Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 22, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #11,116 of 23,494
Insane!!! I say that price you can feed my children for a month!!

confused_face.gif

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #11,119 of 23,494
TELEFUNKEN, SIEMENS, VALVO, LORENZ, and other German made NOS: These tubes are usually characterized by an impressive open "air" at the top end. The soundstage is large, even in mono applications these tubes have a great 3-D image. The midrange is ruler flat, and the bass is tight and accurate. These tubes have a fine sense of dynamics, and most are impressively quiet. These are not "warm" tubes, and to some ears their lack of midrange warmth may be heard as bright. I tend to think of them as accurate, and their clean, focused sonic image is astonishing. My personal favorites. The top types are as would be expected: the 7308/E188CC, the Cca, and the 6922/E88CC. The Cca is a very special 6922 made for the German government for telecommunications. They are excellent tubes, as good as any 7308. By the way, the 1970s versions of these brands are excellent as well, in spite of some trashing on "Some Guy's Tube Lore" and other web pages. Don't let anyone tell you what tubes you should like and what you should not like!

AMPEREX, PHILIPS, MAZDA and other Holland/France/Belgium made NOS: These tubes are a great balance of a clean, airy top end, nice midrange warmth, and accurate bass. They are very pleasant, clean, and musical to listen to in hi-fi applications. The white label Amperex PQ type or USN-CEP (same tube, the USN was made for the military) made in the USA are considered one of the best 7308 or 6922 types of all ever made. The D-getter and pinch waist rare types are also highly regarded, and are very quiet as well. The orange label types run a close second. Look for the white label USA and Heerlen Holland factory made for other brands. They are the same tube and usually less expensive than those with the Amperex or Philips label! Finally, Philips (the parent company of Amperex) owned a number of tube brands, and many were never seen outside of Europe. Most were actually made in the same Heerlen, Holland factory that turned out the Bugleboy 6DJ8 and PQ 6922 Amperex. Watch for tubes labeled E88CC with brands like Valvo, R/T, RTC, Miniwatt, Dario, Philips, and Adzam. These tubes are identical to the Amperex PQ and Philips SQ (Special Quality) types more often found in America, and are perfect if the Amperex is not available, since they sound and look the same. Also rare in America are these same brands made at the Philips-owned Mazda factory (La Radiotechnique) in Suresnes, France. These usually have a capital "F" in the second line of the date code. They are sweet like the Holland tubes, with a bit better detail and punch at the top end, and still have nice balanced warmth. We are one of the very few worldwide tube dealers to offer these rare NOS French Philips tubes.

This is what Brent Jesse's opinion about those tubes...BUT each person has own opinion...So this is one person's view...Hope this help.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #11,120 of 23,494
The Siemens and Teles are soundstage, image and detail monsters. Siemens having better depth(probably the best of any tube I've heard). Imo, Amperex tubes , at least the ones I've heard, are the least warmth tube. If you want details, the best midrange on the planet, with insane holography . I'd take Billys suggestion and look for some Valvo E188CC Heerlen tubes.
will a Siemens CCA be lusher than a Telefunken? , But less warm than an Amperex?

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #11,122 of 23,494
I'm looking for some Voskhod Rockets '75 for my Lyr 2 and found this ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N23P-E88CC-6922-6DJ8-Matched-PAIR-Voskhod-Rocket-Single-Wire-NEW-1975-1-/172406993852?hash=item282441f3bc:g:h78AAOSwUV9WoKDi

Do these look like the real deal? Does anyone have any experience with svetlena_ua as a seller? Thanks for any help! I do want to thanks all of you for doing so much research and sharing it with the rest of us, BTW. It's much appreciated!
Adam

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #11,123 of 23,494
Cheapest way to go for the lusher midrange might be a Dutch Philips or Valvo E188CC.  Certainly a grey shield Siemens Cca or Telefunken Cca or E188CC would be vast improvements over the Orange Globes.
will a Siemens CCA be lusher than a Telefunken? , But less warm than an Amperex?

