Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
May 28, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #2,221 of 2,252
  Hi and sorry
i scrolled the interesting thread but did not find an clear answer to the following question:

"  is the Magni 2 sound much different/better that the previous Magni ? "

I can buy a Magni 1st generation for cheap ... but if it is clearly inferior i will look for the newer version
I would like to use it with the k701 i own.
Thanks a lot,  gino

I have not heard the 2, but I recall reading reports when it first came out that people found it noticeably better.

Personally, even if they sound the same, I think the 2 is worth it for the gain switch, as the fixed high gain was the biggest problem I had with the original Magni.

May 28, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #2,222 of 2,252
I have not heard the 2, but I recall reading reports when it first came out that people found it noticeably better. 
Personally, even if they sound the same, I think the 2 is worth it for the gain switch, as the fixed high gain was the biggest problem I had with the original Magni.

Hi and thanks a lot for the very helpful advice. I did not know of the high gain. 
I will look for the newer version then.
Thanks a lot again,  gino 

May 31, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #2,223 of 2,252
I think the Magni makes me have to listen to music louder due to the channel imbalance @ below 9 o'clock.  I think with my HD800s they are at 80dB on 9 o'clock.

May 31, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #2,224 of 2,252
  I think the Magni makes me have to listen to music louder due to the channel imbalance @ below 9 o'clock.  I think with my HD800s they are at 80dB on 9 o'clock.

Hi sorry do you have the 1st or the 2nd version ? i have bought a Magni 2 and waiting to get it.  
I wonder if the channel imbalance:
1)  depends on the volume pot
2)  has been cured in the Magni 2
I think that this is indeed a problem. I have the same on a cheap amp and is quite annoying.
Maybe just a better part could cure it ?
Thanks a lot,  gino  

Jun 1, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #2,225 of 2,252
I Have the Magni 2, ..and for my grado 225i  I don't user the amp anymore as its to loud even at a small amount of movement, .I just about can still use the sr 325i but only on low gain, and still not really much movement...My Senn HD580, I can use on this amp but still low gain...
So I would say yes this amp is very loud....shame as I would have liked to use it more...

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #2,226 of 2,252
I Have the Magni 2, ..and for my grado 225i  I don't user the amp anymore as its to loud even at a small amount of movement, .
I just about can still use the sr 325i but only on low gain, and still not really much movement...My Senn HD580, I can use on this amp but still low gain...
So I would say yes this amp is very loud....shame as I would have liked to use it more...

Hi i wonder if there is a way to lower the output using some kind of inline attenuator and the input ?
Maybe there is space also for some DIY solutions ? a network of resistors ?
Personally i should receive one soon. I am curious to listen if the sound is transparent as they say.
In case this unit can have a huge potential.
I had a line preamp with a too high gain but clean sound.  Just a small quality resistor of the same value of the pot (10k) in front of it reduced the gain to half.
and the outcome was very good.
Thanks,  gino

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #2,227 of 2,252
Hi i wonder if there is a way to lower the output using some kind of inline attenuator and the input?

Yes, these can be put on the RCA inputs of the Magni:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=391074869008
(Harrison Labs FMOD -12dB audio attenuator rca in line level reducer)

There are also other models/brands available from different sellers and manufacturers.

I'm thinking of getting something like this myself as I would like a larger volume range (currently I'm listening at 8-9 o'clock on the pot)

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #2,228 of 2,252

Yes, these can be put on the RCA inputs of the Magni:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=391074869008
(Harrison Labs FMOD -12dB audio attenuator rca in line level reducer)
There are also other models/brands available from different sellers and manufacturers.
I'm thinking of getting something like this myself as I would like a larger volume range (currently I'm listening at 8-9 o'clock on the pot)

Hi and thanks a lot for the very helpful advice.  As i said i am waiting to receive a Magni 2 so that i can listen to it. 
This could be also beneficial for the channel unbalance issue ? i have now a little but nice SMSL headphone dac that has indeed a channel unbalance.
I feel it especially on the lowest setting ... raising the volume the unbalance becomes less evident.
Thanks again,  gino

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #2,229 of 2,252
  Hi and thanks a lot for the very helpful advice.  As i said i am waiting to receive a Magni 2 so that i can listen to it. 
This could be also beneficial for the channel unbalance issue ? i have now a little but nice SMSL headphone dac that has indeed a channel unbalance.
I feel it especially on the lowest setting ... raising the volume the unbalance becomes less evident.
Thanks again,  gino

Yes, attenuators would help channel imbalance issues, as they will allow you to set the volume pot higher where the imbalance issues are smaller or gone.

