Schiit Magni Unity - Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2023 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

XERO1

Headphoneus Supremus
magni unity silver front.jpg
magni unity blk front slv.jpg
magni unity back black.jpg

https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-unity

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-8726#post-17831390

Specs:

Output Power:

Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 3.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2.5W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.5W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 415mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 220mW RMS per channel
Output Impedance: ¼” TRS output: < 0.1 ohms, Preamp output: 75 ohms
Input Impedance: 50k ohms
Gain: 0.3 (-10dB), 1 (0dB), 5 (15dB)
Topology: Fully discrete, DC coupled, current feedback, highly linear open-loop with low loop feedback
Protection: Failsafe DC power input and muting relay, overcurrent sensing and output lift, DC servo
Power Supply: 100% linear supply with “Wall wart” style 14-16VAC transformer, regulated +/-17V rails with over 8,000uF total filter capacitance
Power Consumption: 2W idle, 12W max
Size: 5 x 3.5 x 1.25”
Weight: 2 lbs
Price: $119 (black), $129 (brushed aluminum) + $70 (Unity DAC card)

Everybody say 'Hello' to Jason's newest little Schiit, the Magni Unity! :gs1000smile:

It's the first-ever Magni to have a built-in DAC card option, which turns it into a little, fully-discrete, DAC-amp powerhouse!!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 82
First, these impressions are based on an imperfect audition at CanJam Dallas. That said, I listened to each amp at the Schiit table for ~5 minutes each. So grains of salt for what comes ahead.

The Magni Unity that I auditioned was a Unity with the 9018 DAC card included. I played songs from Qobuz. I do not have the exact playlist memorized, but know that I chose music from Plini, TOOL, and Ludovico Einaudi. My first impression was that I actually found the sound of the Magni Unity to be more subjectively enjoyable to listen to than the Midgard that was also on the table. The Midgard sound from the SE output sounded compressed, and while the detail was center stage, I just didn't get the most enjoyment out of it. The Magni Unity on the other hand was nice, smooth at lower volumes, quite dynamic when turning the dial past ~2pm on low gain. I can't speak to any longer term opinions or checking it against my Hel+ in a more objective way--my general impression is that I found the Magni Unity to be superior to the Hel+, but again that's using audio memory, which is flawed. My only real complaint, and it's more of a quibble: the USB C orientation being vertical instead of horizontal, I wonder if that is the best way to orient the USB C port. I can't say one way or another, but I prefer my ports horizontal, and I can't explain why beyond thinking that with the USB C port parallel and soldered to the pcb (such as on the Modius E) makes me think it would be more sturdy.

When considering the price point of sub 200 for a pretty damned good sounding amp/dac combo, I genuinely think this will make for a killer product from a sales perspective, but also a great choice for users who don't want a stack, but still want a discrete amp topology from Schiit. I hope to have more thorough impressions down the road when I may own a Magni Unity.

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 82
I liked what I heard enough at CanJam Dallas to order one to play with. It arrived today, but sat out in the freezing weather all afternoon, so I’m going to let it acclimate before I get it out of the package.

Nov 27, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 82
Magni Unity vs. Piety? Any impressions?

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 82
Magni Unity vs. Piety? Any impressions?
Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to listen to a Piety (yet). I imagine soon that some piety owners will get the unity with the dac card and we can get more impressions that have some comparisons for you. Fingers crossed.

Dec 2, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 82
For the longest time I've been enjoy the sound out of my tube amps (Lyr 3 and Project Solstice).

But I always find it tedious when I have to just check something quickly (Zoom call or Youtube) that just need to have sound but quality doesn't matter.

I recently bought a USB powered dac/amp out of convenience (Concero HP). Now that I think about it maybe I should've waited a bit longer for more impressions and go for either Magni Unity or Midgard. My only issue with Midgard is that it's said to be neutral, coming from tube amp I kind of prefer a more colored sound.

Curious how Magni Unity sounds in terms of sound signature.
The Midgard sound from the SE output sounded compressed, and while the detail was center stage, I just didn't get the most enjoyment out of it.
Ah so if I ever do pick up Midgard I should definitely buy a balanced cable then.

How did you find the Magni Unity? From experience I always find smaller Schiit amps sound small. Until you get to the bigger units such as Lyr 3 then it can sound huge.

Magni Piety is better in that regard but still sound smaller than Lyr 3 I guess (can't be helped I guess, consider tube also price point).

Does Magni Unity sound reasonably bigger compare to the older versions?

