Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 20, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #11,086 of 23,493
  Deal of a lifetime is back fellas. The only known "1960" White label Valvo E88CC 7LG.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-Valvo-E88CC-Rohren-Goldpins-gepruft-TU97-/262770426224

Now that's ROFLMFAO funny.  I thought it said $76 at first glance.  "Hmmmm, that's not an awful price for someone wanting a pair of Dutch E88CCs."  The triple take almost gave me whiplash.

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #11,088 of 23,493

Spydey, I did notice a fair bit of oxidation (? reckon that's your "soot") come off the Tubemonger savers when I cleaned them once, BUT this may have been from the DeoxIT treatment I'd given them earlier.  They ran for many months for many hours before I pulled them.  That said, I just cleaned them again a couple weeks ago, and there wasn't much coming off them.  I always clean with wooden-shafted swabs and 99% isopropyl alcohol, then brush on DeoxIT Gold from the Caig kit.  Tubemonger seemed surprised when I mentioned that first cleaning (in this thread, I imagine).  If you do it carefully, the pins can be cleaned with no adverse effects.

All that said, Tubemonger's customer service and willingness to stand behind their products is first rate (to wit, cv4109 posting recently).  When I first got my Lyr and Bifrost I got a pair of PYST cables from Schiit.  One had a bad solder joint, but my first thought was the socket savers.  I contacted Tubemonger and they requested I return the pair for a new pair, just so they could investigate.  I wasn't even close to being sure what the problem was, and testing eventually pointed squarely at one PYST cable (and Schiit, too, came through like the champs they are, shipping a new pair pronto, and letting me keep the originals.  I eventually re-soldered the bad joint, so, 2-for-1 :wink:  I'm still blown away by Tubemonger's response, and eventually upgraded to their latest-and-greatest socket savers.  Now I use both pairs, chained together, supporting humongous 6SN7-to-ECC88 adapters just so I can roll 6SN7s in the Lyr.  I wouldn't trust that task to cheap eBay savers.

My advice is try to work with them.  They clearly know their schiit, and I'd be surprised if the problem is their saver.  If so, they'll make it right.

Many thanks for your kind words. Sent free replacement socket savers to both customers today. Here is an important piece of information for the users:

Socket saver top end is high quality NOS McMurdo military grade socket. This would never need any cleaning during the lifetime even with 1000+ insertions. 

It is not a good idea to try to clean the socket savers or the socket saver pins with any contact cleaners/lubricants or alcohol. By doing so, you might have damaged these.

Again, you have to be careful about what to use while cleaning pins. Most so called treatments are OK for normal electrical contacts or plug. In case of tubes with pins running baking hot, such treatments leave residue which cakes in the socket or on the pins at high temp.

We have seen more issues post such treatments. Basic isopropyl alcohol in small amount is OK for PINS ONLY and not the socket side. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #11,089 of 23,493
Deal of a lifetime is back fellas. The only known "1960" White label Valvo E88CC 7LG.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-Valvo-E88CC-Rohren-Goldpins-gepruft-TU97-/262770426224

$99.99 single Siemens CCa 1963

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Siemens-Halske-CCa-1963-NOS-Gray-Shield-A0-6922-6DJ8-E88CC-ECC88-Tube-Gold-Pins-/291977385828

This pair of `68 Philips E188CC was $149.95 BIN was watching it, now $159.95 obo, $129 offer might get it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-E188CC-7308-PHILIPS-SQ-audio-tubes-NOS-E-188-CC-/282297764707

If you might be interested in the '68 Philips E188CC, I would be happy to sell my old #1 pair of Philips Miniwatt E188CC's for $80 plus $12 for USPS Priority shipping just to CONUS. I think I'm remembering they are a mixed '63/'66 pair. They were NOS when I got them and they probably have less than 750 hours on them...I have no testing equipment. If interested, PM me. I'll check them to make sure there's no tube noise before I ship. Let me know. They just aren't getting any head time anymore and it's a shame to have them just lay around.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #11,090 of 23,493
That's a crazy good price Billy

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #11,091 of 23,493

$99.99 single Siemens CCa 1963
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Siemens-Halske-CCa-1963-NOS-Gray-Shield-A0-6922-6DJ8-E88CC-ECC88-Tube-Gold-Pins-/291977385828

This pair of `68 Philips E188CC was $149.95 BIN was watching it, now $159.95 obo, $129 offer might get it.
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-E188CC-7308-PHILIPS-SQ-audio-tubes-NOS-E-188-CC-/282297764707

If you might be interested in the '68 Philips E188CC, I would be happy to sell my old #1 pair of Philips Miniwatt E188CC's for $80 plus $12 for USPS Priority shipping just to CONUS. I think I'm remembering they are a mixed '63/'66 pair. They were NOS when I got them and they probably have less than 750 hours on them...I have no testing equipment. If interested, PM me. I'll check them to make sure there's no tube noise before I ship. Let me know. They just aren't getting any head time anymore and it's a shame to have them just lay around.

