Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 4, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #17,656 of 23,494
Your next step is to do a new, "unbiased" 6922, 2c51, 6n3p, et. al. tube review. The Foton triples will be going for $300+ a pair in no time. You are one shrewd sob AC.
But I, for one, am seeing right through your generous-to-a-fault, spread-the-wealth-around, I'm-here-for-you-guys facade. You're an open book bro.
Hahahaha, I don’t need to do a review, all I had to do was sell you and TK a set.

May 4, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #17,659 of 23,494
I do not know if anyone would be interested.

The Schiit site has a new "B Stock" section and they have a number of original Lyr's for $249.00 with full warranty. Great price and for us the Lyr can roll more tubes than the Lyr 2.

http://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

Thanks for posting this information MWSVette. Bought the $249 one. I'd been looking for a Lyr I for a while. The used ones I found on eBay didn't ship to Canada & I found two in Canada but the sellers were asking too much IMO. Got this one at a great price + 5 years warranty. The main reason I was looking for a Lyr I, is because I recently bought a pair of Grado RS1 w/ buttons & that's going to be a great combo. I've owned a Lyr & a Lyr 2 in the past & from memory I preferred the Lyr. :thumbsup:

May 4, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #17,661 of 23,494
Thanks for posting this information MWSVette. Bought the $249 one. I'd been looking for a Lyr I for a while. The used ones I found on eBay didn't ship to Canada & I found two in Canada but the sellers were asking too much IMO. Got this one at a great price + 5 years warranty. The main reason I was looking for a Lyr I, is because I recently bought a pair of Grado RS1 w/ buttons & that's going to be a great combo. I've owned a Lyr & a Lyr 2 in the past & from memory I preferred the Lyr. :thumbsup:

Schiit started with 10 as of now they are down to 7. I do not imagine the rest will last long.

Congrats on you new toy....

:)

May 4, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #17,662 of 23,494
Hahahaha, I don’t need to do a review, all I had to do was sell you and TK a set.
I`m largely to blame for you selling out on the 3x`s. Should of kept my mouth shut about them until I grabbed another pair. Due have another pair coming from you though and trying to trade for another. Maybe I`ll put 1 of my pair of WE`s out there for trade bait. Props to you for not artificially inflating the price on them bro. Like that "HG" 6N23P.

May 4, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #17,663 of 23,494
It is quite remarkable how good those triple mica’s are. I was getting into the 65 Foton (which is no dog in itself by any means) and didn’t want to take them out. But I finally got my Elear back from VRacer (another headfier I lent them too) and my balanced cable at the same time.
The Elear has some issues with the treble but otherwise to me is a damn nice headphone. Underrated and they perform either way based off your gear and tubes. They’re Unbelievably dynamic. I get bloody lips every time listening to them because how hard the dynamics just cold cock you in the mouth....wait.....that didn’t sound right. How about how hard they punch you in the face. Much better.
So... I finally slapped in the 56 triple mica and wholly Schiit balls, they absolutely blew me away right out of the gate. First time I’ve heard nervina immediately without even having to burn them in. Tamed and enhanced the treble where some of the funk is gone and now quite the smooth. Absolutely fantastic tube. And for the money? I......need......to......hoard....many .....more!!!
So glad I have 1 more pair coming. :metal:& :v:

May 5, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #17,665 of 23,494
I do love my Elear, but I do use the Sonarworks reference 4 plugin with them. The sound signature is unbearable for me without it, but I’ve never heard another can as dynamic as these until you get into Stax territory, so with the plugin, they’re near perfect for me.

I find them very source revealing, so you really hear the difference across different tubes.

May 5, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #17,666 of 23,494
I do love my Elear, but I do use the Sonarworks reference 4 plugin with them. The sound signature is unbearable for me without it, but I’ve never heard another can as dynamic as these until you get into Stax territory, so with the plugin, they’re near perfect for me.

I find them very source revealing, so you really hear the difference across different tubes.
I want to download the sonoworks plugin and I did twice before. Each time I did, it hosed my operating system and I had to reinstall everything to get it up and running again. So Im hesitant to download again. Damness thing Ive ever seen and makes no sense. Coincidence? Maybe, but 2 times? Afraid to do it again.

May 5, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #17,667 of 23,494
I`m largely to blame for you selling out on the 3x`s. Should of kept my mouth shut about them until I grabbed another pair. Due have another pair coming from you though and trying to trade for another. Maybe I`ll put 1 of my pair of WE`s out there for trade bait. Props to you for not artificially inflating the price on them bro. Like that "HG" 6N23P.

Just a hint for any of you that might see a Lyr 3 in your future: get some 50's Foton 6n8s / 6h8c tubes before I buy the rest of them. The '60's are still plentiful and cheap on Ebay, but the '50's sound better and listings are rapidly diminishing. Don't be a victim to TK's excesses yet again if he ever latches on to these....you've been warned. :stuck_out_tongue:

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #17,668 of 23,494
Just a hint for any of you that might see a Lyr 3 in your future: get some 50's Foton 6n8s / 6h8c tubes before I buy the rest of them. The '60's are still plentiful and cheap on Ebay, but the '50's sound better and listings are rapidly diminishing. Don't be a victim to TK's excesses yet again if he ever latches on to these....you've been warned. :stuck_out_tongue:

Even better the ribbed Fotons from 52-55. Purchased a quad a while back and i’m thinking of purchasing another set. That should keep me busy for at least 30-40 years. :)

May 5, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #17,669 of 23,494
Even better the ribbed Fotons from 52-55. Purchased a quad a while back and i’m thinking of purchasing another set. That should keep me busy for at least 30-40 years. :)

Ribbed? You mean I missed some? Headin' to Ebay now. :anguished:

Tried some of the late 50's metal based Melz. Very nice, but they're pricier than the 50' Fotons and I like the Fotons better. The hole plate Melz are supposed to be even mo' primo, but the prices are way out of curiosity territory (for me).

May 5, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #17,670 of 23,494
Took out the Istok's after 200 hours, they sound real good, tubes look pristine. Think I am going to remove them from my sig. Put in a 58|59 Foton 2x mica in my MJ2, they seem to need a good burn in. Not fantastic out the gate like the 3x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back