohms.

But if you prefer the O2 that's cool. Also a great amp DAC combination. But I prefer the versatility with the schiit stack.
Cheers,
K

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 7
Yes indeed, I do. You won't regret it. They are an amazing duo. And again 32 Ohms is not an impedance that will cause you any problem with the Magnificent. No imbalance no noise floor. People might have an issue with really low impedance iems with 6 or 8 Ohms.

But if you prefer the O2 that's cool. Also a great amp DAC combination. But I prefer the versatility with the schiit stack.
Cheers,
K

I did end up going with the Schiit stack, although I picked up these attenuators to give me a little more room on the volume pot with my 32ohm headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back