Schiit Magni Unity - Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #16 of 86
I just got my Schiit Magni Unity today. It definitely needs burn in time. The Treble is harsh at mid and high setting. I’ll have to leave it on for a couple days to see if it improves. On lowest setting it still drives my Moondrop Para pretty well with detailed precisions.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #18 of 86
For people with DAC cards. Does the card get its power from the chassis or from the input? Curious about the implementation. I don’t imagine it’ll charge your phone either. I should have got one to play with.

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #19 of 86
It gets power from the chassis. No it doesn’t charge the phone. I suspect any charging energy going through here would cause noise in sensitive headphones.

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #20 of 86
It gets power from the chassis. No it doesn’t charge the phone. I suspect any charging energy going through here would cause noise in sensitive headphones.
Thanks. I expected as much but confirmation is anlways appreciated. I had a bout of FOMO and bought the PMax which is is going to displace the Unity. If I just buy the DAC card (like I knew I should have I the first place) the Unity will displace the Fulla which will be more than happy as an overkill dongle with the laptop. If I keep this up the cat will end up with a Schiit system as well.

Dec 25, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #21 of 86
Thanks. I expected as much but confirmation is anlways appreciated. I had a bout of FOMO and bought the PMax which is is going to displace the Unity. If I just buy the DAC card (like I knew I should have I the first place) the Unity will displace the Fulla which will be more than happy as an overkill dongle with the laptop. If I keep this up the cat will end up with a Schiit system as well.
The desire for dedicated gear is hard to resist. I originally only wanted the Unity till I felt it was a bit lacking for my planar head phones. That said, I did over do it after I got the full stack of Schiit. The Lokius was probably the only gear I needed but having a Jotunheim 2 was good too.

Dec 25, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #22 of 86
Lol I was also debating between PMax or Magni Unity.

I ended up going with PMax but now I wonder if I should've gone with Magni Unity instead for different sound signature.

PMax come across as a bit too smooth for me. Maybe I miss the treble sparkle and air.

Resolution wise how far off is Magni Unity? Or how close?
The desire for dedicated gear is hard to resist. I originally only wanted the Unity till I felt it was a bit lacking for my planar head phones. That said, I did over do it after I got the full stack of Schiit. The Lokius was probably the only gear I needed but having a Jotunheim 2 was good too.
For the longest time I wanted to buy Loki, but is always like oh I can put the money towards the next dac or amp LOL.

But this inspire me to actually get one.

Dec 26, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #23 of 86
Lol I was also debating between PMax or Magni Unity.

I ended up going with PMax but now I wonder if I should've gone with Magni Unity instead for different sound signature.

PMax come across as a bit too smooth for me. Maybe I miss the treble sparkle and air.

Resolution wise how far off is Magni Unity? Or how close?

For the longest time I wanted to buy Loki, but is always like oh I can put the money towards the next dac or amp LOL.

But this inspire me to actually get one.
I realized after reading all about the dacs and amps on head-fi that their main difference is just the EQ tuning and sound clarity that is preset in them. So with a quiet enough amp and if I get the Lokius to set the tones just right, wouldn’t I be able to replicate those expensive Amps and Headphones? I initially thought my Magni Unity was lacking too till I got the Lokius. I ramped up some of the tones and suddenly it sounds like the jot 2. I could even tune my Planar moondrop para to sound like my Grador Rs2e, which was freaky (blasphemous) to Grado fans (fanatics) out there.

Even those expensive 4k+ headphones comes with a special EQ settings that allow some of their low end headphones to copy their sound signature. Of course there are certain sounds you can’t completely copy but TBH those are niche hobbies for the rich and people close to needing hearing aids.

Jan 1, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #24 of 86
My Magni Unity died after about 20 hours of use. Strong electrical smell and then the USB-C input (into the DAC) stopped working. Symptoms are that it is no longer recognized by my iMac (with the supplied USB-A to USB-C cable or a USB-C to USB-C cable) or by my iPad Pro (USB-C to USB-C). I've contacted Schitt, but support is slow due to the holidays.

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #25 of 86
My Magni Unity died after about 20 hours of use. Strong electrical smell and then the USB-C input (into the DAC) stopped working. Symptoms are that it is no longer recognized by my iMac (with the supplied USB-A to USB-C cable or a USB-C to USB-C cable) or by my iPad Pro (USB-C to USB-C). I've contacted Schitt, but support is slow due to the holidays.

I ran into the same problem with my Magni Unity, so I guess I'll have to hit up Schiit for a refund.

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #27 of 86
Damn, I guess the new dac card for Unity is too new so they haven't iron out the kinks.

Sounds like in the mean time people are safer to buy Magni Unity with Modi+ instead.

It seems like this product was rushed to market without enough thorough QA. I've asked for a refund because I don't want to deal with the RMA process, especially being in Canada.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #30 of 86
It seems like this product was rushed to market without enough thorough QA. I've asked for a refund because I don't want to deal with the RMA process, especially being in Canada.
Ah fellow Canadian, who consistently gets destroyed from shipping + import tax.

Just like when I bought my Piety, and recently PMax, I guess I never learn. :joy:
The DAC is completely dead, and when I tested with another DAC, the amp is still functional, but now there's a noticeable background noise.
Yeah I can see why it's much easier to just go for refund. That sucks though.....

But please update us if you pick up another DAC/amp combo.

I'm trying to think what else would be a good alternative but my brain draws blank..... lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back