Schiit Magni+ and Magni Heretic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #136 of 216
I just ordered a Heretic as well, got the silver one. Should have it sometime next week. Was thinking about the Magni + but had it in the past and I already have better discrete amps such as the Lake People G111 MKII, but I don't have an op-amp amp so thought this would be a nice change as it should have different synergy with different headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #137 of 216
I just ordered a Heretic as well, got the silver one. Should have it sometime next week. Was thinking about the Magni + but had it in the past and I already have better discrete amps such as the Lake People G111 MKII, but I don't have an op-amp amp so thought this would be a nice change as it should have different synergy with different headphones.
Pretty much the reason I grabbed the Heretic too. I dont have an OpAmp based amp. Really like what I have heard so far.

Feb 25, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #138 of 216
Took advantage of the current sale to get a Magni+ Heretic to complement my Magni+!

I like the Heretic a lot, it's very accurate in the lows and highs. The Magni+ sounds a bit different. I described it elsewhere as the Magni+ having somewhat looser lows but an overall high frequency character that is a bit more forgiving, where the Heretic has extremely tight lows but also really "tight" highs too. A bright recording with bright headphones can be fatiguing where the Magni+ would be a bit less so. They're both fine amps, but I think the Heretic is a bit more to my tastes with the headphones I've tried so far. Nonetheless I reckon it's over for the Heretic, discontinued and no more op-amp Schiit... But the new Magni+ Unity seems like it's trying to bridge the gap there somewhat, with measurement specs almost as good as the Heretic but with their preferred design approach.
Finally got my Magni+ in and did some comparisons to my Heretic.

I can confirm exactly what you described. The Magni+ sounds a bit looser and smoother, maybe a touch warmer. For my personal preference, I actually prefer this to the slightly sharp presentation of the Heretic. The difference is extremely small, but its enough to take the edge off with brighter headphones like the Sundara & HD800s.

Loving it so far. For $69 its just ridiculous.

Feb 25, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #139 of 216
Please do post. I am quite curious about your comparison.
This one is tough! The Heretic is a really good sounding amp and holding its own so far. I have only listened to it and the Valahalla2 to day and only used the Sennheiser HD560S. I will be listening more this week with Asgard3 and some of my other cans. All amps are hooked up to the BifrostMB1 that is fed by a Sony BDP-S3700. I also now have a Modi+ on the way.

Feb 25, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #140 of 216
Holy crap, a veil has just disappeared with the Heretic. A quick comparison with the Valhalla2 and the Heretic has better imaging and soundstage. Not much but noticeable. Stay tuned.

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #141 of 216
Picked up both the Magni+ and Heretic for kicks given the sale...using the + with an original Mojo with line-out. Given the prices of Mojo 1's a pretty good system could be put together for less than $300.

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #142 of 216
So after extended listening to the Magni+ and comparisons back to the Heretic that I've already owned for a while, I think I can say that overall the Heretic sounds better.

Initially I liked the slightly warmer and smoother presentation of the Magni+. It does take the edge off with brighter headphones and smooths out sibilants and such, but other than that I just think the Heretic sounds better. It sounds a bit more detailed, a bit more punchy, and being less smoothed out it ends up sounding a tad more detailed.

These differences are really small in reality, but I do hear a slight difference between the two. It feels like the Heretic is more dead neutral, true to recording, where the Magni+ is smoother. I could totally see how people could prefer this. I also understand that I'm used to the Heretic and that can be why I prefer it slightly.

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #143 of 216
Oh, what the heck, at $59 I couldn't say no to getting a Heretic in Black before they're all gone. It will match my Magni+, Modi+ and Loki Mini+ (you know, Schiit stack from late 2022 basically, got into a pile of Schiit on their first Black Friday sale!). My current Heretic is silver, just wanted to see how those look for a change when they did the $79 blowout sale prior to the $59 blowout sale (and if they run $39.99 in a couple months to sell the last ten of them I might buy all of them LMAO)

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #144 of 216
Pretty much the reason I grabbed the Heretic too. I dont have an OpAmp based amp. Really like what I have heard so far.
Yeah, I'm curious which of my headphones will like the amp the most. I think it will likely be the HD 660S2, just a gut feeling but not sure, what pairs the best could surprise me. I am using the Schiit Modi Multibit 2 as the DAC.