First of all I'm sure I have different cans and a different amp than you do and we all have different ways of describing 'sound'. I'm presently using Tele E188CC's...have 2 pair. One is more "lush" to my ears than the other. Great balance and detail and the midrange is glorious on my #1 pair... more delicate and analytical on the other. I'm waiting on a pair of grey shield Siemens Cca's so I can't compare. Most people here seem to feel they have more depth and "meat" than the Tele's...but in my case it's going to have some serious work to do to better the Tele E188CC's on my rig. For drop dead midrange I used Holland Philips or Valvo E188CC's for a long time until replacing them with pinched waist Holland tubes and then the Teles. Good luck with the search.

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #11,124 of 23,494
First of all I'm sure I have different cans and a different amp than you do and we all have different ways of describing 'sound'. I'm presently using Tele E188CC's...have 2 pair. One is more "lush" to my ears than the other. Great balance and detail and the midrange is glorious on my #1 pair... more delicate and analytical on the other. I'm waiting on a pair of grey shield Siemens Cca's so I can't compare. Most people here seem to feel they have more depth and "meat" than the Tele's...but in my case it's going to have some serious work to do to better the Tele E188CC's on my rig. For drop dead midrange I used Holland Philips or Valvo E188CC's for a long time until replacing them with pinched waist Holland tubes and then the Teles. Good luck with the search.

Is there a specific difference between your 2 telefunkens as far as marketing, or is it just a matter of luck?

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #11,125 of 23,494
Telefunken tubes are hard to define.

They changed construction several times during their production years:

1) E188CC had two types 1965-1967 with inclined getter post, past 1968 with straight ribbed getter post

2) E88CC had three types - 1956-1961(1962 maybe) - inclined getter post fat getter ( and even this type is has three subtypes - 1 gold pins gold rods gold wiring, 2 gold pins gold rods, 3 gold pins nickel rods), inclined getter post thin getter - 1962-1967, and striaght ribbed getter post past 1968.

I've listened to all types from the E88CCs except the earliest triple gold type and I can say the midrange on the fat getter types is more glorious than the later types, it is not as lush as let's say Heerlen tubes but pretty great, in addition to that the detail is on par with Siemens CCas

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #11,126 of 23,494
  I'm looking for some Voskhod Rockets '75 for my Lyr 2 and found this ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N23P-E88CC-6922-6DJ8-Matched-PAIR-Voskhod-Rocket-Single-Wire-NEW-1975-1-/172406993852?hash=item282441f3bc:g:h78AAOSwUV9WoKDi

Do these look like the real deal? Does anyone have any experience with svetlena_ua as a seller? Thanks for any help! I do want to thanks all of you for doing so much research and sharing it with the rest of us, BTW. It's much appreciated!
Adam

Got a noisy pair of 74 Refletors from that seller and a noisy pair of 75 Reflektors from Jet Parts, they apparently do not test for noise. They might work fine in a Lyr 2, mine did, noisy in my dac though.

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #11,127 of 23,494

Is there a specific difference between your 2 telefunkens as far as marketing, or is it just a matter of luck?

Luck. Both are Telefunken E188CC. One 1968, the other 1970. Construction looks exactly the same. I always think there are at least subtle variations in tubes even out of the exact same production. Elves are responsible...or ThurstonX.

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #11,128 of 23,494

Adam

that's too much for voskhods.

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #11,130 of 23,494
  More Siemens "CCa" and not "C C A"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-great-tested-CCa-Siemens-Halske-grey-Plate-15-16-15-16-15-15-16-15-/322366081698

Am i wrong in my understanding that siemens tubes (particularly cca) should i either have codes etched in the glass (early 60's) or on the getter supporter post ( from about 63 or 64) for them to be legit?

did that stop perhaps in the 70's (say around a-frame getters or so)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back