Schiit Magni+ and Magni Heretic :: Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #181 of 207
That's what I did with mine, not sure why it had issues with noise and fatigue with it so much. Though I do much prefer multibit and r2r dacs to delta-sigma. I had a modius in the past I didn't really like either, was also powered via usb wallwart.
Maybe just power issues. I’m running my Modius straight off of my PC and it is dead silent… haven’t even thought of plugging it into the wall wart.

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #183 of 207
Uhh, Houston (or Corpus Christi) we have problem. I was just listening to some solo acoustic vocal and my Magni+ has a slight channel imbalance. The vocals instead of being at 12 o'clock they are slightly to the right at 12:30 almost 1 o'clock. The left channel also sounds veiled almost muffled. I tested it with multiple headphones and 2 other amps. It is definitely the amp. Time to send the email.

Mar 14, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #184 of 207
Uhh, Houston (or Corpus Christi) we have problem. I was just listening to some solo acoustic vocal and my Magni+ has a slight channel imbalance. The vocals instead of being at 12 o'clock they are slightly to the right at 12:30 almost 1 o'clock. The left channel also sounds veiled almost muffled. I tested it with multiple headphones and 2 other amps. It is definitely the amp. Time to send the email.
Have you fiddled with the gain switch? Mine has failed to switch properly a few times. It’s been easy enough to resolve by switching it again, so I haven’t thought much of it. Always on middle gain.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #185 of 207
Been spending time with multiple headphones with the Heretic. Added a HD 400 Pro to my stable.

As for my headphones that pair well with the Heretic, they are the HD 660S2, HD 660S, HD 600, R70x, and maybe the HD 650 depending on the dac. Basically the HD 6xx line in general or something that sounds similar such as the R70x. What doesn't pair well with the Heretic are the HD 400 Pro, T1.3, and the A990Z. The HD 400 Pro is too lean in the lower mids and upper bass on this amp causing an artificial timbre (it sounds better and much more organic on the G111 MKII). The T1.3 is fine in the bass and mids but it's treble gets sharp on the Heretic. The A990Z is interesting it becomes a bloated mess on the Heretic but it's not near as bloated and much better controlled on the warmer and fuller sounding G111 MKII. The A990Z was fine on the Liquid Spark and also the Magni+ (tried it in the past on it) too which is in the price range of the Heretic.

The Heretic is interesting because it sounds really nice on some headphones but other headphones it doesn't sound good at all on. It's more dramatic on how good or bad things can sound on it than my other amps.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #186 of 207
Been spending time with multiple headphones with the Heretic. Added a HD 400 Pro to my stable.

As for my headphones that pair well with the Heretic, they are the HD 660S2, HD 660S, HD 600, R70x, and maybe the HD 650 depending on the dac. Basically the HD 6xx line in general or something that sounds similar such as the R70x. What doesn't pair well with the Heretic are the HD 400 Pro, T1.3, and the A990Z. The HD 400 Pro is too lean in the lower mids and upper bass on this amp causing an artificial timbre (it sounds better and much more organic on the G111 MKII). The T1.3 is fine in the bass and mids but it's treble gets sharp on the Heretic. The A990Z is interesting it becomes a bloated mess on the Heretic but it's not near as bloated and much better controlled on the warmer and fuller sounding G111 MKII. The A990Z was fine on the Liquid Spark and also the Magni+ (tried it in the past on it) too which is in the price range of the Heretic.

The Heretic is interesting because it sounds really nice on some headphones but other headphones it doesn't sound good at all on. It's more dramatic on how good or bad things can sound on it than my other amps.
Well that's good news, as I am waiting for my brand spanking new HD 600s to get here.

Mar 15, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #188 of 207
Have you fiddled with the gain switch? Mine has failed to switch properly a few times. It’s been easy enough to resolve by switching it again, so I haven’t thought much of it. Always on middle gain.
Yes, I remember reading that. It does not change from flipping the switch or what position it is in. I am sure Schiit will have me send it in. Thankfully I have a few other amps to use while it is gone.

Mar 15, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #189 of 207
Yes, I remember reading that. It does not change from flipping the switch or what position it is in. I am sure Schiit will have me send it in. Thankfully I have a few other amps to use while it is gone.
Well, time to test the customer service. Never having needed a warranty claim, I’d love to hear about your experience.

Mar 15, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #190 of 207
Well, time to test the customer service. Never having needed a warranty claim, I’d love to hear about your experience.
Had my first email from Tom at 9am my time asking me to do all sorts of trouble shooting. Probably protocol, but I had already done everything so I let him know. Then shortly after noon I get a second email from Lindsay asking if I want to exchange or return the Magni+. Definitely exchange. I have already started calling it the Asgard Jr!

Mar 15, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #191 of 207
Hope you enjoy the HD 600, it's a very solid headphone and wonderfully natural sounding.
So they seem, even right out of the box. Also, I enjoy them more at this point with the Heretic than the Vali 2. I think it's the added detail, speed, and control of the Heretic over the Vali that make that the case. It seems to render the sound picture more completely.

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #192 of 207
So they seem, even right out of the box. Also, I enjoy them more at this point with the Heretic than the Vali 2. I think it's the added detail, speed, and control of the Heretic over the Vali that make that the case. It seems to render the sound picture more completely.
Yeah, I think the HD 600 is a headphone is a headphone everyone should own at some point in their audiophile journey. The thing with amp pairing is it's not always straightforward what amps a headphone will like even going with the characteristics of the amp and headphones taken into consideration. But wonder if you will grow to like the HD 600 with the Vali 2 more over time or not.

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #193 of 207
Yeah, I think the HD 600 is a headphone is a headphone everyone should own at some point in their audiophile journey. The thing with amp pairing is it's not always straightforward what amps a headphone will like even going with the characteristics of the amp and headphones taken into consideration. But wonder if you will grow to like the HD 600 with the Vali 2 more over time or not.
To be determined. As of the moment, though, really enjoying the HD 600 with the Heretic. Very clean, balanced, detailed sound.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #194 of 207
I ran across this pic on Facebook this morning. Then I looked at my Heretic. The voices are telling me to do it.

schiitheretic.jpg

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #195 of 207
Decided to put my other amps aside for a bit and going to focus on the Heretic exclusively for a couple weeks. Will see what I think of it after a lot of exclusive time with it. I was thinking about getting the Magni Unity but saw the Vali 3 was just released so that will be my next amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back