Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 3, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #19,531 of 23,494
Dec 3, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #19,533 of 23,494
Those are not Telefunken tubes of any variant. Silver shield and big O getter are the biggest clues.
Telefunken ECC88 will have the diamond between the fins and have a fat small halo getter. Mine had B code for Berlin. I did a mini review on them couple years ago. Dull, lifeless and boring. Think you are much better off buying the ECC81 Telefunken or if you have the cash, ECC801S.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #19,535 of 23,494
Thank you for the save there. Who knows what those are then. What else would be "made in Germany?" that is a 6DJ8?

Correction: I believe they are German-made RCA rebrands.
That manufacturer rebranded tubes from several manufacturers. Not all rebrands state the correct country of origin - some state their country of origin, some state the actual manufacturers country of origin. This one usually stated the manufacturer.

That means they're likely Siemens, or RFT/Funkwerk.

Dec 3, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #19,536 of 23,494
That manufacturer rebranded tubes from several manufacturers. Not all rebrands state the correct country of origin - some state their country of origin, some state the actual manufacturers country of origin. This one usually stated the manufacturer.

That means they're likely Siemens, or RFT/Funkwerk.

Is that a decent price for Siemens/RFT 6DJ8? I keep finding really mixed pricing for people calling them PCC88 and a whole host of mislabeling.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #19,541 of 23,494
My understanding is Siemens should have 4 seams on the top and I’m not seeing any seams.

Pardon me if I’m wrong (always open to that, I’m a noob by comparison) but they look like Tesla’s to me. Now I don’t know how that would work into them being German, but the inverted “T” on the bottom of the shield matches. So does the large platform O getter. Did Tesla make tubes in Germany? Thought they were Czech.

Either way, they are originally Tesla ECC88s as far as I can tell. Their construction matches the steel pin Tesla uncannily. They are not Brimar-the getter support isn't right and the Brimar all had a grey shield. That would make them a pretty good deal on a matched pair of ECC88 Tesla right?

Also on the ECC804-from what I can find they had similar characteristics to the 12A_7 series, but a different pinout and a screen on the 9th pin. They were originally intended for use in audio equipment and featured much lower distortion than the early 12 series tubes (which eventually wound up pretty good after several revisions). I think I will get myself a pair for Christmas and let everyone know what I think! They were mentioned earlier in this thread as being pretty good on all fronts and are quite cheap.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #19,542 of 23,494
Pardon me if I’m wrong (always open to that, I’m a noob by comparison) but they look like Tesla’s to me. Now I don’t know how that would work into them being German, but the inverted “T” on the bottom of the shield matches. So does the large platform O getter. Did Tesla make tubes in Germany? Thought they were Czech.

Either way, they are originally Tesla ECC88s as far as I can tell. Their construction matches the steel pin Tesla uncannily. They are not Brimar-the getter support isn't right and the Brimar all had a grey shield. That would make them a pretty good deal on a matched pair of ECC88 Tesla right?

Also on the ECC804-from what I can find they had similar characteristics to the 12A_7 series, but a different pinout and a screen on the 9th pin. They were originally intended for use in audio equipment and featured much lower distortion than the early 12 series tubes (which eventually wound up pretty good after several revisions). I think I will get myself a pair for Christmas and let everyone know what I think! They were mentioned earlier in this thread as being pretty good on all fronts and are quite cheap.
Seem like Teslas to me too. If you are interested in cheap tubes such as PCC88s my friend I've got a ton of NOS or NIB PCC88s different factories that I could try matching out stuff for ya - like Valvo Hamburg early 60s, Philips Heerlen mid to late 60s, Tungsram late 60s, 70s (they used Siemens equipment), Mullard Blackburn late 60s 70s, some Teslas , some siemens from the 80s, some Serbia Ei factory (used Philips equipment sound like Heerlen), prices would vary from 30$ (Teslas, Ei, 80s Siemens), 40$ (Blackburn, Tungsram), 50$(Hamburg,Heerlen) + 6$ worldwide shipping. Buut I wouldn't ship until next year though as sending postage at Christmas time usually means it gets lost or insanely delayed.

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #19,543 of 23,494
Seem like Teslas to me too. If you are interested in cheap tubes such as PCC88s my friend I've got a ton of NOS or NIB PCC88s different factories that I could try matching out stuff for ya - like Valvo Hamburg early 60s, Philips Heerlen mid to late 60s, Tungsram late 60s, 70s (they used Siemens equipment), Mullard Blackburn late 60s 70s, some Teslas , some siemens from the 80s, some Serbia Ei factory (used Philips equipment sound like Heerlen), prices would vary from 30$ (Teslas, Ei, 80s Siemens), 40$ (Blackburn, Tungsram), 50$(Hamburg,Heerlen) + 6$ worldwide shipping. Buut I wouldn't ship until next year though as sending postage at Christmas time usually means it gets lost or insanely delayed.

I’d be quite interested! As I’m relatively new to Lyr ownership and have picky ears (and very limited funds) I don’t want to throw too much in up front just to realize I don’t like a particular set of tubes on the Lyr. I’m ok with 90%, realizing it might take me $200
to get to “100%”. I’ll shoot you a PM.

Dec 6, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #19,545 of 23,494
$60 6201 59 PW came in, not as strong as my micro 59, but not micro. Got this tube burning in with my replacement Heerlen 56 ECC81 in the other channel. Other 2 tubes are burned in. So am just playing catch up burn in for 100 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back