Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Apr 19, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #2,236 of 2,252
  -Would the ringing sound affect my speakers as well?
-Should I just connect my speakers through the line out from my DAC as per usual instead of RCA from the Vali to avoid the ringing?

Kindly advise as I've heard it would be better to output the amp (Vali) through line out as opposed to headphone out. If it makes no difference, I might as well use the headphone out to the Vali and use the line out from my DAC to my speakers to avoid the ringing.

If you're talking about the Vali 1, yes the microphonics will be heard through your speakers if you used the headphone output into them. I would not advise that you do this. It is not a proper setup for the speakers. You want a clean ~2 volt signal to be fed into your amp(s).

If you're talking about the Vali 2 that is on Schiit's website now, it has preamplifier outs that you should indeed use. The Vali 2 does not use the same weird little tube that the original Vali used and so I don't think it should show microphonics in the same way. That said, it never hurts to warm up your tubes before using them with your system, but I don't think they will harm your speakers.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #2,238 of 2,252
I think I have miscalculated quite badly.  Would there be any problems using the Magni 2 Uber in Japan?  I ended up buying it with the US outlet in mind.  From what little research I've done, they appear to share plug standards, and I'll be residing in a part of the country that delivers power at ~100V @ 60hz.  Have I messed up, or should I be fine? 

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #2,239 of 2,252
  I think I have miscalculated quite badly.  Would there be any problems using the Magni 2 Uber in Japan?  I ended up buying it with the US outlet in mind.  From what little research I've done, they appear to share plug standards, and I'll be residing in a part of the country that delivers power at ~100V @ 60hz.  Have I messed up, or should I be fine? 

I have used electronics from North America in Japan and vice versa, without any problems. I believe (and I could be totally wrong here) that the supplied wall wart would just convert the voltage to whatever the Magni needs. If you really want to be safe you can get a voltage converter that plugs into the wall.

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #2,240 of 2,252
Just got a magni on the cheap, it's okay a tad splashy in the treble perhaps ? I can see this would be a great amp for headphones that need more treble though.

Prefer the old fiio E6 sound on my fidelio x1's not tried the hd 650's on it yet but will do.

Happy for the cheapo price i paid at least, p.s no idea why it has an on off switch when the power supply still draws power with the unit switched off ill have to get used to turning the power supply switch off

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #2,241 of 2,252
  Just got a magni on the cheap, it's okay a tad splashy in the treble perhaps ? I can see this would be a great amp for headphones that need more treble though.

Prefer the old fiio E6 sound on my fidelio x1's not tried the hd 650's on it yet but will do.

Happy for the cheapo price i paid at least, p.s no idea why it has an on off switch when the power supply still draws power with the unit switched off ill have to get used to turning the power supply switch off

I've A/B switched it to a number of amps and didn't find the treble to be any different. The FR is flat so how can it possible be splashy?

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #2,242 of 2,252

I have used electronics from North America in Japan and vice versa, without any problems. I believe (and I could be totally wrong here) that the supplied wall wart would just convert the voltage to whatever the Magni needs. If you really want to be safe you can get a voltage converter that plugs into the wall.

For what it seems to be worth.  No issues yet.  Hopefully it'll stay that way. 

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #2,244 of 2,252
  The Harrison Labs 12 dB attenuators arrived today and I plugged 'em right in to the Magni. Before, my comfortable listening volume was about 9 o'clock and it started to hurt just past 10 o'clock. I felt that the travel on the volume pot was poor and it was my only problem with the Magni. With the attenuator pair, I was able to move into about 1 o'clock for comfortable volumes, with the range between 11 and 2 o'clock or so being where I like to, and uncomfortable volumes didn't come until almost 3 o'clock. I got plenty of range out of the Magni and I did not notice any quality loss in the music, consistently plugging and unplugging to try and discern a difference in the middle of a song.

For reference, he's what they look like on the Magni. Used with a highly recommended Blue Jeans LC-1 cable.

Eureka! Those solved the problem for me, especially with high-impedance headphones. With low-impedance headphones I'm still hovering between 8 and 9 o'clock. But without the attenuators, with any cans I was often turning the volume well below 8 o'clock, where I began losing the left channel. The Schiit website explains that channel imbalance is to be expected with amps at this price-point...wish I'd seen that sooner.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #2,245 of 2,252
Update: I eventually added a second set of 12 db attenuators, giving me a total of 24 dB attenuation. This looks really funny sticking out the back of the Magni, but that is all hidden in the 3" space under my laptop/monitor riser shelf.

With only the -12 dB pair I was leaving the low-impedance headphones at 8 o'clock, and sometimes even that was uncomfortable. Now at -24 dB that has become 10 o'clock, and turning the volume down to 8 o'clock brings the sound nice and low without getting into the range where one channel drops out. My high-impedance headphones now have a range from 8 to about 12 o'clock or higher, and my powered desktop speakers connected to the Magni preamp outputs also have more range.

What a powerful little amp! Even at low gain, you can turn the sound up to 11. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #2,246 of 2,252
  Update: I eventually added a second set of 12 db attenuators, giving me a total of 24 dB attenuation. This looks really funny sticking out the back of the Magni, but that is all hidden in the 3" space under my laptop/monitor riser shelf.

With only the -12 dB pair I was leaving the low-impedance headphones at 8 o'clock, and sometimes even that was uncomfortable. Now at -24 dB that has become 10 o'clock, and turning the volume down to 8 o'clock brings the sound nice and low without getting into the range where one channel drops out. My high-impedance headphones now have a range from 8 to about 12 o'clock or higher, and my powered desktop speakers connected to the Magni preamp outputs also have more range.

What a powerful little amp! Even at low gain, you can turn the sound up to 11. 

Was that attenuators at the line inputs or LPADs between the outputs and the headphones?

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #2,248 of 2,252

See the above photo. They are RCA line-level attenuators, plugged into the back of the amp, out of sight and out of mind. 

You might be better off using LPADs between the Amp and Headphones if you don't need the input attenuators to prevent clipping and are only trying to keep the volume down. That way you keep the best possible SNR. If noise is not audible then there is nothing to be wiggly about and your problem is completely solved as is.

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #2,249 of 2,252
I put a Schiit SYS between my Mimby and Magni 2 Uber - it's solely for volume control, not input selection.  My somewhat limited search for quality inline attenuators turned out that they were only $5 cheaper than buying the SYS.

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #2,250 of 2,252

See the above photo. They are RCA line-level attenuators, plugged into the back of the amp, out of sight and out of mind. 

You might be better off using LPADs between the Amp and Headphones if you don't need the input attenuators to prevent clipping and are only trying to keep the volume down. That way you keep the best possible SNR. If noise is not audible then there is nothing to be wiggly about and your problem is completely solved as is.

I put a Schiit SYS between my Mimby and Magni 2 Uber - it's solely for volume control, not input selection.  My somewhat limited search for quality inline attenuators turned out that they were only $5 cheaper than buying the SYS.

L-pads are a good idea too, but I felt that would add clutter and complication in front of the amp. I prefer these tucked away in the back. They provide consistent results, and I don't hear any tonal changes on three pairs of cans or on the powered speakers connected to the preamp line out jacks.  

These attenuators were about $30 per pair with shipping: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006N41B0/ In the end SYS would have been a slightly better deal after I bought a second pair, but I like how these take up less space and don't require more cables. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back