Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jan 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #676 of 2,252
ok just some minutiae here for a sec.  I had my e7 plugged into one of my USB outlets on the back of my computer, one of 4 or 6 that is next to the ethernet and just above the video card etc...

SO I was hearing some static from the magni and it wasn't volume related.  It would not get louder or only happen when I moved the pot.  So I turned my music off and turned the volume all the way up and I started to hear almost a rhythm from my headphones.  It sounded like the spinning of my HD and was almost like a humming.  I moved the USB around to one of my usb ports on the front of the case and the static/hum is gone. Lesson here is that computers are not the best transports and interference is a problem.

and I am still loving the Magni.  Acoustic guitar and older rock is awesome.

edit: static/hum is not gone.  Looks like I have a USB ground loop issue.  Might have to get a new dac for optical.  

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #677 of 2,252
Quote:
Good evening,

I write from Italy and I ordered the Magni today. I have a question. 

These are the specs fo USA Power Supply

AC ADAPTER
CLASS 2 POWER SUPPLY
INPUT 120V AC 60HZ
OUTPUT 16V AC 500ma 8.0 W

I'm trying to find the correct Power supply for Italy. I found 3 models. Can you suggest me which one is the most correct? thank you very much

1) http://www.ebay.it/itm/Netzteil-fur-Thorens-16V-AC-500mA-fur-TD-146-147-166-280-316-318-320-2001-/150787641679?pt=Plattenspieler&hash=item231ba4d14f#ht_3079wt_1397
(I think this is the perfect one because it has the same specs of the US one, except obviously for the input)

2) http://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_netzteil_fuer_hp4.htm
(This one has the double specs: 1000ma 16W: do you think are there problems or improvements if I use this one)?

3) http://it.rs-online.com/web/p/alimentatori-plug-in/2813690/
(This one has output 15V AC 500ma, so it's a bit under... problems?)

Thank you very much, I think it's very important to make the right choice, because I don't want to damage the amplifier.

I hope you can help me,

Regards

Number 1 I think is best.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #680 of 2,252
is usps always that bad? I may go for fed-ex next time even though its much more expensive, I had terrible service from them compared to CA national postal service

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #681 of 2,252
Quote:
is usps always that bad? I may go for fed-ex next time even though its much more expensive, I had terrible service from them compared to CA national postal service

USPS is pretty terrible. They aren't about getting the package to you as fast as they can, they are about getting it to you the cheapest way they can.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #682 of 2,252
you think shipping within the US is terrible. I ordered my Magni and Modi on the 17th of Dec. and it is still not here. Tracking finally has it at my local post office but i will still have to wait till monday for it. But i guess thats what i get for ordering around the Holidays. Heres hoping i can pick it up on monday without any delays. Hopefully my USB cord will be in also on monday! If not then i guess it is my printer USB till it gets here haha!

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #683 of 2,252
USPS is pretty terrible. They aren't about getting the package to you as fast as they can, they are about getting it to you the cheapest way they can.

Priority and First Class Parcel. Never a problem. UPS is typically worse than the USPS.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #685 of 2,252
You can run a 3.5mm to rca cable from your headphone out on computer to the magni. Otherwise need a dac.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #686 of 2,252
Quote:
I am a newbie to the audiophile world.

Will the Magni work without an external DAC?  

Are there any USB to RCA cables available if I just want to use the amp?

Thanks in advance.

USB is a digital signal, RCA is analog.  To make this conversion you will need a digital to analog converter (DAC).  Otherwise you will have to do it as mentioned above (3.5mm to RCA).  This will not give you the best sound quality, but it will work until you save up for a DAC, or you may find it suits your needs as is.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #687 of 2,252
Priority and First Class Parcel. Never a problem. UPS is typically worse than the USPS.

Never, ever had a problem with UPS. My problems are always with USPS.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #688 of 2,252
Never, ever had a problem with UPS. My problems are always with USPS.

Exactly the opposite for me. UPS has crushed my packages, not delivered my packages, left my packages at the wrong address, and lost my packages numerous times. I've never had a single one of those problems with the USPS when using Priority Mail or First Class.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #689 of 2,252
Quote:
You can run a 3.5mm to rca cable from your headphone out on computer to the magni. Otherwise need a dac.

Quote:
USB is a digital signal, RCA is analog.  To make this conversion you will need a digital to analog converter (DAC).  Otherwise you will have to do it as mentioned above (3.5mm to RCA).  This will not give you the best sound quality, but it will work until you save up for a DAC, or you may find it suits your needs as is.

Thank you to both of you! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back