Schiit Magni Unity - Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #46 of 82
lol I have Grado and TH900 (both low impedance and easy to drive). That's good new I think????

Did you pair your Magni Unity with the build in Dac Card or did you have another Dac?

Otherwise yes amp pairing with Grado and TH900 has been hit or miss and purely random for me. :laughing:
I tried it with the built in Dac and the Bifrost. Bifrost gave it a bit better clarity but to be honest the Unity is fine by itself.

Jan 7, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #47 of 82
About the Magni Unity, I’ve been using Schiit Audio products for a long time. It started with the original Magni & Modi where you had to press the rubber feet in by hand. Yeah, long time ago. When the all in one version with the DAC inside came out, I was immediately attracted to it. In real live, it looks great with the new silver case and warm orange/red LED inside. The volume knob is better then before, you can clearly see what the dial is pointing at and the pot allows for finer control even at low levels without any imbalance between left and right. Of course it is not as smooth as bigger knob on the Asgard which may feel better but you do pay extra for that and personally I am more then happy with the volume control on this Magni Unity. The iteration improvements comparing it to the Magni Uber (which I love and still use for work) are really noticeable. It is so nice to have an all in one solution with DAC card. The box included a USB C to A cable which I use with a small USB A to C converter to hook the Magni Unity up to my Ipad Pro for streaming. The DAC inside includes the Unison USB tech and the ESS DAC. I was wondering how this sounds compared to the AKM DAC in the Modi without the Unison. Well, short version it is better. I do not need the separated DAC Modi, the DAC Card inside is really better. I noticed this right away on the highs. They are nicer sounding, more detailed and more live like. However I will be keeping the Modi as I also have a Loki Mini so when I want to EQ a certain album, I can do that in my new Schiit stack. Magni Unity what I use now most of the time and the stack Modi>Loki>Unity for if I want to EQ or use my CD Player connected through COAX. Perfect how this set has worked out. If I would start from scratch, I would use the Magni Unity with the Ipad Pro and be done. I find it that good sounding. The Magni Unity drives two headphones for me. A Beyerdynamic DT1990 with 250 OHMs. The amp has more then enough power to drive them at about 11 o’clock. And the Meze 99 Classics which have a much lower impedance at about 9 o’clock. I use both Cans in high gain setting. As with the Asgard I find high gain my preferred listening setting. The Asgard has too much power for my taste. Like I always was listening too loud where as the Magni is much better and just sounds right and I have more control. The Magni Unity with DAC has better highs as described. It drives the bass with precision and authority. Voices sound like you are there. The signature is just like the Asgard what I would describe as a happy amp. Something that you want to listen to for enjoyment of the music. So conclusion for me is that I am happy to have bought the Schiit Magni Unity. It really is a remarkable amp and it makes me want to listen to music.

Jan 7, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #48 of 82
About the Magni Unity, I’ve been using Schiit Audio products for a long time. It started with the original Magni & Modi where you had to press the rubber feet in by hand. Yeah, long time ago. When the all in one version with the DAC inside came out, I was immediately attracted to it. In real live, it looks great with the new silver case and warm orange/red LED inside. The volume knob is better then before, you can clearly see what the dial is pointing at and the pot allows for finer control even at low levels without any imbalance between left and right. Of course it is not as smooth as bigger knob on the Asgard which may feel better but you do pay extra for that and personally I am more then happy with the volume control on this Magni Unity. The iteration improvements comparing it to the Magni Uber (which I love and still use for work) are really noticeable. It is so nice to have an all in one solution with DAC card. The box included a USB C to A cable which I use with a small USB A to C converter to hook the Magni Unity up to my Ipad Pro for streaming. The DAC inside includes the Unison USB tech and the ESS DAC. I was wondering how this sounds compared to the AKM DAC in the Modi without the Unison. Well, short version it is better. I do not need the separated DAC Modi, the DAC Card inside is really better. I noticed this right away on the highs. They are nicer sounding, more detailed and more live like. However I will be keeping the Modi as I also have a Loki Mini so when I want to EQ a certain album, I can do that in my new Schiit stack. Magni Unity what I use now most of the time and the stack Modi>Loki>Unity for if I want to EQ or use my CD Player connected through COAX. Perfect how this set has worked out. If I would start from scratch, I would use the Magni Unity with the Ipad Pro and be done. I find it that good sounding. The Magni Unity drives two headphones for me. A Beyerdynamic DT1990 with 250 OHMs. The amp has more then enough power to drive them at about 11 o’clock. And the Meze 99 Classics which have a much lower impedance at about 9 o’clock. I use both Cans in high gain setting. As with the Asgard I find high gain my preferred listening setting. The Asgard has too much power for my taste. Like I always was listening too loud where as the Magni is much better and just sounds right and I have more control. The Magni Unity with DAC has better highs as described. It drives the bass with precision and authority. Voices sound like you are there. The signature is just like the Asgard what I would describe as a happy amp. Something that you want to listen to for enjoyment of the music. So conclusion for me is that I am happy to have bought the Schiit Magni Unity. It really is a remarkable amp and it makes me want to listen to music.
My friend, can you indent or space the text out a bit? My eyes are annoyed by the wall of texts.

