Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jan 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #767 of 2,252
Quote:
Not sure if this has already been asked/answered, but I'm wondering how does the Schiit Magni fare with the Beyerdynamic DT 990 600 Ohm version? I'm looking for a good transportable amp that I can use with both my travel companions my DT 990s and Senn 650s. I've already read plenty on the synergy between the HD650s and the amp, but haven't seen anything about the DT990s.

I'm also very interested to hear about this! One thing I've read is that the Magni may undesirably exacerbate the DT990's already bright treble. That said, I own neither a Magni nor a 600-ohm DT990 -- I'm actually looking at buying both -- and I've never heard a DT990, so all I can go by is what I've heard here and there, for what it's worth.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #768 of 2,252
Quote:
I'm also very interested to hear about this! One thing I've read is that the Magni may undesirably exacerbate the DT990's already bright treble. That said, I own neither a Magni nor a 600-ohm DT990 -- I'm actually looking at buying both -- and I've never heard a DT990, so all I can go by is what I've heard here and there, for what it's worth.

Cool, thanks for the info. Yea, I haven't read anything on how the Magni synergizes with the DT 990s. I currently own both, but the Magni has not arrived yet. I asked a few time in different threads, but no one seemed to know. So I guess I will just have to find out myself. Anyways, I'll post my impressions on the two when the Magni arrives and I allow proper burn-in time.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #769 of 2,252
Quote:

So i decided on just buying rca cables in a local store (didn't even knew they had them). Still none from monoprice, im gonna cancel the order.
But on the bright side, these things are fantastic.

It appears as if you enjoy your setup. Might I ask, what kind of music do you listen to? I just ordered this exact same setup this past weekend and listen to a lot of EDM. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #770 of 2,252
Quote:
It appears as if you enjoy your setup. Might I ask, what kind of music do you listen to? I just ordered this exact same setup this past weekend and listen to a lot of EDM. 

Same, EDM is a big one for me. But i also listen to things like Radiohead, Muse, Arcade Fire, etc.
As for what kinds of edm: Chillstep, Dubstep (both brostep and older dubstep), House, Progressive, Drum and Bass, etc.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #771 of 2,252
Quote:
I had the same thought reading the review.

It also makes me a little worried that the Magni should not work well with headphones that has much bass or a large soundstage, that covers most of my cans.

Guess I'll find out for myself soon enough, my Magni has landed in Norway so I should have it in a couple of days.

Peter, have you found an alternative power supply ('wall wart') for the Magni? The one supplied is US 110v only - isn't Norway the standard 220v?

There was some discussion on alternative EU safe adapters, this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/390121830472?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 on eBay was mentioned.

Let me know as I'm keen to order the M&M combo but have been holding off due to the power issue.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #772 of 2,252
I've got an old 100w step down converter (220v to 110v). My plan is to try it out with this first. If it bring hiss or other unwelcome noises I'll get one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150787641679?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Just need to check that the connector has the right size (it looks as if it does).

Edit: Wrong link, fixed

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #773 of 2,252
Quote:
Fully agree.

Also, apparently someone needs to tell my Magni to stop powering my LCD-2s well. While I'm not going to make any grandiose giant-slaying claims, they certainly aren't lacking in bass. Maybe he just meant that it doesn't have exaggerated bass...I don't know.

I'm glad to hear that the Magni can power the LCD-2's. This little thing packs quite a large punch. I'm tempted to start saving up for a pair of LCD-2's myself. 
L3000.gif

Keep in mind that these are very early impressions with one specific headphone. Your experience way vary / be totally different. 
beerchug.gif

Now, to answer the question about the Magni "lacking bass" from that review. I have found that when I use my Magni with my V-Moda Crossfade LP's that there was is a major change in their bass sound signature compared to the X-Fi Titanium HD headphone out.

The mid-bass hump really flattened out, and the bass is now much more punchier than bloated. I would also say that the detailing in the bass is better, and the mids / highs are a bit more clear. This also could be due to the bass levels being more focused and less in your face. 

However, depending on what you are looking for this might be a negative. They went from wub wub to a bit more like pow pow. Almost a bit like the bass on the Grado's, but with a decent amount of more punch / meat. I'm not saying that the Magni magically made these sound like Grado's, but the bass has more punch to it like my Grado headphones have. Just more of it. 
smile_phones.gif

I'm going to have to listen some more with the Magni, and A/B test them to see what is going on with the major change in the sound signature. The music source for the above impressions is MOG (320Kbps MP3.) The Windows volume is at 20 and the Magni's dial is between 10/11. (If 12 is the little volume wedge symbol) 

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #774 of 2,252
I agree. With the he400's, it seems that, like many jfet based amps, its not the amplitude of the bass that's improved, its the control and speed. this makes the bass "sharper" and more impactful, but not excessive or "increased" with respect to the rest of the spectrum. Its exactly as a well designed budget jfet/mosfet amp should preform

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #776 of 2,252
Quote:

I'm glad to hear that the Magni can power the LCD-2's. This little thing packs quite a large punch. I'm tempted to start saving up for a pair of LCD-2's myself. 
L3000.gif

Keep in mind that these are very early impressions with one specific headphone. Your experience way vary / be totally different. 
beerchug.gif

Now, to answer the question about the Magni "lacking bass" from that review. I have found that when I use my Magni with my V-Moda Crossfade LP's that there was is a major change in their bass sound signature compared to the X-Fi Titanium HD headphone out.

The mid-bass hump really flattened out, and the bass is now much more punchier than bloated. I would also say that the detailing in the bass is better, and the mids / highs are a bit more clear. This also could be due to the bass levels being more focused and less in your face. 

However, depending on what you are looking for this might be a negative. They went from wub wub to a bit more like pow pow. Almost a bit like the bass on the Grado's, but with a decent amount of more punch / meat. I'm not saying that the Magni magically made these sound like Grado's, but the bass has more punch to it like my Grado headphones have. Just more of it. 
smile_phones.gif

I'm going to have to listen some more with the Magni, and A/B test them to see what is going on with the major change in the sound signature. The music source for the above impressions is MOG (320Kbps MP3.) The Windows volume is at 20 and the Magni's dial is between 10/11. (If 12 is the little volume wedge symbol) 

Interesting that there's that much of a difference with the LPs, glad to hear that you appear to be enjoying the Magni.

The LCD-2s are excellent...of course, then you'll want a standalone DAC, then a better amp, then go balanced, etc.
I do feel that the cans typically make the most difference though, so that's probably the direction I'd go first.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #779 of 2,252
sorry for the dumb question, but will ANY voltage converter work? iv got one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voltage-Valet-50-2000-WATT-DUAL-POWER-Foreign-TRAVEL-Voltage-CONVERTER-NEW-/200868938564?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec4b8c344

i stole it from work and it sais its for "using american 110v products in countrys that use 220v electricity" but it also sais "electronic appliances rated OVER 50 watts may be damaged if used with the converter" and i couldnt find any watt rating on the schiit site (i also dint know what it means).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back