Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jan 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #991 of 2,252
Quote:
I've only had a chance to use my setup with the Magni a few times since receiving it (darn life!), but last night I had the displeasure of running clearly into the channel imbalance.  Earlier, I thought I only noticed it up to about 8 o'clock on the volume pot, maybe 8:30.  But while watching a movie last night I kept feeling the sound was a bit left heavy.  I glanced at the pot and noticed I was at about 9:15.  It wasn't until I got around 10 that I got even balance.

So, that got me thinking about the attenuators ninjames picked up, which sound promising.  I'm wondering, though, if they wouldn't be beneficial due to my current setup?  I don't have a DAC; I'm just using a Mixamp with the Magni for games and movies.  My question is, doesn't using my Mixamp's volume knob kinda act as an attenuator?  If I turn it down a bit to help the Magni push higher on it's pot, am I compromising the quality any?

You seem to have more imbalance than what is considered "normal" for the Magni. Getting it past whisper volumes means you should probably shoot Jason an email and get a replacement.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #993 of 2,252
Quote:
You seem to have more imbalance than what is considered "normal" for the Magni. Getting it past whisper volumes means you should probably shoot Jason an email and get a replacement.

Yikes, didn't realize that was worse than "normal."  Ok, will do.  Appreciate the feedback.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #994 of 2,252
Quote:
Yikes, didn't realize that was worse than "normal."  Ok, will do.  Appreciate the feedback.

Yeah, mine's balanced starting around 8 (if not a little bit before).

Also, if you're running it through a surge protector or something give it a try straight out of the wall. When at the meet I had some weird imbalance going on once everyone else plugged in their stuff and it went away after others had left.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #995 of 2,252
Quote:

Yeah, mine's balanced starting around 8 (if not a little bit before).

Also, if you're running it through a surge protector or something give it a try straight out of the wall. When at the meet I had some weird imbalance going on once everyone else plugged in their stuff and it went away after others had left.

No surge protector, but I do have the wall wart plugged into a basic white extension cord.  I suppose I'll try it straight into the wall and see if that changes anything.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #996 of 2,252
Quote:
No surge protector, but I do have the wall wart plugged into a basic white extension cord.  I suppose I'll try it straight into the wall and see if that changes anything.

Yeah, I sort of doubt it will then, but doesn't hurt to try that first before getting it replaced.

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #997 of 2,252
Quote:

Yeah, I sort of doubt it will then, but doesn't hurt to try that first before getting it replaced.

Sure, and I'll probably still give it a go.

Good news, though, is I already heard back from Jason and he's arranging a replacement.  That was fast!

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #999 of 2,252
I know you'll think i'm nuts, but if you use a massive surge protector with your Magni, try it without. Don't think about it, just do it.
Unplug it when not in use.
People can say i'm hearing things all they want, but the Magni and all my other amps sound best without one
normal_smile .gif

The differences are much easier to hear on closed and somewhat bassy/warm headphones.

I switched surge protectors and thought I fixed the problem, but apparently not.

BTW it's not an issue with the amp. All my amps degrade with a surge protector. Don't know why.
Some more than others. I can't detect an ounce of difference with my Q710 or fairly neutral open headphones.

When I have my Micro plugged into a surge protector and use the HD-650, the low mids are too forward and the soundstage is compressed.
The bass gets a bit bloated too. Sounds noticeably less clear.

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #1,000 of 2,252
Don't know if you're speaking specifically to me or not tdock, but no, no surge protector in my setup.  Your earlier posts on the subject made me steer clear of using one!

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #1,001 of 2,252
[size=10pt]First up sorry if this is covered already in this thread and yes it's a pretty dull source setup question (is that the sound of forum members sighing?).[/size]

[size=10pt]Along side a pair of orthos like most people on this forum I also have some 32ohm HPs. I'm thinking that I may at times use the iPhone4 as the source for the Magni using the 30pin line level audio output to RCA. [/size][size=10pt][size=10pt]My understanding however is that I won’t be able to very volume of the iPhone source because I’d be bypassing the iPhone’s internal amp. Is this correct??[/size][/size]

[size=10pt][size=10pt]If so I’m guessing that I wont be able to comfortably use the iPhone4 > Magni > 32ohm HPs because of the x5 gain. [/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][/size]

[size=10pt] [/size]

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #1,003 of 2,252
I know you'll think i'm nuts, but if you use a massive surge protector with your Magni, try it without. Don't think about it, just do it.
Unplug it when not in use.
People can say i'm hearing things all they want, but the Magni and all my other amps sound best without one
normal_smile%20.gif

The differences are much easier to hear on closed and somewhat bassy/warm headphones.

I switched surge protectors and thought I fixed the problem, but apparently not.

BTW it's not an issue with the amp. All my amps degrade with a surge protector. Don't know why.
Some more than others. I can't detect an ounce of difference with my Q710 or fairly neutral open headphones.

When I have my Micro plugged into a surge protector and use the HD-650, the low mids are too forward and the soundstage is compressed.
The bass gets a bit bloated too. Sounds noticeably less clear.

What are your thoughts on the Furman AC-215a.
http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=02&id=AC-215A

It is more than a surge suppressor. It reconditions and regenerates the AC wave form.

I use one with my Bifrost/Lyr and I plan on getting another one for my M/M

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,005 of 2,252
Ok having some more hum/static/buzzing issues.  Using my magni to connect to my HD cable box to watch ondemand and such via RCA cables.  I am getting a loud buzzing/humming that slowly rises and peaks and then falls again in a cycle.  It does not get louder with the volume pot.  It goes away when the RCA's are not connected and I have tried different wall socket and plugging magni into same surge protector as cable box. Just touching either of the RCA cables to the inputs on the magni generates the buzz.  Is this a function of my cable box not grounded properly or just magni is sensitive enough to pick up on this?  I don't hear it when using my E7.    Any ideas? Do I need a DAC with optical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back