But yes I agree with you, the Unity can drive planars. However, I don’t like listening to headphones in high gain as it fatigues my ears. The Jot2 does very well with planar cans.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #49 of 82
Intro:
About the Magni Unity, I’ve been using Schiit Audio products for a long time. It started with the original Magni & Modi where you had to press the rubber feet in by hand. Yeah, long time ago. When the all in one version with the DAC inside came out, I was immediately attracted to it.

What you get:
In real live, it looks great with the new silver case and warm orange/red LED inside. The volume knob is better then before, you can clearly see what the dial is pointing at and the pot allows for finer control even at low levels without any imbalance between left and right. Of course it is not as smooth as bigger knob on the Asgard which may feel better but you do pay extra for that and personally I am more then happy with the volume control on this Magni Unity. The iteration improvements comparing it to the Magni Uber (which I love and still use for work) are really noticeable. It is so nice to have an all in one solution with DAC card. The box included a USB C to A cable which I use with a small USB A to C converter to hook the Magni Unity up to my Ipad Pro for streaming.

DAC:
The DAC inside includes the Unison USB tech and the ESS DAC. I was wondering how this sounds compared to the AKM DAC in the Modi without the Unison. Well, short version it is better. I do not need the separated DAC Modi, the DAC Card inside is really better. I noticed this right away on the highs. They are nicer sounding, more detailed and more live like. However I will be keeping the Modi as I also have a Loki Mini so when I want to EQ a certain album, I can do that in my new Schiit stack. Magni Unity what I use now most of the time and the stack Modi>Loki>Unity for if I want to EQ or use my CD Player connected through COAX. Perfect how this set has worked out.

AMP:
If I would start from scratch, I would use the Magni Unity with the Ipad Pro and be done. I find it that good sounding. The Magni Unity drives two headphones for me. A Beyerdynamic DT1990 with 250 OHMs. The amp has more then enough power to drive them at about 11 o’clock. And the Meze 99 Classics which have a much lower impedance at about 9 o’clock. I use both Cans in high gain setting. As with the Asgard I find high gain my preferred listening setting. The Asgard has too much power for my taste. Like I always was listening too loud where as the Magni is much better and just sounds right and I have more control. The Magni Unity with DAC has better highs as described. It drives the bass with precision and authority. Voices sound like you are there.

Conclusion:
The signature is just like the Asgard what I would describe as a happy amp. Something that you want to listen to for enjoyment of the music. So conclusion for me is that I am happy to have bought the Schiit Magni Unity. It really is a remarkable amp and it makes me want to listen to music.

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #50 of 82
Just had my Magni (with internal DAC) delivered today. (side note. delivery from the US took only 2 days, which is very impressive).

I am using it for my Desktop set up which is an M1 MacBook Pro.

