Schiit Magni+ and Magni Heretic :: Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #166 of 207
The verdict is in. I have fallen down the rabbit hole again. The Heretic is definitely staying. I like it better than the Valhalla2 (but to be fair it is probably not full broken in yet either and is still using stock tubes). It is also very close to the Asgard3. The Asgard3 just sounds more full and present. This could change as more hours get on the Heretic.

I am having so much fun I ordered a Modi+ to go with the Heretic last Sunday. Thanks to the PO it is still not here. So yesterday I said what the heck, and I ordered a Loki+ and a Magni+ along with some silver knobs. Now taking bets on when I order the Rekkr!!

Mar 3, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #167 of 207
The verdict is in. I have fallen down the rabbit hole again. The Heretic is definitely staying. I like it better than the Valhalla2 (but to be fair it is probably not full broken in yet either and is still using stock tubes). It is also very close to the Asgard3. The Asgard3 just sounds more full and present. This could change as more hours get on the Heretic.

I am having so much fun I ordered a Modi+ to go with the Heretic last Sunday. Thanks to the PO it is still not here. So yesterday I said what the heck, and I ordered a Loki+ and a Magni+ along with some silver knobs. Now taking bets on when I order the Rekkr!!
Valhalla 2 was a disappointment for me sadly, it barely even changes with different tubes. The newer Schiit amps have definitely been improving and getting better.

Mar 3, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #168 of 207
Valhalla 2 was a disappointment for me sadly, it barely even changes with different tubes. The newer Schiit amps have definitely been improving and getting better.
Yes, Jason has mentioned a follow up to the now ancient Valhalla2. I ordered one when they discounted them to move out. We do not know if it will be the Valhalla3 or + or a totally new name.

Mar 3, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #169 of 207
Yes, Jason has mentioned a follow up to the now ancient Valhalla2. I ordered one when they discounted them to move out. We do not know if it will be the Valhalla3 or + or a totally new name.
That's good to know, I hope it stays well priced, they've been needing to upgrade the Valhalla 2 for a long time.

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #170 of 207
Pretty sure he used the name Valhalla 3 in the Schiit thread. Definitely what I'm waiting for, as I don't see any reason to move off of my Vali 2 / Heretic amp/preamps at the moment. Just loving what the Heretic is doing as I listen to Mozart violin concertos while working right now. Through speakers today, as I have a cold, but that Heretic > Gjallarhorn > Energy RC-10 combo is a nice listen.

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #171 of 207
I have been testing the Heretic more, I am thinking the best combo of my headphones with it is the HD 660S2. The Beyer T1.3 isn't all that great with it, but not surprised, Beyers don't tend to like op-amp amplifiers, tends to make their treble unpleasant whereas it's a non-issue on discrete or tube amps. The Magni+, Lyr 3, and Asgard 3 were nice with the T1.3 for instance, though the T1.3 really shines on the G111 MKII.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #172 of 207
Just received my Magni Heretic last week! At the price of $59 USD, I had to get one.

I really like this thing! I like the small form factor on my desk, and the three gain settings. I like the color scheme, and the red glow emanating from the vent holes. It's got a fairly smooth volume pot, away from the headphone jack (huge improvement over the previous Magnis IMO), and no scratchiness out of the box (let's hope it stays that way). So far, it's a winner! I'm using it as my main amp since it got here. :smile_phones:

I did some small mods to my unit, in order to improve the feel and operation:

1. I replaced the stock volume knob for one with a larger diameter and a knurled texture;
2. I replaced the stock rubber feet with small isolation pads.

The larger knob gives me better control over volume adjustments, while feeling more premium. The isolation pads raise the Magni enough to make the larger knob easier to grab and turn, without my fingers bumping on the desk. Overall, "knob feel" is vastly improved with these small mods. Plus, it looks awesome!

