Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 29, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #556 of 2,252
So i got my he-400's a few days ago, sound great. Also ordered the M&M stack, how will the affect the sound anyways? I'm talking about M&M stack vs. No amp/dac

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #557 of 2,252
Quote:
So i got my he-400's a few days ago, sound great. Also ordered the M&M stack, how will the affect the sound anyways? I'm talking about M&M stack vs. No amp/dac

Not to be rude, DarthUnnamed, but I think you have asked this question at least once previously in this thread and/or others.  There have been several impressions of the M&M with the 400's posted if you search for them. You can read all the impressions you want, but in the end the only real way to know the difference will be to plug in your he-400's and give them a good listen when your M&M get there.  Be patient and enjoy!

beerchug.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #558 of 2,252
Quote:
Not to be rude, DarthUnnamed, but I think you have asked this question at least once previously in this thread and/or others.  There have been several impressions of the M&M with the 400's posted if you search for them. You can read all the impressions you want, but in the end the only real way to know the difference will be to plug in your he-400's and give them a good listen when your M&M get there.  Be patient and enjoy!

beerchug.gif

I know, i'm asking for a comparison actually, not just impressions

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #559 of 2,252
Does anyone know the input sensitivity / max. input voltage?

The specs say 130 mW into 600 ohms and gain of 5x, so about 1.8 V on the input. The modi outputs a bit less: 1.5 V.

So is it safe to run this from a hot >2 Vrms source?

Is there any info from schiit if the gain can be lowered? And is the output impedance constant across 20 - 20 kHz?

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #560 of 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So is it safe to run this from a hot >2 Vrms source?

Is there any info from schiit if the gain can be lowered? And is the output impedance constant across 20 - 20 kHz?

There is probably no separate gain and buffer stage like in the O2 (I mean the entire amplifier circuit of a channel has a global feedback loop, with a gain of 5), so the volume control is most likely at the input, and a high input voltage does not cause clipping.

Regarding the output impedance, the output is apparently DC coupled, and I do not see any obvious output inductors either, so there is probably no output impedance variation with frequency for those reasons. There could be increasing output impedance with frequency due to decreasing open loop gain, but I think this is a "low feedback" design with high open loop bandwidth but relatively low gain that only starts to decrease above the audio range.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #561 of 2,252
You think it's a single stage topology? Aww... it would have been too perfect otherwise.

Still wondering if the gain can be changed by switching some resistors and if lowering it would make the amp unstable.

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #562 of 2,252
Does anyone know of a viable alternative 220V 'wall-wart' to power this? 

I thought with enough people owning one now we could at least figure out the power supply type...
If I could find a 3rd party one online I'd still buy the US only version and just switch the adapter once received, unless we can get an ETA on the expectation of a worldwide alternative Magni (and the cost?)

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #563 of 2,252
Quote:
I've been saying that for quite sometime now. People like to associate burn in with almost everything, as if miracle happens.

Yeah I used to have a Maverick tube DAC and amp and neither improved with burn-in.

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #564 of 2,252
Quote:

Yeah I used to have a Maverick tube DAC and amp and neither improved with burn-in.

I still lean closer to the theory that if burn-in made a noticable difference (i.e., if it actually existed) there would be cases of people preferring the sound of a certain piece of equipment before it burned in, rather than the burn in always creating a better sound. You never hear of anyone liking the way something sounded before it was supposedly burned in. So, I don't really believe in burn-in.

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #565 of 2,252
The same with high quality lossy vs. lossless. But that is a different thread altogether

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #566 of 2,252
Quote:
The same with high quality lossy vs. lossless. But that is a different thread altogether

I definitely can A/B the difference there. Not in detail or noticeable artifacts, but in terms of dynamic range and depth. Lossless is more three-dimensional sounding, and most of the time it's easy to spot if you have good enough headphones. I can't A/B it on cheap headphones, though.

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #567 of 2,252
Finished listening to this beast after several hours. It is so much smoother than the e7/e9 combo. It has better clarity, separation and transparency. While I've only tested this with my Q's...I might have to dust off my K172 and maybe see if i can safely plug in my SE215.

I'm listening to the Chesky album from Amber Rubarth in 24/96Hz. (great album btw....the guitar and drums just wash over you...)

I think this set up (Modi + Magni) has enough juice to drive my Q's to their potential. They sound much clearer, the sound is more natural.

So far that all I got. I'm hoping to upgrade to some new phones soon because I want a more balanced phone.

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #568 of 2,252
Quote:
I don't buy into the asgard and bifrost 'murdering' the magni/modi.  In the world of amps and dacs, nothing murders anything.  These aren't headphones.  Jason's using a little bit of hyperbole to help you along your choice to spend more money.  Notice how he didn't put 'asgard murders magni' in the magni description page?  Because if he did it'd be bad marketing.

Exactly... all marketing. I doubt there are actually any audible differences between them. At the most, one may be more "noisy" than the other with very sensitive IEMs. 

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #569 of 2,252
Quote:
Quote:
I don't buy into the asgard and bifrost 'murdering' the magni/modi.  In the world of amps and dacs, nothing murders anything.  These aren't headphones.  Jason's using a little bit of hyperbole to help you along your choice to spend more money.  Notice how he didn't put 'asgard murders magni' in the magni description page?  Because if he did it'd be bad marketing.

I doubt there are actually any audible differences between them.

rolleyes.gif
  Sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back