Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 7, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #16,876 of 23,493
Have really been enjoying my voyage into WE 396a Land. I'm surprised actually because their sound signature would not be what I'd usually consider in my audio wheelhouse. I've always tended more toward the high end, more toward detail vs smoothness and warmth. Maybe I'm mellowing. All I know is these WE's got their hooks in me. I can't point to a specific attribute that makes them stand out. There are things that other tubes do better...but the more I listen the more I don't find myself caught up in what they don't do but what they do do. Yes I said do do.
To me their overall presentation is an aged porterhouse, baked potato and salad. Simple yet totally engaging and satisfying. The WE's don't care about all the messy details...they apparently just deliver the important ones. The result is the best separation and the blackest background I've ever heard. Once I "got" the sound, the engagement factor just went off the charts. Just so easy to listen to...but you're always totally full when you're done. Definitely among my top 3 pairs of tubes. I owe TK for encouraging me to give these things a second audition. Guess I just wasn't ready for them the first time around.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #16,877 of 23,493
Have really been enjoying my voyage into WE 396a Land. I'm surprised actually because their sound signature would not be what I'd usually consider in my audio wheelhouse. I've always tended more toward the high end, more toward detail vs smoothness and warmth. Maybe I'm mellowing. All I know is these WE's got their hooks in me. I can't point to a specific attribute that makes them stand out. There are things that other tubes do better...but the more I listen the more I don't find myself caught up in what they don't do but what they do do. Yes I said do do.
To me their overall presentation is an aged porterhouse, baked potato and salad. Simple yet totally engaging and satisfying. The WE's don't care about all the messy details...they apparently just deliver the important ones. The result is the best separation and the blackest background I've ever heard. Once I "got" the sound, the engagement factor just went off the charts. Just so easy to listen to...but you're always totally full when you're done. Definitely among my top 3 pairs of tubes. I owe TK for encouraging me to give these things a second audition. Guess I just wasn't ready for them the first time around.
Wait until you try the Foton's, Got my pair of 65/66 in 2 hours, already like them better than the 59/60 Reflektor pair I pulled after 100 hours. Sound is kind of like "Communist WE 396A". Lush sounding and engaging.

Mar 7, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #16,881 of 23,493
I decided to try out the stock 6BZ7 tubes and give the Bugle Boys a rest. Much cleaner sound, very bright, nowhere near as much bass. Decent soundstage. They work very well with my 7XX, which is usually too dark and murky; the brightness helps clean up that sound a lot and make them better for classical music use.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #16,888 of 23,493
I'm pretty sure these are the same. After I get confirmation from @TK16 or @AuditoryCanvas I'll pull the trigger myself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-6N3P-39...289175?hash=item4b37b707d7:g:9q0AAOSwB9JZddAY

Message him and make sure they're Fotons that he sends. I had some from him last year. He also sends out Reflektors from the 60s, which aren't the same. They also aren't matched, so it can be hit and miss, but at that price, you're not losing much if all goes pear shaped.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #16,889 of 23,493
I'm pretty sure these are the same. After I get confirmation from @TK16 or @AuditoryCanvas I'll pull the trigger myself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-6N3P-39...289175?hash=item4b37b707d7:g:9q0AAOSwB9JZddAY
Those are it bro, but I ordered those Foton's from the same seller as I bought my 2 other Russian pairs (would of passed otherwise). I got 2 pair from @AuditoryCanvas in a trade and they are quite good. Tested and matched. Anyways them tubes are quite cheap to take a chance on. As long as they are the tubes in the pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back