Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 31, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #586 of 2,252
Quote:
@tdockweiler -- Thanks for your impressions. I look forward to an update after you've had a chance to listen for a few weeks.
My secret hope had been to find that the Magni and Modi performed so closely to the Mjolnir and Gungnir, that I could sell off the more expensive equipment, and reclaim some real estate on my desk. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. My own experience is that amps and DACs can have a very strong effect on how headphones sound. The differences go way beyond a simple change in the EQ profile, but certainly include that too.

Well, aside from how expensive they are, Mjolnir and Gungnir are probably the best looking DAC/Amp combo being made right now.

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #587 of 2,252
You've got to try some different DAC's.  The AudioQuest DragonFly has been getting rave reviews so just for giggles, I ran it into my Lyr (with a decent AudioQuest cable).  No thanks.  The first thing I noticed was congestion in complicated music passages where the Bifrost (via USB) clearly delineated the different instruments. I'll probably find it acceptable with the Magni for casual listening. I just may end up getting the Modi for another Schiit stack but will try out the Magni/DragonFly combo first. So, yes, there are differences between 'quality' DAC's.
Quote:
It's one thing if one is better than the other, but the difference is definitely there. I am pretty skeptical between different quality DACs, but a difference between amps is not "just marketing." If you can't hear the difference, there's no point in buy any amp, cause they all sound the same to you.

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #588 of 2,252
I just walked by the front door and saw this little white box. So I asked the wife when did this arrive and why ditn't you tell me? "Oh, I forgot about it.". DOH! Don't you know it's awesome Schiit!!  Just about to unbox it, hook it up to the DF and let it run for a couple of hours.  Impressions coming tomorrow..

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #589 of 2,252
1) volumes are not matched properly -> even a difference of few decibels can largely attribute to the legitimate differences people hear. Volume matching is tricky business. The human ear is naturally not as sensitive to volume changes than say, changes in object weight. 

I never considered the differences of volume in terms of audio equipment reviews, but it's so incredibly obvious to me now.

This simple fact could be causing more of a difference in perception than anything else.

Loudness curves vary DRASTICALLY depending on the decibel rating of sound, especially on the extreme ends of the audio spectrum. Holy crap, why hadn't I ever considered that before?

This has grand implications.

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #590 of 2,252
Quote:
1) volumes are not matched properly -> even a difference of few decibels can largely attribute to the legitimate differences people hear. Volume matching is tricky business. The human ear is naturally not as sensitive to volume changes than say, changes in object weight. 

I never considered the differences of volume in terms of audio equipment reviews, but it's so incredibly obvious to me now.

This simple fact could be causing more of a difference in perception than anything else.

Loudness curves vary DRASTICALLY depending on the decibel rating of sound, especially on the extreme ends of the audio spectrum. Holy crap, why hadn't I ever considered that before?

This has grand implications.

I would try to volume match...but I have NO idea how to do so. :frowning2:
I end up "eyeballing" a certain part of a song to be the same loudness to me on gear X and then with gear Y.

Back on topic, this is the second post I've heard the Magni doesn't sound very good with an AKG _70_. :/

Dec 31, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #591 of 2,252
Suppose someone made a piece of gear that evaluated the power of the current being outputted from the jack? That would be an excellent way to volume match if you played pink noise through your rig.

You wouldn't be measuring volume, but you'd be measuring the amount of current going out of the system, which basically determines volume.

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #592 of 2,252
This really doesn't surprise me at all.  It's all about synergy and I'm starting to get the impression that the Magni/(Modi) may well be better suited to darkish headphones.  Initial impression with the HD700 is that the Magni is on the brighter side of neutral (and not a good match with the HD700) but it's a little early for me to tell. I can see why people would like it with the HD650 and HE400.  It may be that it will pair nicely with my v-moda M100s when they eventually arrive.  Will let the combo run over night and give it a listen tomorrow.
In the mean time, Happy New Year all!!
Quote:

Back on topic, this is the second post I've heard the Magni doesn't sound very good with an AKG _70_. :/

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #593 of 2,252
                                                               HAPPY NEW YEAR
   My Magni arrived today !!! I ordered it on the18th....(I live in Canada)  Going to hook it up tomorrow and let it run in for two 12 hour stretches over two days and have my first listen on the 3rd.
My mix of phones should prove interesting. Not expecting to hear any huge difference between the Asgard and the Magni, certainly not like there is between the Asgard and the Valhalla.
What GREAT FUN I have with this silly hobby.  CHEERS ALL.

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #594 of 2,252
                                                               HAPPY NEW YEAR
   My Magni arrived today !!! I ordered it on the18th....(I live in Canada)  Going to hook it up tomorrow and let it run in for two 12 hour stretches over two days and have my first listen on the 3rd.
My mix of phones should prove interesting. Not expecting to hear any huge difference between the Asgard and the Magni, certainly not like there is between the Asgard and the Valhalla.
What GREAT FUN I have with this silly hobby.  CHEERS ALL.