Appreciate the offer bro, got all the Heerlen`s I want, got the 66 Philips Miniwatts E188CC in my dac and think I prefer the Mullards or Brimars in there. Sure somebody would jump at the chance here though. Great price.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #11,092 of 23,493
  Many thanks for your kind words. Sent free replacement socket savers to both customers today. Here is an important piece of information for the users:

Socket saver top end is high quality NOS McMurdo military grade socket. This would never need any cleaning during the lifetime even with 1000+ insertions. 

It is not a good idea to try to clean the socket savers or the socket saver pins with any contact cleaners/lubricants or alcohol. By doing so, you might have damaged these.

Again, you have to be careful about what to use while cleaning pins. Most so called treatments are OK for normal electrical contacts or plug. In case of tubes with pins running baking hot, such treatments leave residue which cakes in the socket or on the pins at high temp.

We have seen more issues post such treatments. Basic isopropyl alcohol in small amount is OK for PINS ONLY and not the socket side. 

FWIW, I use 99% isopropyl (medical grade), enough drying/evaporation time (can't imagine that takes long at that concentration, but I usually give them minimum 15 min.), followed by Caig's DeoxIT Gold from their Vacuum Tube Survival Kit, always wiping off the excess thoroughly, and that's it.  I've read complaints about Caig stuff causing nasty build-up, esp. in high temp. applications like a Lyr, but I have never had that problem... and in the past I even applied minuscule amounts of DeoxIT Gold in the sockets themselves (kinda pointless, since the pins already have it on them).  With all that, I've never once had a problem with tubes or your awesome socket savers using the method, above.  I'll grant you not everyone is that meticulous, and as you say, it should not be done in a slapdash manner.

I'm never surprised now when the isopropyl pulls off small amounts of oxidation even on what appear to be the most pristine gold-plated pins.  Is Caig DeoxIT Gold a placebo?  Hell if I know, but that tiny bottle is nowhere near running out, so pass the sugar pills, please.

Livin' on the edge, as Prophets will 
cool.gif

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #11,093 of 23,493

FWIW, I use 99% isopropyl (medical grade), enough drying/evaporation time (can't imagine that takes long at that concentration, but I usually give them minimum 15 min.), followed by Caig's DeoxIT Gold from their Vacuum Tube Survival Kit, always wiping off the excess thoroughly, and that's it.  I've read complaints about Caig stuff causing nasty build-up, esp. in high temp. applications like a Lyr, but I have never had that problem... and in the past I even applied minuscule amounts of DeoxIT Gold in the sockets themselves (kinda pointless, since the pins already have it on them).  With all that, I've never once had a problem with tubes or your awesome socket savers using the method, above.  I'll grant you not everyone is that meticulous, and as you say, it should not be done in a slapdash manner.

I'm never surprised now when the isopropyl pulls off small amounts of oxidation even on what appear to be the most pristine gold-plated pins.  Is Caig DeoxIT Gold a placebo?  Hell if I know, but that tiny bottle is nowhere near running out, so pass the sugar pills, please.

cool.gif

meticulous - that is the key. We have seen many issues mainly from being otherwise while using any of these methods. Any strong solvent can potentially dissolve the adhesives we use in the socket savers.

Gold pins can tarnish easily especially when coming out of damp basements or warehouses.

Easy, earth friendly solution for Gold Pin tarnish removal - cut a lemon in half. Insert tube pins in one of the halves. Remove and re-insert a few times. Now you can wipe off the tarnish with q-tip and plain water. Be sure to rinse off all the pins using Q-tips/plain water otherwise lemon juice will leave sticky film on the pins. CAUTION: Many a gold pin coating is fragile. This process may harm such weak coatings. Use carefully.

Another issue is that for non-gold plated pins, many newbies think all pins should be shiny and or have uniform color. Most steel pins have many shades/hues as a result of the manufacturing process. People may wrongly assume these pins to be tarnished. Look closely at the pins here:

Same goes for our socket saver. It will have bands of 2/3 hues from the dip in the solder bath. That does not imply any tarnish on the pins.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #11,094 of 23,493
Thurston said:

cool.gif

Heed the word.  He is among us.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #11,095 of 23,493

I SHALL BAPTIZE ALL WITH 99% ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL!!!

(Christian Scott rules!  Live at Newport, baby :wink:

ahhhh, The Last Temptation of Rangy  ....  suck it, Scorsese

I love you, Martin

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #11,096 of 23,493

I SHALL BAPTIZE ALL WITH 99% ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL!!!

(Christian Scott rules!  Live at Newport, baby :wink:

ahhhh, The Last Temptation of Rangy  ....  suck it, Scorsese

I love you, Martin

Ahh, Christian Scott.  A prophet of a different color.  His word does indeed rule.

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #11,098 of 23,493
Hey Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you fellow addicts. The banter is always fun here and I've learned a ton from you guys.
Enjoy !!!

And too you Bill.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back