20240305_172411.jpg

20240305_172727.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #173 of 207
One more note on the Heretic. Schiit's new silver finish is very close to the finish on the SYS, which for me is good, because the finish on my Vali 2 (nice brushed aluminum) and Magni 3+ (much smoother silver paint) are not. It makes the stack look nicer. :sunglasses:

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #174 of 207
Hmm, listened to "Non Noblis Domine" from the Henry V Soundtrack last night. I've never had and amp (probably preamp) that doesn't break up in one of the key crescendoes in that choral piece, so I chalked it up to the recording. Lo and behold, the Heretic made it through the entire thing without losing control. Still thinking this is a very nicely designed amp, opamps or no.

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #175 of 207
Well. I have definitely fallen down the Schiit Hole! An innocent email with the Magni clearance sale has really Schiitballed. I ordered the Heretic just for a fun little divergent. I am so impressed with its sound that 2 and a half weeks later we have this!! I ended up convincing myself I need a total Heretic system. In other words everything has to be counter to what I have been using. All my amps have been discrete components. I know op-amps can be very good sounding, so why not spend $59 and see? My DACs have all been multibit. So I ordered a Modi+ Delta Sigma base DAC. Not shown because it has not arrived yet is a pair of Meze 99 Noir to test the closed back worls as all my good cans have been open back. (AKG240 is a semi, and I have not restored them yet to listening conditioning.) Oh, I also ordered a Magni+ for even more mischief. It is going to be a fun weekend!

20240308_160632.jpg

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #176 of 207
Well. I have definitely fallen down the Schiit Hole! An innocent email with the Magni clearance sale has really Schiitballed. I ordered the Heretic just for a fun little divergent. I am so impressed with its sound that 2 and a half weeks later we have this!! I ended up convincing myself I need a total Heretic system. In other words everything has to be counter to what I have been using. All my amps have been discrete components. I know op-amps can be very good sounding, so why not spend $59 and see? My DACs have all been multibit. So I ordered a Modi+ Delta Sigma base DAC. Not shown because it has not arrived yet is a pair of Meze 99 Noir to test the closed back worls as all my good cans have been open back. (AKG240 is a semi, and I have not restored them yet to listening conditioning.) Oh, I also ordered a Magni+ for even more mischief. It is going to be a fun weekend!

20240308_160632.jpg
Well, how’s it sound? Also, how’s the Loki?

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #177 of 207
Well, how’s it sound? Also, how’s the Loki?
The Loki is a very useful tool. It is definitely staying. I ran the Magni+ Most of Sunday. I really wanted the Heretic to fail when I first got it. Then as stated in a previous post I decided to put together a whole Heretic system. While the Heretic comes close to the Asgard3 I think the Magni+ may beat it! I will be listening to this set up most of the week and return to the Asgard/Bifrost later in the week for a comparison.

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #178 of 207
The Loki is a very useful tool. It is definitely staying. I ran the Magni+ Most of Sunday. I really wanted the Heretic to fail when I first got it. Then as stated in a previous post I decided to put together a whole Heretic system. While the Heretic comes close to the Asgard3 I think the Magni+ may beat it! I will be listening to this set up most of the week and return to the Asgard/Bifrost later in the week for a comparison.
It's been a while since I heard the Magni +, I was using the Modi + with it and I had noise issues with the Modi+ (even when using optical) so it did hurt my impressions of it, something about it being powered via usb causes problems, but since getting the Modi Multibit 2 which uses a wall-wart power brick the issues went away. I am planning on grabbing a Magni Unity sometime to see how it compares to the Heretic.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #179 of 207
It's been a while since I heard the Magni +, I was using the Modi + with it and I had noise issues with the Modi+ (even when using optical) so it did hurt my impressions of it, something about it being powered via usb causes problems, but since getting the Modi Multibit 2 which uses a wall-wart power brick the issues went away. I am planning on grabbing a Magni Unity sometime to see how it compares to the Heretic.
I have the Modi+ plugged into the supplied wallwart. I only have the Sony hooked up via coax.

Mar 11, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #180 of 207
I have the Modi+ plugged into the supplied wallwart. I only have the Sony hooked up via coax.
That's what I did with mine, not sure why it had issues with noise and fatigue with it so much. Though I do much prefer multibit and r2r dacs to delta-sigma. I had a modius in the past I didn't really like either, was also powered via usb wallwart.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back