Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Feb 13, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #2,011 of 2,252
  fixed thanks

Was it that you had to identify which audio device was to be in use in Windows, and choose which was the default device? I had a similar situation when having a sound card installed in addition to the Modi.

I found a program that was useful when wanting to switch devices without going through multiple steps within Windows. It can be placed in your startup folder, or set up a shortcut on your desktop.

audioswitch.googlecode.com

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #2,012 of 2,252
  Was it that you had to identify which audio device was to be in use in Windows, and choose which was the default device? I had a similar situation when having a sound card installed in addition to the Modi.

I found a program that was useful when wanting to switch devices without going through multiple steps within Windows. It can be placed in your startup folder, or set up a shortcut on your desktop.

audioswitch.googlecode.com

Hi J , Yes you hit the nail on the head, that and a reboot. And thank you for the link .

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #2,013 of 2,252
Is it normal for your magni to make a small, very small, static/pop noise when you touch the knob?

I would like to assume this is simply static electricity from your body going into the magni and producing the sound.

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #2,014 of 2,252
I cannot find the answer to this question anywhere. Does the DT 770 pro 250 pair well with the Magni and Modi? If Somebody is running this combination can somebody let me know please how it sounds?

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #2,015 of 2,252
  I cannot find the answer to this question anywhere. Does the DT 770 pro 250 pair well with the Magni and Modi? If Somebody is running this combination can somebody let me know please how it sounds?

I ran the Magni with DT 770's out of my Titanium HD sound card for over a year and loved it. complimented the DT 770's well.

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #2,016 of 2,252
  I ran the Magni with DT 770's out of my Titanium HD sound card for over a year and loved it. complimented the DT 770's well.

Good to know I was thinking about upgrading to the stack in a month or two right now I am currently using the Fiio E10.

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #2,018 of 2,252
It could very well be static if you air is dry.  I get a very faint static sound occasionally when touching the knob on my Lyr .  Relative humidity 40-45
Only at this time of year.  Petting my dogs and cats before will definitely cause it.  
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #2,019 of 2,252
  The Harrison Labs 12 dB attenuators arrived today and I plugged 'em right in to the Magni. Before, my comfortable listening volume was about 9 o'clock and it started to hurt just past 10 o'clock. I felt that the travel on the volume pot was poor and it was my only problem with the Magni. With the attenuator pair, I was able to move into about 1 o'clock for comfortable volumes, with the range between 11 and 2 o'clock or so being where I like to, and uncomfortable volumes didn't come until almost 3 o'clock. I got plenty of range out of the Magni and I did not notice any quality loss in the music, consistently plugging and unplugging to try and discern a difference in the middle of a song.

For reference, he's what they look like on the Magni. Used with a highly recommended Blue Jeans LC-1 cable.

Hi,

I bought a pair of these 12dB attenuators for my FiiO E09K for the same purpose; to get a more usable potentiometer range. While it did help, it is not enough, I still get channel imbalance at a comfortable listening level (the E09K has a VERY bad pot). I think however, more attenuation is all I need. Would buying a second pair and doubling up on these in the signal have any negative effects?

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #2,022 of 2,252
Problem with magni:
When i insert quarter inch jack of my headphones, when it is inserted halfway through, there is some sound from Magni. I think its some electrical noise..not sure exactly. Its quite loud. Did  i get faulty device?

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #2,023 of 2,252
  Good to know I was thinking about upgrading to the stack in a month or two right now I am currently using the Fiio E10.

+1 on running the Magni out of E10, etc.  It works fine running out of my E10 and I'm still debating what DAC to get.  The 770s sound great out of the Magni as do most of my headphones.

I originally delayed the Modi purchase because I wanted to buy a tube amp to 'smooth out' the DT990's & Superlux 681s a little instead.  That tube amp was a very good purchase for me.  

That said, I haven't felt the pressing need to upgrade the DAC. In fact, delaying the Modi / other DAC purchase has allowed me to pick up a couple really good headphone/iem deals.

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #2,024 of 2,252
+1 on running the Magni out of E10, etc.  It works fine running out of my E10 and I'm still debating what DAC to get.  The 770s sound great out of the Magni as do most of my headphones.

I originally delayed the Modi purchase because I wanted to buy a tube amp to 'smooth out' the DT990's & Superlux 681s a little instead.  That tube amp was a very good purchase for me.  

That said, I haven't felt the pressing need to upgrade the DAC. In fact, delaying the Modi / other DAC purchase has allowed me to pick up a couple really good headphone/iem deals.

Not to say that Fiio E10 or the Schiit Modi are bad amps -- much like yourself, I never felt a pressing need to upgrade from my Modi -- but when I picked up a Lyr + Bifrost and did some A-and-B one variable at a time back-to-back comparitive listening, I was blown away by the extra levels of details and revelations, clarity, transparency, separation of instruments, and super airy sound stage of the Bifrost.

The comparisons that really stood out for me were the following:

1) Modi + Magni versus Bifrost + Magni
2) Modi + Lyr versus Bifrost + Lyr

In both cases, qualities that I mentioned earlier, namely detail, revelation, clarity, transparency, separation of instruments, and sound stage, were all noticeably better with the Bifrost. When matched with the Lyr, in particular, it because painfully obvious how much the DAC mattered -- the Modi was really holding Lyr back, and the Bifrost simply allowed the Lyr to soar in all kinds of acoustic manners.

Again, I've spent a lot of time with my Modi, and it is definitely a great amp. But the higher end the rest of your equipment are, the more important it is for you to complement it with a capable DAC.

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #2,025 of 2,252
  Problem with magni:
When i insert quarter inch jack of my headphones, when it is inserted halfway through, there is some sound from Magni. I think its some electrical noise..not sure exactly. Its quite loud. Did  i get faulty device?

Turn off your Magni before plugging or unplugging your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back