Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jan 2, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #631 of 2,252
As much as I'd also like to see those graphs, I realize that the difference in frequency response measurement(bandwidth) on a headphone amp versus a headset(a can of normal dynamic type) is great.

for instance, slight damping errors in the diaphragm cause 'back-EMF' on some headphones which the best test equipment will easily reveal. But ,
On the other hand the typical amplifier classA or AB type would measure pretty linear throughout the audible range in terms of freq. rspce.Doesn't matter if it's opamp-based, discrete, single-ended, lateral mosfet  or whatever.
IMO,  of course some tube-based units may exceed or fail-to-meet this criteria, depending on their quality.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #632 of 2,252
Quote:
Who would want to buy these for a $1.5k headphone (namely the HD800's), completely stupid not to mention the Magni's sound like they have a more brighter sound sig. Even for those looking for a cheaper alternative. 
rolleyes.gif

People who buy into marketing jargon?
Straight from Schiit's Magni product description:
Delivering 1.2W of power into 32 ohms, Magni is ready for virtually any headphone—including many hard-to-drive orthodynamic models.

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #633 of 2,252
Quote:

I hope someone can measure this. I've never once seen any measurements of the Schiit equipment and probably never will.

I don't really want to say it sounds like it has slightly elevated treble, but it sure sounds like it with my DJ100 and Q701.
In nearly 3 years my DJ100 hasn't quite sounded this trebly, but it's not bad and quite good. It's mostly in specific treble happy recordings.

Maybe the O2 sounds exactly the same..

If you want me to measure it, I'll try to get to it before next Monday. I have an O2 on hand too. Would be interesting, but I bet the O2 will measure better in distortion (nothing beats op-amps when they are operating within power specs). I don't have lab level equipment, but gross results should yield some indication as my jitter tests of the O2 were good enough to confirm V's findings on his site.

BTW, Anax just completed a blind test with the O2 today. You know where to look.

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #634 of 2,252
Quote:

Quote:
Delivering 1.2W of power into 32 ohms, Magni is ready for virtually any headphone—including many hard-to-drive orthodynamic models.

Yeah, Jason is certainly the marketing maestro. FWIW, had no absolutely no issues with the HE-5, which is just one notch below the HE-6 in terms of "hard-to-drive".

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #636 of 2,252
Quote:

It's not about buying the most powerful rated on spec sheet amplifier out there, I've heard setups where headphone A sounds extremely good with a $500 amplifier but when paired with a more expensive $1000 solution it sounds crap. Most people think it's bs but if your buying the HD800's you need to be prepared to read a lot and understand the fact the can itself is as picky as your girlfriend choosing a Luis Vulton bag in the shopping mall. If people go out there without any knowledge or research, drop $1k + on headphones and only use it out of there computer sound cards and sub-par performing $100 amp's then they are a complete fool and wasting their own money. 

Sure I can go on ebay and buy the most powerful rated 8000watt DJ amplifier and try powering my Paradigm monitors but I'm sure that a cheaper well synergising/pairing amp that complements the monitors more will sound schiit loads better. More power /= better.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #638 of 2,252
How did you guys get the plastic feet on in the proper spots? Just try to get one in each corner by eyeballing it?

Are they even necessary or can I just place the Magni flat on top of the Modi without any worry?

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #640 of 2,252
Quote:
How did you guys get the plastic feet on in the proper spots? Just try to get one in each corner by eyeballing it?

Are they even necessary or can I just place the Magni flat on top of the Modi without any worry?

I wouldn't could slide. Also, it could scratch, thus, the resale price of your Magni would go down.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #641 of 2,252
I agree with Tdock in feeling that the Magni may be just a hint emphasized in the treble. If anything, the Magni favors being analytical than musical. I'd say its best to match it with warm headphones.

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #642 of 2,252
Quote:

Ruler, T-square, and a pencil.

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #644 of 2,252
Quote:

I'd put feet on. When my Schitt arrived I put the small round stock feet on by sight. A few days later I went to the shack and got some bigger square feet which I also put on by sight, but they are in different spots at the front relative to rear so as not to cover the bottom chasis screws. The amp runs a little hotter than I expected for a "class AB" amp. That's fine with me so long as it isnt toaster hot. The amp sounds good to me. It so happened that my longtime creek OBH11 died on me (or I killed it) and I came to find the Magi (I also have a CI audio amp). While I am happy with the sound and the construction, my one gripe is ergonomics- if you ask me they put the volume knob too close to the jack, but I expect that was a choice between ergnomics and assembly line ease and they went with the latter. Like they said this may be "all the amp I'll ever need". Strictly from memory the schitt seems more "explosive", and the Creek more "relaxed". Have'nt really direct compared to Dusty's CI audio amp yet but neither seems "euphonic". I'm thinking the schitt is going to go good with the denon adh5000 which seem to like more juice.

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #645 of 2,252
My stack came, still no RCA cables yet though. Damnit usps, speed up!
All in all, it looks pretty sweet. Just wished it came with RCA cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back