Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 31, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #18,001 of 23,494
Got my Ericsson gold pin 2C51s from Autostart. Although the package was well nigh crushed by the post office the tubes at least at first blush seem to have come through unscathed. No shorts, getter is fine with no white, and they work in the Lyr. Very similar sound to the Tung Sols on a quick listen with no burn in yet. Nice meaty mids. Super dark background. Treble doesn't seem overly bright so far but lots of detail. Fauré piano quartet #1 sounds luscious. We will see how some time treats them but nothing to complain about yet. Tougher than they look, I guess.

Anyone know how to read an Ericsson date code? These are AA year code, and I've seen references to Ericsson using 2 capital letters for year, but I have had no luck finding a chart for them.

His current eBay listing for the steel pin version says "last set" so if you've been meaning to get one of his sets of Ericsson tubes it's time to pull the trigger. Seller name excelon351.
Sounds like the gold pin are warmer in the mids than the steel pin. I would say the steel pin are quite neutral, leaning towards the bright side.

The date codes have eluded us all so far. They don’t seem to fit any schema I’ve been able to find.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #18,003 of 23,494
Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #18,004 of 23,494
It's too bad so many of these are in lots of 4 or 5. I might have bid on a lot of 2 but 4 or 5 is overkill for me. Since they aren't matched I don't see the point of a lot of 5. I guess one could get a killer deal, keep the best ones and unload the others.

Jun 1, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #18,007 of 23,494
I couldn't find anything related to date codes either, except for references that the gold pin is the earlier version.
The only thing I can find relating to date codes is this:

https://mullard.org/blogs/news/83886851-cv-numbers-and-uk-military-date-and-factory-codes

It suggests at the end that GA is Ericsson, Sweden, and then YYWW as the code - the pair I have seem to have that backwards - AG2365, suggesting week 23 of 65, but the other one I have is AG2951, which would make it week 29 of 51 - 14 years difference in the two of them? I guess it's possible.

Jun 1, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #18,008 of 23,494
The only thing I can find relating to date codes is this:

https://mullard.org/blogs/news/83886851-cv-numbers-and-uk-military-date-and-factory-codes

It suggests at the end that GA is Ericsson, Sweden, and then YYWW as the code - the pair I have seem to have that backwards - AG2365, suggesting week 23 of 65, but the other one I have is AG2951, which would make it week 29 of 51 - 14 years difference in the two of them? I guess it's possible.
I think those 4 numbers might be serial numbers of each specific tube, just a guess though.
My gold pins are AA8149, AA2551.
Steel pins BF5206, BF4790.

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #18,012 of 23,494
According to eBay my Tesla PWs are still sitting somewhere in Prague. What it's been nearly two weeks.
Have you got yours yet? This is ridiculous. Mine have been in Queens for 4 days now with no new info. 3 days past drop dead date for delivery. Not gonna be a good review. These must be coming from Fiji, the furthest point from the United States on some guys fishing trawler.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #18,013 of 23,494
Have you got yours yet? This is ridiculous. Mine have been in Queens for 4 days now with no new info. 3 days past drop dead date for delivery. Not gonna be a good review. These must be coming from Fiji, the furthest point from the United States on some guys fishing trawler.

My last shipment from Russia sat in Queens for a week....and were still showing in Queens when the mailman delivered them. So check your mail today...may be a nice surprise?

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #18,014 of 23,494
My last shipment from Russia sat in Queens for a week....and were still showing in Queens when the mailman delivered them. So check your mail today...may be a nice surprise?
Yeah, that would be a nice surprise. On my 3rd of 5 days off (much needed mini vaca) and REALLY wanted to hear these things as they're such a polarizing tube for all you guys in this thread. Been listening to the LME gold pins hoping they open up a bit more. I think they're where they're gonna stay as there's a good 100 hours on them. I like them but they are one of my brightest tubes I own. They lack some punch but have really good mids with the treble bordering on a bit bright for me. I don't believe I'll ever be using these with the HE560 and Purplehearts but no biggie as I have plenty of warmer sounding headphones.

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #18,015 of 23,494
Yeah, that would be a nice surprise. On my 3rd of 5 days off (much needed mini vaca) and REALLY wanted to hear these things as they're such a polarizing tube for all you guys in this thread. Been listening to the LME gold pins hoping they open up a bit more. I think they're where they're gonna stay as there's a good 100 hours on them. I like them but they are one of my brightest tubes I own. They lack some punch but have really good mids with the treble bordering on a bit bright for me. I don't believe I'll ever be using these with the HE560 and Purplehearts but no biggie as I have plenty of warmer sounding headphones.
I find the gold pin and steel pins too harsh for my ears and gear. Bit too dynamic for ears nowadays. Can't really sell them due to being microphonic. They are usable though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back