Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Apr 24, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #2,041 of 2,252
  I recently got a used Magni and am enjoying it.  However, there is this issue that I have with the gain.  My input to the Magni is from a NAD amp's Tape Out and it seems the input signal is too "hot" and I have no room to adjust the volume.

Once I turn the knob just past the point where the L/R imbalance disappears, the volume is a bit too loud for my regular listening.  Part of the problem is that my headphones are pretty low impedance (Grado 60s and Sony 7506s).

I am thinking of getting two RCA Y splitters and having the signal from the DAC split one to the Magni and the other to the NAD.  This way I bypass the amp's output.  I am assuming that the output of a DAC will not be as "hot" as from an amp.  Am I correct?  Or this is not going to solve my problem?

I use my Modi/Magni with Grado SR325is headphones all day and I have plenty of travel on the knob. I think your equipment is just too high of voltage for the magni and the attenuators are the answer. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #2,042 of 2,252
  Is it normal for your magni to make a small, very small, static/pop noise when you touch the knob?

I would like to assume this is simply static electricity from your body going into the magni and producing the sound.

I can't touch my stack at all or it will either mute the sound for a second or make a pop.

It could very well be static if you air is dry.  I get a very faint static sound occasionally when touching the knob on my Lyr .  Relative humidity 40-45
Only at this time of year.  Petting my dogs and cats before will definitely cause it.  
biggrin.gif

I live in Las Vegas and work in the middle of the Mojave Desert and I can't touch my Modi or Magni while they are running, except for the volume pot. Same went for the Vali when I had it as well, but that goes without saying. That thing is pretty sensitive overall. I don't have any issues with my Bifrost and Asgard 2, though.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #2,043 of 2,252
I have my magni+modi stack on my desk with my phone several feet away and I get a lot of RF interference whenever there's incoming or outgoing calls/data.
I'm pretty sure the problem lies with the magni since the problem persists when I tested it with several different pairs of headphones and even with the amp on and not connected to a source.
Does anybody else have this problem and is there a way to fix it?

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #2,044 of 2,252
  I have my magni+modi stack on my desk with my phone several feet away and I get a lot of RF interference whenever there's incoming or outgoing calls/data.
I'm pretty sure the problem lies with the magni since the problem persists when I tested it with several different pairs of headphones and even with the amp on and not connected to a source.

Just have to keep your phone far away. Get a long patch cable for your phone. I have to keep mine about 3 feet away from it.

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #2,046 of 2,252
  Will the Magni drive 250ohm Beter DT880 with authority? Anyone share their expereince?

Mine drives a Beyer DT 770 / 250 ohm with enough authority to cause hearing loss.

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #2,047 of 2,252

It's not a problem. It's expected behavior.

You may or may not have seen this FCC statement on electronic equipment:

"FCC Statement:
This device complies with part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation."

Your amplifier and DAC fall under the second condition. Your phone is causing the interference. Your amp and DAC accept that interference. They are not the cause of it. They simply detect it and render it audible under normal operating conditions.

If you want to fix the problem, move the phone elsewhere.

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #2,050 of 2,252
  I can't touch my stack at all or it will either mute the sound for a second or make a pop.

This sounds like a static electricity problem. I have certain shoes that are susceptible to building up static electricity on the carpet, and when I touch the Magni while statically charged, the audio cuts out and back in as the spark jumps from me to the amp. I wonder if I should send Schiit an email about this to find out more details.

Cheers

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #2,053 of 2,252
  It's likely a static issue. There is likely not enough humidity in the house to prevent static.

Oh I know it is. I live in Las Vegas and my office where the Modi/Magni live is in Mountain Pass, California, 4500 feet up, in the middle of the Mojave Desert. Yeah. No humidity at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back