Schiit Magni+ and Magni Heretic :: Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #196 of 207
And now I am not sending in my Magni+. I got bored today and took it apart. Low and behold, a couple of cold solder joints on the volume pot connection. I pulled out my nice little Hakko 936 soldering station and reflowed those joints. Sounds great now!

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #197 of 207
Hmm, maybe I spoke too soon. On a whim, I plugged in the Magni 3+ and it is turning in a fine performance this evening, a lovely pairing with the HD 600s. I don't think I have to choose, but I was ready to give up on the 3+ and now I have it neck and neck with the Heretic for these headphones. Vali 2 is lagging behind at the moment, as I feel the two Magnis offer better resolution, which is what I generally value. I guess we'll see if that changes. I haven't listened to the Vali 2 since the first day with the new headphones, so perhaps they are more broken in and will sound different.

Still, nice problem to have. :wink:

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #198 of 207
Hmm, maybe I spoke too soon. On a whim, I plugged in the Magni 3+ and it is turning in a fine performance this evening, a lovely pairing with the HD 600s. I don't think I have to choose, but I was ready to give up on the 3+ and now I have it neck and neck with the Heretic for these headphones. Vali 2 is lagging behind at the moment, as I feel the two Magnis offer better resolution, which is what I generally value. I guess we'll see if that changes. I haven't listened to the Vali 2 since the first day with the new headphones, so perhaps they are more broken in and will sound different.

Still, nice problem to have. :wink:
Well, Heretic just moved pretty firmly ahead of the Magni 3+. I like the little bit of extra edge and detail I get from the Heretic. Did some A-Bing this evening. Definite preference. MEMV though, so could change tomorrow. Both good amps, as is the Vali 2.

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #200 of 207
The Magni+ makes such a nice nightlight in my office.

20240313_200452.jpg

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #201 of 207
Heretic still ahead of 3+ and Vali 2. It just works better as a preamp… smoother and more articulate. More control of my HD600s, too. Definitely the best $59 I’ve ever spent on audio.

Mar 28, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #202 of 207
Heretic still ahead of 3+ and Vali 2. It just works better as a preamp… smoother and more articulate. More control of my HD600s, too. Definitely the best $59 I’ve ever spent on audio.
The treble on my unit has calmed down from new and it pairs much nicer with my Beyers now. Honestly the Heretic is the best Magni I’ve owned and I owned many of them from the original Magni 1, Magni 3, Heresy, and the Magni +.

Wonder how it compares to the Unity, Piety, and Vali 3.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #203 of 207
The treble on my unit has calmed down from new and it pairs much nicer with my Beyers now. Honestly the Heretic is the best Magni I’ve owned and I owned many of them from the original Magni 1, Magni 3, Heresy, and the Magni +.

Wonder how it compares to the Unity, Piety, and Vali 3.
Yeah, I'm curious about performance versus the Vali 3, though I am much more likely to wait for a Valhalla 3 or get some other Modius-Gjallarhorn sized headphone amp in their lineup than another Magni-Vali-SYS sized piece. Heretic is doing pretty much everything I had hoped it would at the moment. Barring some defect, and that gain switch is a bit dodgy in the middle for me, I don't see any point in changing prior to finding a real upgrade path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back