On my Magni2U (low gain), with my headphones and ears in my listening environment (open office at work) I cannot detect any channel imbalance at all at any audible setting on the pot (about 7:30 and up). No attenuators.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #2,230 of 2,252
Yes, attenuators would help channel imbalance issues, as they will allow you to set the volume pot higher where the imbalance issues are smaller or gone.
On my Magni2U (low gain), with my headphones and ears in my listening environment (open office at work) I cannot detect any channel imbalance at all at any audible setting on the pot (about 7:30 and up). No attenuators.

Hi thanks for the very helpful information.
I have noticed that for the Uber version they indeed use a different, and likely better, pot.
As the pcbs look identical there is a possibility for replacement.
In general channels unbalanced is not a good sign of quality.
So i guess that the two pots are compatible for size ?
I will look into the unit.   Maybe some simple mods will make the issue even less important.
I will have some DIM idea ... because from the reviews i read i feel that the amp circuit is extremely clean and transparent ... a great design indeed with an undeveloped potential.
And for instance an stepped attenuator IMHE is usually is another bisg step in sound ... huge actually. Amazing sometimes.
And the Magni 2 could deserve it completely.
Thank again,  gino

Jun 2, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #2,231 of 2,252
These items on uk ebay, seem only available from the usa, and with postage are around £30.......not good......Anyone found any in the uk at better price, as I want to give my magni  a go with these rca in line level reducers.....see how the loudness is, and sound, etc......thanks in advance..

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #2,234 of 2,252
Btw for attenuation I use a Schiit SYS to lower the volume and switch between two sources, I wonder if the internals of the Magni are even meant to work with 2Vrms sources. I sold my Modi which is a 1.5Vrms source IIRC and replaced with a Dragonfly 1.2 (I needed something portable at the time)

Looking through posts carefully I found Jason's reply to someones comment about input sources with hotter outputs than the Modi:

Hey all,

To clarify some things:

1. It's standard procedure in any amplifier design to choose a gain that will drive the output stage into clipping with the volume all the way up. We've been doing this since the 1980s--this is how you always do it. Why else would a "standard" preamp have 10-20dB of gain and a "standard" speaker amp have 26-32 dB of gain? To ensure you can drive the amplifier output stage far beyond clipping with a standard source. That's why you can drive Magni past clipping with a standard source.

2. You don't have to worry about overloading the Magni's input with any source--2V, 2.5V, hell, 5V, or even 7V, like some crazy DACs put out--the volume pot is before the gain stage, so any input is attenuated before it reaches a stage that can be overloaded. Same with Asgard. Same with every amp we design.

All the best,
Jason

This answered quite a few nagging questions, I was always wondering if the pot was before or after the gain stage.

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #2,235 of 2,252
Hi all, need some help from any audiophile guru.

I'm currently using the FIIO E10K with Beyer DT990s.

The line out goes to my speakers and headhphone out to my DT990s.

I'm planning to get the Schiit Magni/Vali and more interested in the Vali due to the fact that it is a hybrid tube amp and might provide a more warmer sound.

If I do get the Vali, I plan to connect it through the line out of my FIIO E10K via 3.5mm to RCA cable. My only concern is the ringing sound that occurs with tube amps when you turn them on for the first few minutes. 

-Would the ringing sound affect my speakers as well?
-Should I just connect my speakers through the line out from my DAC as per usual instead of RCA from the Vali to avoid the ringing?

Kindly advise as I've heard it would be better to output the amp (Vali) through line out as opposed to headphone out. If it makes no difference, I might as well use the headphone out to the Vali and use the line out from my DAC to my speakers to avoid the ringing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back