Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Dec 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #226 of 2,252
Just ordered the Magni + Modi stack. This is my first venture into the schiit world, hoping they do well powering my HD650's. Current set up is my JDS labs C421 direct from my Retina MBP. So adding a DAC should yield good results. The shipping up to Canada is gonna make for a killer wait. Don't expect to see anything till after christmas but i can always dream :) 

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #227 of 2,252
The earlier Schiit amp's killed various users headphones. It's a problem that Jason fixed later on.

Do tell. I've had the Valhalla (since sold) and the Asgard, which I've been using for several years now. Zero issues. The current Schiit lineup is pretty much tried and true and there's no reason to believe that the Magni will be any different. Their products are well regarded here. I'd say that Schiit is no longer an issue.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #228 of 2,252
Quote:
Haha thanks I've done quite a bit of research and came up concluding that q701s fit me better than the m100s...this amp comes in because I'm not sure if the e11 is enough to power it ...
Portability isn't too big of a deal so whatever lol

Alright man! Hope you enjoy your lineup. Nice picture btw ;D few more months until the next one. 

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #229 of 2,252
Rockin' the Modi+Magni with LCD-2's and HD650's now. Positive first impressions--no shortage of power here, brightens up the HD650 more than I expected. Not resolving at the level of the Mjolnir+Gungnir--ahh schiit. :wink:. For $200--looks like a winner. Some critical listening and comparisons to come.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #230 of 2,252
Quote:
Rockin' the Modi+Magni with LCD-2's and HD650's now. Positive first impressions--no shortage of power here, brightens up the HD650 more than I expected. Not resolving at the level of the Mjolnir+Gungnir--ahh schiit.
wink.gif
. For $200--looks like a winner. Some critical listening and comparisons to come.

Sexilicious. That looks like an omega headphone stand from iforgotwhatthecompanyiscalled. Last time I checked somewhere it was ~56 + T_T

Edit: was talking about the over all setup :p but the stand piqued my interest. DAC/amp combo looks too sexy to resist. Oh, do the interconnects come w/ the combo, or are they bought separately (schiit's cables were red, yours look black)?

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #232 of 2,252
Do tell. I've had the Valhalla (since sold) and the Asgard, which I've been using for several years now. Zero issues. The current Schiit lineup is pretty much tried and true and there's no reason to believe that the Magni will be any different. Their products are well regarded here. I'd say that Schiit is no longer an issue.

DefQon is overstating the issue a bit (tho i am sure those few who were effected would disagree). When the Lyr 1st began shipping, there was no power-on delay relay built in. Some very sensitive headphones were damaged when they were left plugged in during power up. In response, Schiit added a power-on relay to eliminate any possible surge damage from the amp. I have one of the very early Lyr's...pre relay. I've never had a problem, but I primarily use it with LCD-2's. if I use it with Grados, I simply make sure to remove the headphones when I power it up.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #233 of 2,252
DefQon is overstating the issue a bit (tho i am sure those few who were effected would disagree). When the Lyr 1st began shipping, there was no power-on delay relay built in. Some very sensitive headphones were damaged when they were left plugged in during power up. In response, Schiit added a power-on relay to eliminate any possible surge damage from the amp. I have one of the very early Lyr's...pre relay. I've never had a problem, but I primarily use it with LCD-2's. if I use it with Grados, I simply make sure to remove the headphones when I power it up.

So the problem was isolated to the early production Lyr?

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #235 of 2,252
Jason says they recommend "50-100 hours" of burn-in time for the Magni.

So, it will be another couple of days before I can give a final review.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #238 of 2,252
Quote:

I'm not overstating nothing, I watched closely to those threads and watched people get banned that chimed in with their opinion's and some Schiit bashing. The problem was the first initial release of the Lyr and one person I know of had it happen to their HD650's on the Asgard. What's even funny is that even after the relay was installed on in-production models thanks to Jason, their was still a few that had their can's killed, unusual it definitely was. For the record, don't say that I'm overstating the issue a bit, if you had an extremely expensive headphone which was killed due to a large DC offcharge the driver's can handle when powering on/off would you had been letting it go past as a small problem? Don't forget there were other's affected that are not part of the Head-fi forum. Not to mention sensitivity has little play into why they were killed by the Lyr or whatever when they work fine with other headphone amp's. 

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #239 of 2,252
Dec 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #240 of 2,252
Quote:
So the problem was isolated to the early production Lyr?

I already explained in our PM to prevent any further complications and showed you the threads and physical evidence of what was happening at the time, yes the problem started / initiated on early production Lyr's (or Asgards ? ). But there were still a few people that had the same problems after the relay's were installed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back