Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 17, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #17,822 of 23,494
Ribbed, eh? No clue. How can one tell? They were in the aisle with the KY and condoms, so... :wink: I just hope they test well and sound good. Eargasms FTW.

ROFL!!

"How can one tell?"
Um, the ribbed plate ones have ribs in the plates? (sorry, still spittin' Mt. Dew out of my nose on the KY). :stuck_out_tongue:

53 Foton 11.jpg

Here's the ones without ribs (one aisle over by the Tampax):
59 Foton.jpg

May 17, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #17,823 of 23,494

ROFL!!

"How can one tell?"
Um, the ribbed plate ones have ribs in the plates? (sorry, still spittin' Mt. Dew out of my nose on the KY). :stuck_out_tongue:

Here's the ones without ribs (one aisle over by the Tampax):
Always proud to inspire a spit take :D

Thanks for the photos. Once I have the actual tubes in hand ... *cue rimshot* ... sans KY ... I'll know. Sorry, now the importance of the rim j-- ... oh, I'd better stop. So, the ribbed version really are more pleasurable? The '69s '59s I have look like those you posted. I'm tellin' ya, older is better.

May 17, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #17,825 of 23,494
Always proud to inspire a spit take :D

Thanks for the photos. Once I have the actual tubes in hand ... *cue rimshot* ... sans KY ... I'll know. Sorry, now the importance of the rim j-- ... oh, I'd better stop. So, the ribbed version really are more pleasurable? The '69s '59s I have look like those you posted. I'm tellin' ya, older is better.

They sound mo' better to me. Smoother, more depth of tone and harmonic detail, better separation and placement in the soundstage. Besides the '53 Trojans ribbed, I have '58s, '59's, 61's, and 64's,all unribbed. The ribbed '53's are not a night/day improvement over the other '50s, but still quite audible. The '60s are nice sounding tubes and especially so for the money, but they're just nice sounding tubes lacking the super-tube qualities of the '50s, IMO.

May 17, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #17,826 of 23,494
Nothing for a decade and now he’s hooked on Dexedrine. Go figure.
An' then I sez, I sez, Lenny! You gotta check out these TUUUUUUUUUUBES! TUBES, man, that's where it's at - the future - it's all TUBES, man! TUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBES!!!

(and then Lenny plugged me into my lithium, and it's all groovy now, man)

May 17, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #17,828 of 23,494
Don't know all this KY jelly talk lol, but just got a pair of 3x mica Foton's in the MJ2 and my first pair of WE 396A JW's in my dac. Think the Foton's need a burn in though. Makes the PW green with envy with it rich creamy tone, and none of the negatives the Heerlen PW have at a fraction of the cost. Think I may prefer the Foton's more than the WE's.

May 17, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #17,829 of 23,494
Since you won't be needing those WE's any more, you should probably sell me some :) I've got some 2 mica Fotons and 3 mica Istoks on the way from AC, hopefully they compare well to the 3 mica Fotons. I'd still really like to get a pair of the WE to try, but haven't had a ton of luck on ebay lately as far as being able to find good pairings/years/prices.

I've seen some tubes on ebay that have bent pins, how big of a deal is this? I've never had to bend any pins before. I'm sure I could bend them back, but I worry about breaking a pin and being out the money I spent before I could even use them.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #17,830 of 23,494
Since you won't be needing those WE's any more, you should probably sell me some :) I've got some 2 mica Fotons and 3 mica Istoks on the way from AC, hopefully they compare well to the 3 mica Fotons. I'd still really like to get a pair of the WE to try, but haven't had a ton of luck on ebay lately as far as being able to find good pairings/years/prices.

I've seen some tubes on ebay that have bent pins, how big of a deal is this? I've never had to bend any pins before. I'm sure I could bend them back, but I worry about breaking a pin and being out the money I see before I could even use them.
This has seen a few auctions already. See if the seller would end the auction for that price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Weste...-Tubes-Tested-USA-SHIPMENTS-ONLY/282961578102

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #17,831 of 23,494

I've seen some tubes on ebay that have bent pins, how big of a deal is this? I've never had to bend any pins before. I'm sure I could bend them back, but I worry about breaking a pin and being out the money I spent before I could even use them.

Depends on how badly they're bent. Not really a high risk of breaking the pin, but breaking the seal where the pin enters the glass is quite possible if the pins are severely bent.

May 17, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #17,833 of 23,494
May 17, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #17,835 of 23,494

Users who are viewing this thread

Back