Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jan 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #1,021 of 2,252
Defiant00 i think did a comparison of modi/magni to asgard/bifrost with lcd2 and found them very similar. Or maybe it was tmraven...

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #1,022 of 2,252
Defiant00 i think did a comparison of modi/magni to asgard/bifrost with lcd2 and found them very similar. Or maybe it was tmraven...

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #1,023 of 2,252
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

That's encouraging

Although I peeked and Defiant00 has the M/M up for sale.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #1,024 of 2,252
He said thr A/B combo was just a little better and didnt need to have two sets around. FWIW i am using magni with a pair of mad dogs and it sounds incredible.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #1,025 of 2,252
He said thr A/B combo was just a little better and didnt need to have two sets around. FWIW i am using magni with a pair of mad dogs and it sounds incredible.

Many thanks
For my application I like the small size and the USB powered Modi, even though Optical is my preference.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #1,027 of 2,252
I have to keep my expectations in check.

It's not going to come close to a Lyr with vintage tubes.
Sublime

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #1,028 of 2,252
Concerned to hear about all these Magni issues, attenuators, etc.

I ordered my M/M stack today as a second listening station.
They will be paired with LCD2 R1's

My other stack is a Bifrost and Lyr with LCD2 R2's
Vintage tubes.

I originally went big on the second stack with a Lyr and a backordered Gungnir.
Today, I tired of waiting for the Gungnir and decided to "go small"
I sent back the unused Lyr and cancelled the Gungnir.

My question.
Is anyone using the M/M with LCD2's ?

I am not liking what I am reading in this thread.
I usually subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" philosophy.

I don't think the LCD2.2 is a good match with the Magni and Modi. Keep in mind that my point of reference is the Mjolnir (or Lyr) with the Gungnir. The M&M are clearly limiting factors feeding the LCD2.2--not to say it sounds bad, but it's really held back. Other people are just fine with the M&M/LCD2, so it doesn't hurt to see what you think.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #1,029 of 2,252
Quote:

Basically this, and all my testing was with the LCD-2s. As far as Schiit amps go I actually prefer solid state, so Asgard is my favorite (haven't heard the Mjolnir yet) with Magni right behind it, mainly for aesthetic and a better volume control. I like the Lyr too, but its sound signature just wasn't really for me (the tubes I most preferred ended up having it sounding like the Asgard).

I actually think the bigger difference is between the DACs, and honestly with both over USB I'd say even those are 90%+ the same.

The M&M is really quite remarkable for the price, and I like it a lot with my LCD-2s, I just don't have a need for multiple setups so it's been sold.

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #1,031 of 2,252
Quote:
I don't think the LCD2.2 is a good match with the Magni and Modi. Keep in mind that my point of reference is the Mjolnir (or Lyr) with the Gungnir. The M&M are clearly limiting factors feeding the LCD2.2--not to say it sounds bad, but it's really held back. Other people are just fine with the M&M/LCD2, so it doesn't hurt to see what you think.

Barry,
Thanks for the opinion.  I'm keeping my expectations at a realistic level and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.  There are tradeoff's and in this case it's cash. Not Johnny, although I will play "When the Man Comes Around".

Quote:

Basically this, and all my testing was with the LCD-2s. As far as Schiit amps go I actually prefer solid state, so Asgard is my favorite (haven't heard the Mjolnir yet) with Magni right behind it, mainly for aesthetic and a better volume control. I like the Lyr too, but its sound signature just wasn't really for me (the tubes I most preferred ended up having it sounding like the Asgard).

I actually think the bigger difference is between the DACs, and honestly with both over USB I'd say even those are 90%+ the same.

The M&M is really quite remarkable for the price, and I like it a lot with my LCD-2s, I just don't have a need for multiple setups so it's been sold.

Def,
Your's is another opinion I respect.  Makes sense as to why you moved the M&M out.   I'm glad you purchased the set and reviewed them.  Again, while keeping expectations in check, I'm encouraged by your comments about pairing with LDC2's.

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,032 of 2,252
Barry,
Thanks for the opinion.  I'm keeping my expectations at a realistic level and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.  There are tradeoff's and in this case it's cash. Not Johnny, although I will play "When the Man Comes Around".

Def,
Your's is another opinion I respect.  Makes sense as to why you moved the M&M out.   I'm glad you purchased the set and reviewed them.  Again, while keeping expectations in check, I'm encouraged by your comments about pairing with LDC2's.

Thanks! Honestly, as long as you keep the price in mind I think you're going to enjoy them quite a bit.

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #1,033 of 2,252
With regards to the buzzing via rca connections on my cable box i tested it on my blu ray player and got the same noises. I went ahead and ordered a little ground loop isolater like people use for automotive audio setups. Will test with this next week. I am hopeful it can eliminate this issue.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #1,034 of 2,252
Jan 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #1,035 of 2,252
I'll be interested in hearing what you think. Part of my issue may just be A/B-ing the M&M with the MJ&G.  I've been listening to my HD650 with the M&M at work for a while now--and I love it--I think I've adjusted to the sound.

Quote:
Barry,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back