Schiit Magni Unity - Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #61 of 82
Well, just got one, myself and I'm stunned. The detail, cleanliness, and DEPTH ... my god! It's pretty freaking amazing. Has anyone else had issues with the connection being lost to the DAC, though? Sometimes if I touch the usb cable, the computer switches outputs like the Magni's been disconnected. It's not consistent, though. Sometimes I barely touch it and it happens. But sometimes I can shift the plugs around within the sockets at either end and nothing happens. But if I don't touch it at all, it plays fine for hours. I don't have this issue with any other usb devices — certainly not any audio devices.

I don't have the Magni Unity but my Nitsch Pietus Maximus would cut out the right channel if I touched the input switch (between RCA or USB DAC) just a little. I sent it back to Ceetee for repair. He swapped the circuit board and it's all good now. You shouldn't have any issues at all when plugging in a cable or flipping any switch.

Jan 31, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #63 of 82
I don't have the Magni Unity but my Nitsch Pietus Maximus would cut out the right channel if I touched the input switch (between RCA or USB DAC) just a little. I sent it back to Ceetee for repair. He swapped the circuit board and it's all good now. You shouldn't have any issues at all when plugging in a cable or flipping any switch.
Agreed. Considering reaching out to Schiit but it's such a random problem I'm afraid it won't be repeatable and then I'll have to deal with it going back and forth. It's not a problem as long as it just sits still which it will be doing most of the day. I don't tend to plug and unplug things much during the day so it's not a huge deal. Slightly disappointing but I mean ... what it does for the money... hard to complain about much.

Jan 31, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #64 of 82
Agreed. Considering reaching out to Schiit but it's such a random problem I'm afraid it won't be repeatable and then I'll have to deal with it going back and forth. It's not a problem as long as it just sits still which it will be doing most of the day. I don't tend to plug and unplug things much during the day so it's not a huge deal. Slightly disappointing but I mean ... what it does for the money... hard to complain about much.

If you can reproduce it, even randomly, then it is repeatable. They won't receive an RMA and say "we couldn't duplicate issue, return to buyer". They will go the easiest and quickest route and replace the circuit board and test it before returning it to you. You are a buyer and your happiness is 100% important to them. Most Schiiit product buyers are repeat customers and/or long term customers.

Jan 31, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #65 of 82
If you can reproduce it, even randomly, then it is repeatable. They won't receive an RMA and say "we couldn't duplicate issue, return to buyer". They will go the easiest and quickest route and replace the circuit board and test it before returning it to you. You are a buyer and your happiness is 100% important to them. Most Schiiit product buyers are repeat customers and/or long term customers.
I am certainly a repeat customer. I think this is my ... sixth(?) piece of Schiit. I'm a fanboy at this point. The "back and forth" I'm mostly worried about is not having it on my desk. :)

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #66 of 82
I am certainly a repeat customer. I think this is my ... sixth(?) piece of Schiit. I'm a fanboy at this point. The "back and forth" I'm mostly worried about is not having it on my desk. :)

Oh I completely understand that! I got the Nitsch Pietus Maximus and had the input switch issue out of the box. So I had it for less than 24 hours before I returned it for repair. Shipping time sucked but at least Ceetee had it repaired and shipped back within a day of receiving it. I definitely went through a withdrawal period.

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #67 of 82
My good and bad. I'm quite impressed how much I enjoy this little amp. I would say it's better sounding than L30 II. It's not that peaky and I listen to the songs rather than trying to over analyze. There are clear differences between Topping and Schiit. But nothing too big that both would be good. I have only tested it on my Uraltone Helmi diy speakers, my own diy 10" subwoofers and Nectarsound Ambrosia. I haven't listened yet to electostatics but I think it just sound fine :)

+Well-balanced, neutral warm sound.
+Doesn't clip in bass-heavy songs
+Black background
+Appearance, layout
+Does not get hot
+Price

-The switches feel a little loose
-HP Out cheap looking
-It might be too good that you would enjoy the more expensive amplifiers as much anymore

Edit. Added a photo. Fits well with Ifi Audio
IMG_20240201_164225915~4.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #68 of 82
Interestingly it sounded so much different with electostatic. It had less metallic sound and more warminesh or smoothed treble. Not sure if I liked this one the best combo for electostatics. I need to go to the second or third round for e-stats only :)

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #70 of 82
Just received one and very happy with it. Since european stock is constantly non existent, ordered it from Schiit directly.
Source is 16/44 FLACs with Strawberry music player on Ubuntu. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm headphones.
Good buy!
Congrats!

Also did you order with the dac card? And what was your previous amp if you don't mind me asking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back