Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jan 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #707 of 2,252
I hear a slight high pitched noise with magni/modi when nothing is playing, mostly on the right channel and it fluctuates. Does anyone else experience it?

Check for electrical interference. I had some noise when using the magni even with no dac plugged into it, turns out it was my powerline adapter causing the static. Plugging it into a different room fixed it. Could be a ground loop or something. Trial and error.

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #708 of 2,252
So overall I find this stack hella good. Is it TEH UBER GIANT KILLER MEASURING 45356324564124X BETTER THAN YOUR 2K AMP/DAC?!?!

No, and it isn't supposed to be. But for anyone sticking in low/mid tier gear, or have a portable rig as a main setup, this rig is great. The only negative I've really found is there is some interference from my phone (this is likely the static sound in 1 channel many are hearing; it was my issue too.)

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #709 of 2,252
 FWIW - Just got my Magni/Modi stack today and it absolutely destroys my E17/E09K combo. I don't have any audio vernacular to throw around, everything I listen to just sounds so much better. Never heard my HE-400s sound so good. At $99/ea I'm completely blown away to be honest. Now I need a new portable amp/dac... and maybe a new set of 'phones a step above the HE-400's. Hopefully this little Schiit can handle some of the big boys. *insert the sound of my wallet emptying*

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #712 of 2,252
Quote:
Check for electrical interference. I had some noise when using the magni even with no dac plugged into it, turns out it was my powerline adapter causing the static. Plugging it into a different room fixed it. Could be a ground loop or something. Trial and error.

You would hope being a 'better' quality amp it would have filters built in for this type of noises

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #713 of 2,252
You would hope being a 'better' quality amp it would have filters built in for this type of noises

Yea. Powerline adapter sends internet signal through electrical sockets around the house. The magni i guess is sensitive enough to pick up the static caused by this. I never noticed it on my e7 because that isnt plugged into a wall. Would something like the Lyr filter that out? It seems to me its a problem with the design of the electrical circuitry of my house. Having powerline adapter on same outlet as magni walwart is the problem, i dont fault the magni here.

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #714 of 2,252
Quote:
Yea. Powerline adapter sends internet signal through electrical sockets around the house. The magni i guess is sensitive enough to pick up the static caused by this. I never noticed it on my e7 because that isnt plugged into a wall. Would something like the Lyr filter that out? It seems to me its a problem with the design of the electrical circuitry of my house. Having powerline adapter on same outlet as magni walwart is the problem, i dont fault the magni here.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but yea, any of the more expensive models should be fine. One big reason this is so affordable (and why it is more sensitive IIRC) is that little wall wart. Usually the power supply is not only more robust, but built in. This filters a lot of stray signal. With the Magni, however, this is not the case. I know I had a similar grounding issue when I had an Audioengine D1 since it was fed power from the computer. Turns out there was a grounding issue in my mobo.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #715 of 2,252
Quote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but yea, any of the more expensive models should be fine. One big reason this is so affordable (and why it is more sensitive IIRC) is that little wall wart. Usually the power supply is not only more robust, but built in. This filters a lot of stray signal. With the Magni, however, this is not the case. I know I had a similar grounding issue when I had an Audioengine D1 since it was fed power from the computer. Turns out there was a grounding issue in my mobo.

I'm not sure this is the case, I believe the wall wart is just an AC transformer isn't it?

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #716 of 2,252
Quote:

I'm not sure this is the case, I believe the wall wart is just an AC transformer isn't it?

I believe that I read somewhere that the Magni has a similar power stage to the Asgard. EDIT: See post below by Jason Stoddard. The only difference is that the AC transformer that steps the power down is now outside of the case (wall wart) so they were able to make the case smaller. Also, due to them now working with 16v AC they were able to use smaller / cheaper components to filter / convert the power inside the amp. 

This allowed them to keep the costs low, but keep performance quite high. It looks like the entire left side of the PCB is dedicated to the 16v AC power supply in the Magni, and hopefully it does a good job filtering. From the first impressions people have posted, it sounds like it does because people are saying that it's quite silent / accurate. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #717 of 2,252
Quote:
I believe that I read somewhere that the Magni has a similar power stage to the Asgard. 

Completely, utterly wrong.

Magni's output stage is more similar to a Bifrost's analog stage (on a lot of steroids, that is). It's unlike anything else we make.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #719 of 2,252
Quote:

Completely, utterly wrong.

Magni's output stage is more similar to a Bifrost's analog stage (on a lot of steroids, that is). It's unlike anything else we make.

beerchug.gif
 Thank you for the clarification. I have no clue where I read that about the Magni, but clearly it was wrong. I've edited my other post to direct readers to yours. I don't want to spread false information about your amp.  

This is why it's awesome when the manufacture / designer takes the time to talk to the community. I wish that more companies would take the time to do the same. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #720 of 2,252
   Just ordered a Magni to go with the HD 600's I've owned for years but not used much because they don't sound that great ampless
happy_face1.gif
. The Magni sounds like a great match for the 600's. I'm hoping it will work well with a Cambidge Dacmagic or 840C?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back