Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 21, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #19,651 of 23,494
Curious why they said they're not safe subs. 5670 is very close in electrical spec to 6922, and even has almost the same amplification factor (35 compared to 33).

I'd be happy to test the 6n23p for you. No charge, just cover return shipping.

I do recommend doing it, as they're the worst tubes for getting ripped off. In most tube batches, I usually get a bad rate of about 10-15%. Most of the batches I've had of 6n23p end up with a bad rate of 60% plus. The sellers state NOS, but they mean they're in a bulk box, unused, not that they test to NOS values. That's before you get into all of the shady sellers that list tubes as NOS when they're far from it, knowing that the majority of buyers won't have a tester, and will assume that because the tube produces sound, it must be fine.

PM me if you want me to test them. I'm in LA. I can return them, tested within a few days. I'm sure anyone here will attest to my trustworthiness.

Wow, that is very generous. I will mail them to you once they arrive. That is a huge failure rate! The seller provided measurements but you never know.

The amp manufacturer (Blue Circle Audio) did not give any details, they just replied that those tube types were not a safe substitute for my amp. It is an expensive amp so I would be nervous to take any chances.

I have had several other tube amps where substitutes were not necessarily a problem and I have used adapters without issue (Dennis Had Dragon IHA-1, Bottlehead Crack, etc.).

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #19,653 of 23,494
Thought I’d just drop in and say hey fellas.
*******************Hey!!!********************
Been a while since I’ve posted. I read what you guys post daily but just don’t have much to contribute to the thread.
I haven’t even dipped my little toe in the water on these 12Au7, 6201, 12at7, espn, CNN, etc......tubes.
Does anyone at all even slap in a 2c51, 6n3p or E88CC tube anymore? Lol. I guess a better way to put it and the way I feel, I’m still driving a 68 Pinto while you guys are ripping around in a 2019 Ferrari.

Well anyway, hope all you guys are doin well!

Peace!! :v::call_me:
I just posted the other day how much I was liking the 396A from TK so yes, still plenty to love in the Old World.

Turns out the 6201s aren’t noisy after all but instead my tinnitus is back. hopefully it calms down so I can listen to music over the holidays.

Dec 21, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #19,654 of 23,494
Wow, that is very generous. I will mail them to you once they arrive. That is a huge failure rate! The seller provided measurements but you never know.

The amp manufacturer (Blue Circle Audio) did not give any details, they just replied that those tube types were not a safe substitute for my amp. It is an expensive amp so I would be nervous to take any chances.

I have had several other tube amps where substitutes were not necessarily a problem and I have used adapters without issue (Dennis Had Dragon IHA-1, Bottlehead Crack, etc.).
AC is a great guy; I sent him a box of tubes to test and got them back quickly with full results. He can also give you some good tube recommendations based on your listening preferences.

Dec 21, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #19,655 of 23,494
I just posted the other day how much I was liking the 396A from TK so yes, still plenty to love in the Old World.

Turns out the 6201s aren’t noisy after all but instead my tinnitus is back. hopefully it calms down so I can listen to music over the holidays.
Thank goodness it was a health issue and nothing wrong with the tubes! :ksc75smile:

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #19,656 of 23,494
AC is a great guy; I sent him a box of tubes to test and got them back quickly with full results. He can also give you some good tube recommendations based on your listening preferences.

+1. AC's the man. We are all mere boys.

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #19,658 of 23,494
You need adapters for them to work properly.

AuditoryCanvas is top notch bro. In the future. Either him, TK16, and Kolkoo are the go to for purchasing tubes. You won't find better people to deal with.

Dec 22, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #19,660 of 23,494
Was listening to some tunes with my Gumby and MJ2 with 59 6201 PW in. Put on my HE 560 after about a year on the shelf. Sounded a bit bright so I fired up my tube dac with a pair of 51 JW WE 396A. I stink at describing what I hear. Excellent combo though the WE make up about 60% of the tube sound. Shame these 12AT7/ECC81 tubes are too tall for the dac with the adapter.

Dec 23, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #19,662 of 23,494
Nothing a Dremel can't fix :beyersmile:
Don't think it is feasible with my set up.
P_20181223_121548.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #19,663 of 23,494
Don't think it is feasible with my set up.
Very cool pic.
Hey, why not Snap a quick pic of our rigs for all us tube addicts to see. Headphones/tubes included.
I know there’s a thread where you post your Headfi station already but hey, we can do our own thing.

I’d be REALLY curious to see your guys set ups. I’ll post later tonight. Hope I’m not the only one to do so. I personally get into seeing other people’s gear and would really enjoy seeing what you guys got.

Dec 23, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #19,664 of 23,494
Very cool pic.
Hey, why not Snap a quick pic of our rigs for all us tube addicts to see. Headphones/tubes included.
I know there’s a thread where you post your Headfi station already but hey, we can do our own thing.

I’d be REALLY curious to see your guys set ups. I’ll post later tonight. Hope I’m not the only one to do so. I personally get into seeing other people’s gear and would really enjoy seeing what you guys got.
Sounds like an excellent idea bro. Camera busted on my cell, so limited to 8 mp's.

Dec 23, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #19,665 of 23,494
Ok.

WP_20180302_03_13_22_Pro.jpg

SURFACEPRO2 - tubes6.jpg

Here's mine...

:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back