Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 4, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #16,861 of 23,494
After listening to Ken-Rads; I have a feeling that with a different, open pair of headphones, the sound stage would be *very* wide. The sound stage depth is deeper and wider than the WE 396As. The tubes reminds me of the Siemens E88CC. It’s even handed throughout but instruments and vocals have a much more vivid sound. Lots of euphony from these tubes but they’re still clear/detailed. Not a hint of sibilance or harshness anywhere.

Bit of grain at the top end has started to smooth out, background noise is disappearing, but I’m still hearing small oddities. Like digital music that’s corrupted on one of the tubes every once in a while. Hoping after burn in those oddities will go away.

Definitely give these a try. They’re being left in on the amp.

@koover Once you get yours, I’m curious how they sound on your HE-560s. Especially the sound stage width.

Edit: After I’ve burned these and had some more head time with them. I wouldn’t mind lending them out to you guys. If you’re willing to pay for shipping here and back. @billerb1 @TK16 @AuditoryCanvas @koover @Autostart @MWSVette

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #16,862 of 23,494
Just won the bid on these untested WE 396a pair. That's a great price even for a paperweight. Lol who else was bidding on these?

Screenshot_20180304-170051.jpg

Mar 4, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #16,863 of 23,494
Never even seen that auction bro, otherwise I would of posted it here. I did a search of WE 396 A with the space included and it showed up. Good deal! You will find these tubes to sound quite different to the LM E's.

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #16,865 of 23,494
Never even seen that auction bro, otherwise I would of posted it here. I did a search of WE 396 A with the space included and it showed up. Good deal! You will find these tubes to sound quite different to the LM E's.

Thanks @TK16 I'm still waiting on my adapter to get her but when they're here I'll post a short review even though it's coming from a Woo

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #16,866 of 23,494
After listening to Ken-Rads; I have a feeling that with a different, open pair of headphones, the sound stage would be *very* wide. The sound stage depth is deeper and wider than the WE 396As. The tubes reminds me of the Siemens E88CC. It’s even handed throughout but instruments and vocals have a much more vivid sound. Lots of euphony from these tubes but they’re still clear/detailed. Not a hint of sibilance or harshness anywhere.

Bit of grain at the top end has started to smooth out, background noise is disappearing, but I’m still hearing small oddities. Like digital music that’s corrupted on one of the tubes every once in a while. Hoping after burn in those oddities will go away.

@koover Once you get yours, I’m curious how they sound on your HE-560s. Especially the sound stage width.

Edit: After I’ve burned these and had some more head time with them. I wouldn’t mind lending them out to you guys. If you’re willing to pay for shipping here and back. @billerb1 @TK16 @AuditoryCanvas @koover @Autostart @MWSVette

Glad they show some promise on your rig. When I first got these I thought they were good, but when I finally gave them some decent burn time, they surprised me with a leap forward. Sure they clean up and tighten up a bit across the spectrum, but it was the high end that took on more dimension.
Wasn't tracking burn time, so I don't know for sure, guessing it was at least 60 hours, but could have been more.

On the noise issue, all of the ones I have are dead quiet. Some of these larger tubes will ting when warming/expanding and cooling/contracting. Should be quiet after warmup though. If you have noise after initial burn time, about 20 hours, I would let the seller know. I had 1 out of 6 with serious noise, seller replaced it.

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #16,867 of 23,494

Mine had some background noise initially, which I found out to be the grid cap wires picking up interference. If you're also getting occasional static noise, make sure the grid caps are tight, and that the grid post on the top of the tubes are clean. The Ken-Rads I have a fine, but I have a pair of Marconi where the grid post is thinner, so the caps were barely gripping and kept slipping, so I had to tighten them.

Mar 6, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #16,869 of 23,494
About 20 hours in on my Bugle Boys last night and I started hearing a very high pitched squeal or whine. At first I thought it was my tinnitus acting up but it went away when I took off my headphones. Going to try some experiments to see if it's the tubes, the socket savers, my Elears or God forbid the Lyr itself (though at least I'm still in my 15-day return period). I didn't think I could hear pitches that high any more.

Mar 6, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #16,870 of 23,494
Just got my tracking number for a Mjolnir 2 that I ordered Feb 20th. So anyone wanting to get one should order soon as they are in stock again. Life is good again as I had sold my Lyr 2 and just been using a Jotunheim. I have been running TUBELESS!!!

Mar 6, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #16,871 of 23,494
@gardibolt, If it was just one channel, you can switch tubes channel to channel to confirm that it is one of the tubes. The noisy savers/adapters that I had were a lower pitched hum. All of the high pitched noise issues I had came from tubes. Anything is possible, but they are the first suspect. As you said, still early in the game, if it is the tube it might resolve itself with additional burn time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back