Schiit Magni Unity - Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #31 of 86
Ah fellow Canadian, who consistently gets destroyed from shipping + import tax.

Just like when I bought my Piety, and recently PMax, I guess I never learn. :joy:

But yeah I can see why it's much easier to just go for refund. That sucks though.....

But please update us if you pick up another DAC/amp combo.

I'm trying to think what else would be a good alternative but my brain draws blank..... lol.

It's frustrating, isn't it? I've likely shelled out around $350 CAD in total for the Magni Unity.

Jan 1, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #32 of 86
It's frustrating, isn't it? I've likely shelled out around $350 CAD in total for the Magni Unity.
lol yeah a lot of the "bang for buck" or "punches above its price point" tend to be just "sound about right for the price point" once it arrives Canada. :sob:

Sometimes I wonder if it's more cost effective for us to just buy chi-fi off amazon.ca but....... I do kind of want to support Schiit because they are a bit different and also most importantly........ they are funny LOL.

Jan 1, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #33 of 86
lol yeah a lot of the "bang for buck" or "punches above its price point" tend to be just "sound about right for the price point" once it arrives Canada. :sob:

Sometimes I wonder if it's more cost effective for us to just buy chi-fi off amazon.ca but....... I do kind of want to support Schiit because they are a bit different and also most importantly........ they are funny LOL.

To avoid any more headaches, I'm leaning towards not buying anything new from the US. Thinking of sticking to Canuck Audio Mart for used gear. Navigating the ups and downs of currency exchange can feel like a rollercoaster ride, and the additional customs fees only add to the challenge.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #34 of 86
my first pair of Atrium cost me $3800 CAD
:scream: I've seen second hand Verite closed for about $2500 CAD.

So $3800 CAD definitely is a bit wild.
Thinking of sticking to Canuck Audio Mart for used gear.
Yeah that or I just ask Head-Fi seller if they can declare a lower value but that's also risky too if things go missing.

My TH-900 was declared $70. :joy:

Again, not advised but just want to share our pain a little bit.

Jan 1, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #35 of 86
The DAC is completely dead, and when I tested with another DAC, the amp is still functional, but now there's a noticeable background noise.
So the DAC fried hard enough to damage the amp? Ouch. This is the first instance I’ve read about any Unity problems. I wonder how many they’ve sold. If it’s a common problem or life is just picking on you guys this week. I didn’t get the DAC because I don’t have a USB source I want to use. Hope it gets taken care of. Dealing with cross border RMAs is no fun. I’m not overly picky about where things are made, but I really like domestic, or better yet local, service

Jan 1, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #36 of 86

Yeah that or I just ask Head-Fi seller if they can declare a lower value but that's also risky too if things go missing.

This hobby is a rollercoaster, right? :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #37 of 86
So the DAC fried hard enough to damage the amp? Ouch. This is the first instance I’ve read about any Unity problems. I wonder how many they’ve sold. If it’s a common problem or life is just picking on you guys this week. I didn’t get the DAC because I don’t have a USB source I want to use. Hope it gets taken care of. Dealing with cross border RMAs is no fun. I’m not overly picky about where things are made, but I really like domestic, or better yet local, service

Yeah, it seems that way. I guess being a guinea pig for products that haven't been thoroughly tested before hitting mass production comes with its own price. Apologies if I come across a bit grumpy, but I've had previous experiences with defective Schiit products.

Jan 1, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #38 of 86
Yeah, it seems that way. I guess being a guinea pig for products that haven't been thoroughly tested before hitting mass production comes with its own price. Apologies if I come across a bit grumpy, but I've had previous experiences with defective Schiit products.
Maybe the Canadian import guys just shake packages harder than most. It’s hard to get a real idea about failure rate from anecdotes on a website. Of course that doesn’t make it suck any less for you. With the presumably tens of thousands of units shipping there are going to be a few failures. Even the seemingly never ending series of my Lyr+ had a meltdown stories weren’t actually a high percentage, just very vocal here. Maybe they should start fitting all the Canadian shipments with the Schiit equivalent of AirTags. See if the products are exposed to any extremes of temperature, humidity, or shock. Hopefully they don’t have a sensor for bad language though.

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #39 of 86
Maybe the Canadian import guys just shake packages harder than most. It’s hard to get a real idea about failure rate from anecdotes on a website. Of course that doesn’t make it suck any less for you. With the presumably tens of thousands of units shipping there are going to be a few failures. Even the seemingly never ending series of my Lyr+ had a meltdown stories weren’t actually a high percentage, just very vocal here. Maybe they should start fitting all the Canadian shipments with the Schiit equivalent of AirTags. See if the products are exposed to any extremes of temperature, humidity, or shock. Hopefully they don’t have a sensor for bad language though.

My bad for not being clear. My Magni Unity was all good until yesterday. Got it in late November, and everything was running smoothly until this recent snag hit.

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #40 of 86

Considering a new ZMF VC is 2,500 usd before taxes ( 3,300 cad), your 3,800 sounds about right if it’s after shipping and taxes.

Jan 2, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #41 of 86
Considering a new ZMF VC is 2,500 usd before taxes ( 3,300 cad), your 3,800 sounds about right if it’s after shipping and taxes.
I think he was referring to Atrium, which should've been a little bit cheaper.

Though I also wonder if all the prices have gone up over the years....... hmmmmmmm............

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #42 of 86
Hi there, I'm a long-time reader of this forum, but this is my first real post here. Received the Magni Unity in Silver with dac card today. Looking forward to post a review in the future, after I have spent more time with it. I'd like to invite other forum members to ask any questions they might have about the Magni, or to share their own opinions or experiences with it. Happy listening :L3000: !

Jan 2, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #43 of 86
Hi there, I'm a long-time reader of this forum, but this is my first real post here. Received the Magni Unity in Silver with dac card today. Looking forward to post a review in the future, after I have spent more time with it. I'd like to invite other forum members to ask any questions they might have about the Magni, or to share their own opinions or experiences with it. Happy listening :L3000: !
Heyyyy congrats on your first post. Don't be shy, should post more haha. We're mostly nice...... some of us...... probably...... LOL.

Congrats on getting your Magni Unity!

And yes I already have a few questions. When you have time later, again no rush since you just got the unit.

Could you share some impressions on:

1. Volume knob smoothness, I always find Schiit volume knob a bit "grippy", I wonder if it's improved to more "effortless".

2. Could you compare the dac card to the Modi 3.

3. Also how do you find coming from Asgard 3 to Magni Unity.

Thanks and enjoy!

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #44 of 86
I got the Magni Unity as my first desktop amp. It made my Grados sounded amazing. So then I got greedy for better sounds and ended up getting the full stack with Bifrost, Lokius, and Jot 2. Unfortunately (I just wasted money?) or fortunately for only Grado headphones, my Magni Unity outperformed the entire Schiit stack that cost many times as much. However, the Schiit stacks worked very well for Planar headphones and my Shure IEM so I decided to keep them.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #45 of 86
I got the Magni Unity as my first desktop amp. It made my Grados sounded amazing. So then I got greedy for better sounds and ended up getting the full stack with Bifrost, Lokius, and Jot 2. Unfortunately (I just wasted money?) or fortunately for only Grado headphones, my Magni Unity outperformed the entire Schiit stack that cost many times as much. However, the Schiit stacks worked very well for Planar headphones and my Shure IEM so I decided to keep them.
lol I have Grado and TH900 (both low impedance and easy to drive). That's good new I think????

Did you pair your Magni Unity with the build in Dac Card or did you have another Dac?

Otherwise yes amp pairing with Grado and TH900 has been hit or miss and purely random for me. :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back