Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jan 8, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #751 of 2,252
Quote:
I've never owned a headphone amp before so I don't know if this is just a normal problem but I have it just running off my computer not with a dac and I can understand the hiss as I always had this(though it is very noticeable at even low volume with the amp unlike before I had to turn it all the way up to hear it) but there's this electric wave kinda sound sound that goes in and out over time that goes along with it that's really annoying when not listening to music, is this just a problem with the on board sound and the amp is just amping it to it's extremes and am just hearing all the interference on the motherboard?

Found this post somewhat late, but if you're running this from an auxiliary connector like a front panel, antec and even my lian li case both had the audio jack's ground tied into the USB ground... which resulted in extra hiss and cpu-related "tick" noises.  Unplugging the front panel USB (or firewire) headers is a temporary way to test if it's a ground loop by removing the "loop".

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #752 of 2,252
Quote:
ok just some minutiae here for a sec.  I had my e7 plugged into one of my USB outlets on the back of my computer, one of 4 or 6 that is next to the ethernet and just above the video card etc...

SO I was hearing some static from the magni and it wasn't volume related.  It would not get louder or only happen when I moved the pot.  So I turned my music off and turned the volume all the way up and I started to hear almost a rhythm from my headphones.  It sounded like the spinning of my HD and was almost like a humming.  I moved the USB around to one of my usb ports on the front of the case and the static/hum is gone. Lesson here is that computers are not the best transports and interference is a problem.

and I am still loving the Magni.  Acoustic guitar and older rock is awesome.

edit: static/hum is not gone.  Looks like I have a USB ground loop issue.  Might have to get a new dac for optical.  

The signal exiting the USB should still be digital, meaning static shouldn't be an issue like it would be with an analog, low voltage signal like typical analog audio.  The USB ground loop I had manifested itself as cpu-hard drive background noise/interference in the front panel audio connection. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #753 of 2,252
Posted in the other thread but thought I'd mention it here as well, review on Headfonia:

http://www.headfonia.com/schitty-magni-and-modi/2/

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #756 of 2,252
Quote:
Worst part of that review is the misleading bit about a "good" USB cable costing you $30. How silly.

I had the same thought reading the review.

It also makes me a little worried that the Magni should not work well with headphones that has much bass or a large soundstage, that covers most of my cans.

Guess I'll find out for myself soon enough, my Magni has landed in Norway so I should have it in a couple of days.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #757 of 2,252
The he400 is both bassy and soundstageful-, if such a thing is even a word. They're a great match with the magni, which is clean and powerful.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #758 of 2,252
Yes, I've noticed that many think that HE400 is a good combination with the Magni. In the review it's said that "I would call it an ok amplifier for the Hifiman HE400" .  

Reading here gives the impression that this combinaton is more than just ok. Difference in taste I'll guess.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #759 of 2,252
Quote:
Posted in the other thread but thought I'd mention it here as well, review on Headfonia:
http://www.headfonia.com/schitty-magni-and-modi/2/

Kind of a poor review. People can send me hate mail if they want. Felt like the person was reviewing something for Schiit and they didn't want to say anything bad and the reader is supposed to guess what the heck they meant.
I read that nonsense and it's basically like the whole review skips over what it actually sounds like or it's signature.

Here's what I've deciphered:

Not good for anything with a spacious soundstage (what?!)
Not good for a bass heavy headphone (why?)
Good for a smoother sounding headphone

What the...

Sorry, i'm grumpy today..

EDIT: I hope someone will just come out and tell us if the Magni has rolled off bass or what. Maybe a tad, but can't be that bad.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #760 of 2,252
Quote:

Kind of a poor review. People can send me hate mail if they want. Felt like the person was reviewing something for Schiit and they didn't want to say anything bad and the reader is supposed to guess what the heck they meant.
I read that nonsense and it's basically like the whole review skips over what it actually sounds like or it's signature.

Here's what I've deciphered:

Not good for anything with a spacious soundstage (what?!)
Not good for a bass heavy headphone (why?)
Good for a smoother sounding headphone

What the...

Sorry, i'm grumpy today..

EDIT: I hope someone will just come out and tell us if the Magni has rolled off bass or what. Maybe a tad, but can't be that bad.

I agree with you completely, I have no idea what the heck they were trying to say in that whole review and then going "Monoprice cables sounded like garbage, so it'll be closer to $250-300 after good cables" really made me realize that Headfonia still writes terrible component reviews. They just jump straight on board every single audiophile myth in my opinion.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #761 of 2,252
Fully agree.

Also, apparently someone needs to tell my Magni to stop powering my LCD-2s well. While I'm not going to make any grandiose giant-slaying claims, they certainly aren't lacking in bass. Maybe he just meant that it doesn't have exaggerated bass...I don't know.

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #762 of 2,252
The Headfonia reviews really need some editing before they get published.  By in large, I think a lot of informal head-fi reviews are better written and more helpful.  It looks like the author spent some time reading the head-fi threads on the M&M and makes some generalizations that aren't supported by his own listening experiences. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #764 of 2,252

So i decided on just buying rca cables in a local store (didn't even knew they had them). Still none from monoprice, im gonna cancel the order.
But on the bright side, these things are fantastic.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #765 of 2,252
Fully agree.

Also, apparently someone needs to tell my Magni to stop powering my LCD-2s well. While I'm not going to make any grandiose giant-slaying claims, they certainly aren't lacking in bass. Maybe he just meant that it doesn't have exaggerated bass...I don't know.

Okay, I've got the stack hooked up with the PS500s connected (Fleetwood Mac's Rumours playing) and... they sound good. I'd venture to say that I know that album just about as well as anyone can know a recording, and nothing negative is jumping out at me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back