Tell us how the magni and valhalla compare. And tell us what phones you are using. I cant see sigs on the mobile version of this site.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #595 of 2,252
Quote:
This really doesn't surprise me at all.  It's all about synergy and I'm starting to get the impression that the Magni/(Modi) may well be better suited to darkish headphones.  Initial impression with the HD700 is that the Magni is on the brighter side of neutral (and not a good match with the HD700) but it's a little early for me to tell. I can see why people would like it with the HD650 and HE400.  It may be that it will pair nicely with my v-moda M100s when they eventually arrive.  Will let the combo run over night and give it a listen tomorrow.
In the mean time, Happy New Year all!!

Sounds like these won't be a good match for the hd800's, for those looking for cheaper alternatives.

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #596 of 2,252
Well, I was listening to the HD-650 with the Magni for about 3 hours today. Left the thing running all day even without listening to it. It only gets warm and not hot like the Asgard. Just slightly warm. I switched back to the Q701 after maybe 8 hours of use and it seems to have smoothed itself out. Now the Q701 sounds relatively normal. It's really odd how it sounded so thin right out of the box. I mean the treble was so harsh and it made the Q701 sound so much like my AD700. Pretty strange. I won't say anything about this amp burn-in nonsense and I hope people will just ignore this and discuss the Magni itself. Just give it a good day before judging it too harshly. Someone mentioned their Q701 sounding weird and you all blamed it on the headphone!
biggrin.gif

The Magni clearly has a larger soundstage than my Headroom Micro, Fiio E9 and all my other amps. The Magni doesn't sound even remotely warm to me (plus for me!). It seems pretty flat up until the treble. I'm not 100% sure if it's perfectly ruler flat in the treble, but it does seem a bit more trebly than my E9 and Headroom Micro. The difference isn't huge. I wonder how someone got the idea that the Magni had a small soundstage. Not with the ODAC. There is always a chance that my brain is just being fooled due to sounding less full than with my Micro Amp. It's easy for this to happen. This is perhaps why the Q701 sounds like it has a smaller soundstage than the K702. The Q701 probably sounds a tad thinner with the Magni than my Micro Amp. I don't feel like comparing them and it's minor.

If you get the Magni, you should check the low bass. It doesn't seem as extended as my Micro Amp or even portable sources. I guess it is like listed at 20hz+ or something. Maybe some slightly roll off down low, but it's $99! Try the Magni with the Clip+ and without. I'll check this, but I could care less. Everything is still there and it doesn't go missing. Just a little less noticeable. I only noticed this with my DJ100 since it has better low bass than my HD-650.

BTW I can't say it enough, but to my ears the Magni is a bit better than the E9 so far. Sounds much clearer and far more detailed. Larger soundstage too. The mids on the E9 seem a little more forward too, but based on memory. The mids of the Magni seem dead neutral to my ears. I can't wait until some weirdo call this thing "dry"..ugh..

I'm off to play Dark Souls with my new Magni!

As if you couldn't tell, I do love this little amp. Definitely worth the $99. I would say it's better than expected.

Oh yeah! I can't believe how clear sounding this thing is. Not sure how they pulled that off..I can't only hope the O2 sounds this clear.

EDIT: It seems i'm having more of a problem picking out the placement of instruments than before with my other amp. Impossible right? Never had this problem with the Q701. One example is "Aiya" from the Yoshida Brothers. Sometimes with vocals too. Often they're placed further back in the recording and with my other amp it's like you could pick out the distance in exact inches. Yeah..even on the Q701. The idea that the Q701 had poor imaging was always a joke to me. Maybe it's all due to an impression of a larger soundstage. I don't know how the brain works when this happens. The K601 does have better imaging than the Q701 though, but the pads play a roll. Really. Going to test all this some more. BTW I did notice much better imaging when I got my ODAC. Never knew how much a DAC would even help in that area.

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #600 of 2,252
Would not recommend it with the HD800. The HD800 needs a clean source and a great amp.  Been running the Magni now for about 14 hours straight into the HD700.  Although it's smoothed out a little, it's definitely on brighter side of neutral.  For sources, I tried the Dragonfly, AudioEngine D1 and the Bifrost both with optical and USB.  The Bifrost via USB seems to be the best match so far.  Of course, YMMV with source and headphones.
Just to confirm what everyone else is saying - I'm getting channel imbalance at very low volume but it's pretty much dead silent at zero.  It does have gobs of power as I can't turn it up much past 9 or 10 o'clock. It does not have the dynamics or grunt of the Lyr but that's expected at 1/4 of the cost. For the money, and with the right headphones, the Magni is an amazing little amp!
Quote:

Sounds like these won't be a good match for the hd800's, for those looking for cheaper alternatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back