First impressions are very good with my HD650s. I use Roon so have applied a PEQ curve according to some recommended specs (10 band)
Very clean sound, with no noticeable noise at loud volume. The Magni can take the HD650s (300 Ohm) to an uncomfortably loud level in High gain (+15db).
I have it set on high gain and the volume level at 1pm which is plenty loud enough without being uncomfortable.

I also have line outs to Audioengine 2 powered speakers and that is an improvement (moderate) on the internal Audioengine 2 DAC.

Future upgrade may be a MODI and LOKI Mini, but for now all good.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #51 of 82
Has anyone had much experience using Unity as a preamp? Not that I expect any issues, but I also don't expect impressive performance. It would be surprising if there was a buzz that Unity outshone Kara for sound quality even though it only has one input and no remote control. It's for a non critical listening role, because though this may be an unpopular opinion, sometimes you just want to use speakers to play the TV loud enough to hear it from the kitchen.

Jan 13, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #52 of 82
Has anyone had much experience using Unity as a preamp? Not that I expect any issues, but I also don't expect impressive performance. It would be surprising if there was a buzz that Unity outshone Kara for sound quality even though it only has one input and no remote control. It's for a non critical listening role, because though this may be an unpopular opinion, sometimes you just want to use speakers to play the TV loud enough to hear it from the kitchen.
Uhh I just tried iPad mini to usb c in the Unity to my Jot 2. Unity set at high gain. Jot 2 set at low gain. Using Grado Hemp.

Impression: wow.

The stage is slightly narrower, the bass is sublime and hits you in the head, wow. There is a slight less treble and with it there is less sibilance on the high end (my Hemp is new and hasn’t been broken in yet).

I was able to hear background noise on some of my songs. This is not from hardware but the poor quality of the song itself. I tested this one high quality songs vs poor ones and you can hear all the details bad or good.

Over all it made my Hemp sound much better than when it was only the Jot 2. Is this what they called tube sound?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #53 of 82
My Magni Unity (without DAC) coming today. I'm going to use pre-amp feature only. I have already perfect DAC. I want to see if I can hear any differences to L30II and how it perform. I'll do impression on this week.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #54 of 82

I use my Magni as a headphone amp and also a preamp out to some powered speakers (audioengine). Maybe slightly better to my ears than the inbuilt preamp on the auidoengines. I set my powered speakers to 12 o clock on the gain dial and then control volume using the Magni.
Sounds very good.

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #55 of 82
First impressions. No clipping at high gain! L30II did clip when very low frequencies played. Device is running very cool. It's prettier than the L30 and volume control is better. Gain is little less than L30 but I don't mind that. Also the sound seems more robust with air between the chords. More coming later.

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #56 of 82
Well, just got one, myself and I'm stunned. The detail, cleanliness, and DEPTH ... my god! It's pretty freaking amazing. Has anyone else had issues with the connection being lost to the DAC, though? Sometimes if I touch the usb cable, the computer switches outputs like the Magni's been disconnected. It's not consistent, though. Sometimes I barely touch it and it happens. But sometimes I can shift the plugs around within the sockets at either end and nothing happens. But if I don't touch it at all, it plays fine for hours. I don't have this issue with any other usb devices — certainly not any audio devices.

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #57 of 82
Well, just got one, myself and I'm stunned. The detail, cleanliness, and DEPTH ... my god! It's pretty freaking amazing. Has anyone else had issues with the connection being lost to the DAC, though? Sometimes if I touch the usb cable, the computer switches outputs like the Magni's been disconnected. It's not consistent, though. Sometimes I barely touch it and it happens. But sometimes I can shift the plugs around within the sockets at either end and nothing happens. But if I don't touch it at all, it plays fine for hours. I don't have this issue with any other usb devices — certainly not any audio devices.
I find sometimes long USB C cable can be finicky, have you tried other cable?

Some of my USB C cable is more buggy than others,

Try a few different shorter cables. :relaxed:

Jan 31, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #60 of 82
You are correct. I have the same problem if I touch ANY of the switches, knobs, or port of the amp while music is playing. Just keep your hands off and everyone is happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back