EDIT: oh forgot to ask, I also always find smaller Schiit amp the volume knob is always stiff and hard and not smooth like the bigger amps. Is it still the same?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #8 of 82
It doesn't matter for Zoom or YouTube.
Sorry for clarification, I've always hope to find a solid state unit that can replace my Lyr 3 and Solstice entirely. (Probably doesn't exist or if it exists will cost way more haha)

I don't like swapping 2 sets of amps back and forth. That or even if it's not better but close enough that I could just use 1 set of dac and amp for most general use.

Like tube is my ideal sound, USB powered is my ideal convenience (so I never have to think about turning it on/off). I was hoping to find a middle ground, which is probably just a wall powered solid state amp lol.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #10 of 82
And you want to find it in the cheapest model in the line, right? :)
Well a few things, it's after Black Friday so I'm poor now but still want to buy/try more things LOL.

And yes it's true, the guy who sold me Lyr 3 upgraded to GS-X Mini so that's probably the more correct direction that I should've went. :laughing:

But I've also been bedazzled by all the hype surrounding Midgard and Magni Unity and maybe wishful thinking that it would be giant killers??? More so I just want to try new things I guess lol.

Dec 4, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #12 of 82
I doubt their cheap one kills their expensive one. This is consistent with the principle of conservation of energy, yet contradicts the second law of thermodynamics.
Well I guess comparing Lyr 3 to Magni Unity is maybe too different of a comparison.

What I was thinking.... is that it might be difficult for me to pick 1 between Jot2 vs Midgard say for example.

Logically speaking Jot2 is better because it's a bigger and more expensive unit and it's position higher in the Schiit lineup.

But from what I gathered is that Jot2 and Midgard are really close it just depend on taste, so I can definitely see some people recommend Midgard over Jot2 depending on preference. At this point Midgard basically sabotaged Jot2 sales.

But ultimately Jason is just too good at selling me new products LOL. The Schiit Happened Chapters is just too good LOL.

EDIT1: Another example is like Asgard 1 vs Magni Unity, it's like at which point does the new technology overtake the older beefier unit despite power/size limitations.

EDIT2: Reword a few more things to make it sound a bit nicer LOL. But I definitely agree with your point.

EDIT3: Sorry I realize my explanation is a bit confusing, but what I'm trying to say is that at some point the newer Magni Unity should overtake the older Schiit units due to advancement in technology.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 82
Everyone wants a comparison. I had been meaning to get a Magni+ for IEMs. I compared specs and thought long and hard about the discounted price. I doubt I’ll ever add a DAC card, though if I took it to work, it should be a significant improvement over the Fulla. Ultimately the Alps pot and aluminum cover did it for me. Going to rearrange a few things. I have complete confidence this thing will be a slam dunk at its price point and my use case. Thread could use some more pictures. I’ll see what I can do when I get it. Tunes in every room.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #14 of 82
Everyone wants a comparison. I had been meaning to get a Magni+ for IEMs. I compared specs and thought long and hard about the discounted price. I doubt I’ll ever add a DAC card, though if I took it to work, it should be a significant improvement over the Fulla. Ultimately the Alps pot and aluminum cover did it for me. Going to rearrange a few things. I have complete confidence this thing will be a slam dunk at its price point and my use case. Thread could use some more pictures. I’ll see what I can do when I get it. Tunes in every room.
Looking forward to your impression!

Also please let us know if the new volume pot is actually different than the old one in terms of feeling. I always disliked the smaller volume pot on Schiit amps. The bigger ones feels nicer (like on Lyr, Asgard, Jot.....etc).

So hopefully there's improvement on Magni Unity.

Dec 9, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #15 of 82
Looking forward to your impression!

Also please let us know if the new volume pot is actually different than the old one in terms of feeling. I always disliked the smaller volume pot on Schiit amps. The bigger ones feels nicer (like on Lyr, Asgard, Jot.....etc).

So hopefully there's improvement on Magni Unity.
I never felt the old pot, this one seems silky smooth. Didn’t notice any low level imbalance. Drives Sundara just fine even in negative gain mode. I did turn it up all the way, but even in negative gain it got a little too loud. Chassis is still cool to the touch after about half an hour of playing in low gain for the Sundara. Just switched to Holocene. No hiss at all with no music playing in negative gain mode. In low at full volume you can just sense it starting if not fully hear it. High gain has hiss, but that’s to be expected. My comfort volume levels are fairly low so 9 o’clock gets the very sensitive Holocene where I want to go. I think they’re about 114dB/mW but Campfire’s specs require a little calculation.
IMG_8867.jpeg

I actually ran the tape out from my integrated amp to the Unity. I figured it might be better than a Y cable except I need to have it powered on but muted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back