Feb 26, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #145 of 216
Yeah, I'm curious which of my headphones will like the amp the most. I think it will likely be the HD 660S2, just a gut feeling but not sure, what pairs the best could surprise me. I am using the Schiit Modi Multibit 2 as the DAC.
660S2 pairs really well with Heretic. Sharpens up the treble.

Feb 26, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #146 of 216
This was not the result of an intentional experiment, just happenstance: I was able to reliably get my Heretic's protection circuitry to trigger at what didn't seem like excessive volumes while gaming, but it was while playing a game with extremely loud (relative to digital 0dB, much louder than the rest of the audio content) gunshot noises with a huge low frequency component, in high gain mode while using my 600ohm Beyer DT-880 Premium. It'd silence for a moment after some automatic fire that had the DT-880 trying to pretend they've got a subwoofer (when really they're anything but bass-heavy cans).
:beyersmile:

I then proceeded to test the same gameplay scenario with all the rest of my headphones and couldn't get any of them to do it, including my higher ohm Sennheisers. I anticipate that I could proceed into extremely uncomfortable listening levels to make it behave similarly with those. I couldn't even get it to do it the same with my DT-990 600ohm at what was perceptibly a similar listening level (which probably just means, my ear is getting its cues from the low frequency content in assessing the overall loudness, kind of makes sense in this scenario). DT-990 has more low frequencies from 40-100hz than the DT-880.

But it can happen, I did find out it can happen with mine too even if with just one set of cans, and not at ear-splitting dB. I have never heard it happen previously and have gamed and listened to a lot of music and mixed with the Heretic. I don't usually game with my DT-880 600ohm or I might have encountered it before, as games do like to employ those rumbly low frequencies at higher relative volumes sometimes and I'm less likely to have my overall volume adjusted quite as low as I would for cinema, given the different dynamic range.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #147 of 216
660S2 pairs really well with Heretic. Sharpens up the treble.
I'm actually hoping it works nicer with the bass, the G111 MKII and Magni+ make the bass fatiguing on the S2 for me. Whereas my Liquid Spark and Project Sunrise 3 work quite well bass wise with it. I'm really happy with the T1.3, R70x, HD 660S, HD 650, and HD 600 on the G111 MKII but not the HD 660S2, I can tell it just needs a different amp. I would use the Sunrise but it's way too prone to tube noise so I don't use it and the Liquid Spark isn't as refined sounding as the Magni's from my experience.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #148 of 216
Q. re the front panel gain switch:

I noticed that toggling the switch slowly say between mid and max gain (at moderate volume) sometimes one of the channels switches but the other has a weak connection requiring a small nudge. If I flip the switch quickly there's no issue.

Comments?

Feb 26, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #149 of 216

I noticed that toggling the switch slowly say between mid and max gain (at moderate volume) sometimes one of the channels switches but the other has a weak connection requiring a small nudge. If I flip the switch quickly there's no issue.

Comments?
This is happening with a bunch of mjolnir 3s, including mine, as well as other Schiit amps. Hearing it all over the place now.

After two buggy yggys, bad finishes, crooked connectors for the digital inputs, and now this switch problem, I’m starting to really doubt my trust in Schiit’s assembly and products lately. Hope they figure it out soon.

Feb 26, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #150 of 216

Comments?
That was the issue that plagued my Magni+. I sent it in and Schiit fixed it and had it back to me quickly. I'm about to be three amps deep in Schiit, and if I have further issues that would at that point weigh on my future purchasing decisions, but I hope not to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back