Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 2, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #19,516 of 23,494
Why don't you get AC's 59 Heerlen 12AT7, he is an honest seller here. Those tubes are top notch Heerlen Holland's.

Just don't have my full slew of adapters yet. I am going to get some but I will have to send them to my house since they won't make it to my school before I go on break.

Dec 2, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #19,517 of 23,494
Any experience with the Amperex Holland dimple disc getter 12AT7? Found some ECC85s from a good seller I have bought from in the past. I'd guess they might sound similar since the innards are mostly the same but wired to be a 6922 drop in.
ECC85 won’t work in the Lyr 2, the heater current is over the 415 limit.

Dec 2, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #19,519 of 23,494
$45 for them Heerlens is like your local bank leaving the vault open to help yourself. Lol

No kidding. Haven't seen prices like that on eBay or anywhere else matter of fact. Problem is I'm a college student...two jobs just can't quite keep up with my need for a great variety of these little glass thingies and gas! Sometimes I literally don't even have $10 not to mention $45 :)

As a side note, some Brimar (all were Brimar made) ECC804s are up for DIRT cheap right now on Vacumtubesdotnet's eBay store. I mean like $7 per. They were pointed out as being quite sweet earlier in this thread by gibosi.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ECC804-Int...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Dec 2, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #19,522 of 23,494
No kidding. Haven't seen prices like that on eBay or anywhere else matter of fact. Problem is I'm a college student...two jobs just can't quite keep up with my need for a great variety of these little glass thingies and gas! Sometimes I literally don't even have $10 not to mention $45 :)

As a side note, some Brimar (all were Brimar made) ECC804s are up for DIRT cheap right now on Vacumtubesdotnet's eBay store. I mean like $7 per. They were pointed out as being quite sweet earlier in this thread by gibosi.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ECC804-International-Vacuum-Tube-NOS-NIB-Tested-Strong-LAST-29/172958012834?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Brimar ECC804s are current production tubes, so I wouldn't bother with those. However, the ones you linked to look like rebranded Russian tubes, not Brimar.

https://brimaruk.com/valves/triodes/brimar-ecc804/

Dec 2, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #19,523 of 23,494
Brimar ECC804s are current production tubes, so I wouldn't bother with those. However, the ones you linked to look like rebranded Russian tubes, not Brimar.

https://brimaruk.com/valves/triodes/brimar-ecc804/

Hmm...I wish I could see the getter in that picture. That would definitely say if it was Russian or not. Then again I trust your opinion as someone who has seen a LOT more tubes than I :)

The original post from gibosi was this:

"I was pretty sure these would be good in the Lyr, but it's an especially sweet feeling when a hunch turns out to be true. :)

But to clarify, to the best of my knowledge, every ECC804 was manufactured by Brimar. It was never manufactured by Mullard or any other Philips subsidiary. Further Tungsram didn't make them either. Only Brimar. So it doesn't matter what brand you see on the tube, whether it be Brimar, Mullard, Mazda, Ediswan or what-have-you. They are all from the same factory. However, I have noticed that on some tubes, the shield is gray, and on others, it is silver. While I have not investigated to see if there is a sonic difference, it might be best to be sure the shields are the same.

And your impressions mirror mine, but of course, in a different amp. To help others, I would say that that the sonic signature of the Brimar ECC804 is intermediate between Mullard and Heerlen, not as warm as the Mullard and not as bright and lush as the Heerlen. Very good bass, a bit of warmth and fairly liquid, a very nice tube
. :)"

Not sure what to make of it in the case that these are Russian.

Dec 2, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #19,524 of 23,494
Hmm...I wish I could see the getter in that picture. That would definitely say if it was Russian or not. Then again I trust your opinion as someone who has seen a LOT more tubes than I :)

The original post from gibosi was this:

"I was pretty sure these would be good in the Lyr, but it's an especially sweet feeling when a hunch turns out to be true. :)

But to clarify, to the best of my knowledge, every ECC804 was manufactured by Brimar. It was never manufactured by Mullard or any other Philips subsidiary. Further Tungsram didn't make them either. Only Brimar. So it doesn't matter what brand you see on the tube, whether it be Brimar, Mullard, Mazda, Ediswan or what-have-you. They are all from the same factory. However, I have noticed that on some tubes, the shield is gray, and on others, it is silver. While I have not investigated to see if there is a sonic difference, it might be best to be sure the shields are the same.

And your impressions mirror mine, but of course, in a different amp. To help others, I would say that that the sonic signature of the Brimar ECC804 is intermediate between Mullard and Heerlen, not as warm as the Mullard and not as bright and lush as the Heerlen. Very good bass, a bit of warmth and fairly liquid, a very nice tube
. :)"

Not sure what to make of it in the case that these are Russian.
You can tell by the mica that they're russian. No need to look at the getter. Either way, I can assure you, those aren't Brimar ECC804s.

Dec 2, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #19,525 of 23,494
You can tell by the mica that they're russian. No need to look at the getter. Either way, I can assure you, those aren't Brimar ECC804s.

Indeed. More digging confirms they are indeed 6N23Ps! Probably Voskhod. Unless they are in good shape, I would assume they are relatively new as well. Ew. Thanks for the catch on that.

Anyone want to buy some new incredibly rare International 6N23Ps? :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #19,530 of 23,494

Users who are viewing this thread

Back