Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 23, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #12,436 of 23,494

I swear that tube on the left does NOT have 9 pins!!

NM...I looked at the rest of the pics. 
redface.gif

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #12,437 of 23,494
Coming back to the stock canadian tubes as one of the 2 Reflektors went clear/white after some days, and after removing it, I see it has been fractured/broken!

The reason of this, is just a "bad tube"? Or I bought a pair that didn't match. (Sound was good for the 2-3 days I've used them). 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Went to the post today to retire some packages and I now got 2 pair of tubes (2 ECC88 Hewlett packards and 2 Voskhods) and socket savers. So now I'm trying the Hewlett Packards

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #12,438 of 23,494
Coming back to the stock canadian tubes as one of the 2 Reflektors went clear/white after some days, and after removing it, I see it has been fractured/broken!

The reason of this, is just a "bad tube"? Or I bought a pair that didn't match. (Sound was good for the 2-3 days I've used them). 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Went to the post today to retire some packages and I now got 2 pair of tubes (2 ECC88 Hewlett packards and 2 Voskhods) and socket savers. So now I'm trying the Hewlett Packards

You were better off getting the pair from Rob I linked you to, he doesn't sell junk tubes. Hopefully your other pair will fare better.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #12,440 of 23,494
You were better off getting the pair from Rob I linked you to, he doesn't sell junk tubes. Hopefully your other pair will fare better.

Yeah, I know, those reflektors were amazing, I'd have bought them if I'd lived in the US. But the final price in Europe was gonna be over 80€ and wanted to get something asap and more economic to start.  

BTW, how do the vendors know they are not selling junk tubes. I mean, these tubes can't fail anyway? (my 1st reflektors probably failed in the first 72 hours, but they were sounding great anyway!. 
I've stopped using the Lyr for 4 days, and when I came back the tube was white, ). 

-------------------------------------

Coming back to my current tubes. I like more the Hewlett Packards and Voskhods than the stock canadians. (My old Reflektors, were similar to the current voskhods) 
I've tried the Hewlett's for a day and half (they are more quiet in the low end, but better in hi end vs the stock canadians), Now I'm trying the voskhods [one has a silver shield the other a gray shield] (they have more gain in the low end but maybe less than the old reflektors).

I think HP's are more detailed than canadians, and Voskhods slightly are more detailed than HPs.
But I'm not really sure if this example (below) is real "detail", first I confused this with some kind of interference, but it's part of the track. In general I still like it, more than the stock tubes or my Fulla 2 old amp:
If I play this song (for instance, at the second 0:40): https://open.spotify.com/track/63Ly2sEzloc9s0yAXlMi6r
There is some kind of crisp sound (like a bonfire sound). Well, my ranking from where I least feel to where I feel the most is:
Fulla 2  -> Lyr 2 (Stock canadian) -> Lyr2 (HPs) -> Lyr2 (Reflektors/Voskhods). 
With a big difference between Fulla and Canadians. And another jump between Canadians and HPs/Reflektors/Voskhods. 
Other songs like this, (with clean background unlike the previous example) have amazing details with the voskhods, so I think the tubes are fine (if they don't fail like my old reflektors :p)

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #12,442 of 23,494
18 hrs left 7 Siemens CCa silver shield early 1966.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-matched-CCa-tubes-from-siemens-/302259261134

6 UK tubes auction, mostly "R" coded.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6x-Used-Tested-ECC88-E88CC-CV2492-Genuine-Old-Original-Mullard-Brimar-Gold-Pins-/391738509958

French Dario Miniwatt E88CC. $96.17
http://www.ebay.com/itm/one-pair-E88CC-Philips-same-code-similar-E188CC-gold-pin-NOS-/382008986586

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #12,443 of 23,494
Burson Cable+ R2R Review

First of all, I would like to start off by giving Charles from SS-Audio another huge thanks for allowing me to test their gear.

To start, this is another home run from a company that never fails to impress me with their products.

I've read in many reviews that the Cable+ is great for situations that you don't have the best signaling.  A lot of reviewers have stated that it makes a huge difference.  When I was first reached out to about the Cable+, I was a bit skeptical.  How much could this product really help?  All my signals are already pretty high end, so this is a situation different from everything that I've read about it so far.

Running it between my ASUS Xonar STX and my Lyr 2, I was amazed.  I was using some pretty solidly rated Monster Cable before the test.  High purity, OFC, shielded, and so on.  As soon as I switched the cables, the improvement was immediate.  I'm not going to try explain how this range was more pronounced and this one was more subtly, it literally sounded like I had been listening to my music through a heavy cloth and suddenly it was now gone.  Every bit of the audio quality had been improved.  Cleaner, brighter, more detailed, the works.  Better in every way.  Not only better audio quality, the volume levels had improved as well dramatically.  It was no different than flipping the high gain switch.

Final thoughts:

I love it!  I wish I had more of them.  The only downside is that they are active so they require a power source.  If you can get over that, these are just another huge step in the right direction of audio nirvana :wink:

I will update this post after the end of this month with more photos and more thoughts after I get my Valhalla 2 and new DAC (Oppo/Chord).

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #12,445 of 23,494
My MJ2 is scheduled for delivery Wednesday. Glad I paid for overnight shipping. Paid for it the 15th.

Mine too! It ships today. I also paid for overnight delivery!

My XLR interconnects and headphone cables showed yesterday so I am all set.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #12,446 of 23,494
My MJ2 is scheduled for delivery Wednesday. Glad I paid for overnight shipping. Paid for it the 15th.

Mine too! It ships today. I also paid for overnight delivery!

My XLR interconnects and headphone cables showed yesterday so I am all set.

You guys are KILLING me. No word yet on my Yggy.

EDIT: Just heard back from Schiit customer service. Still waiting on parts but expecting them "soon".
Ouchy.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #12,448 of 23,494
I couldn't find any information on the tubes that you were talking about, but I am attaching a photo of what I noticed.  Any thoughts?

I'm almost certain that the tubes on the right were made by RVC. The octagon fits and I'm not aware of RCA having made tubes in Canada. It is quite plausible that there was some cooperation between the two, though. Tubes made by RVC seldom carried the RVC logo (apparently the boxes more often did). Most were sold branded something else, especially Marconi or GE; that's Canadian Marconi and Canadian GE.

Turns out that there was an RCA receiving tube plant in Canada! I found out this by chance today. The plant was in Cowansville, Quebec. It is difficult to find any information about this plant. It seems to have been rather short-lived. But, yes, it is indeed possible that those tubes were made by RCA in Canada!

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #12,449 of 23,494
Says my MJ2 was delivered at my doorstep? Hopefully my tenants were home at the time of delivery. Was supposed to be signature delivery. Looks like I am staying in this thread, not much action in the MJ2 tube rolling thread. Keeping the Lyr2.

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #12,450 of 23,494
Says my MJ2 was delivered at my doorstep? Hopefully my tenants were home at the time of delivery. Was supposed to be signature delivery. Looks like I am staying in this thread, not much action in the MJ2 tube rolling thread. Keeping the Lyr2.

Mine hasn't shown up yet and I am at home. I put my Lyr 2 up for sale last night and I think it is sold already. But I will say in this thread unless the MJ2 tube rolling thread takes off.....even then, I like the folks here so I will stay anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back