Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 11, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #8,176 of 23,494
I had a pair of 60's Valvo(heerlen) PCC88. They weren't terrible. They seemed too closed in. Not as holographic to my ears. You may have gotten lucky and scored some triple mica Stuttgarts. I've read both lyr threads, and they got huge praise in the old thread. Would definitely like to see some pics.

Edit: Volume levels are definitely different between pcc88 and 6922 variety. For reference, 12 o'clock for 6922, 2 o'clock for pcc88, for matching volume levels.

My second loudest pair of tubes are the miniwatts I got from lekoross. You guys remember , the stooges tubes. These are at 10:45 to the miniwatt being at 12. That's a big jump. Which would put them around 2 clicks more powerful than average in my box.

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #8,177 of 23,494
So I got my BUGLE BOY 6DJ8 ECC88 in and installed. Not sure if they are already broken in or not. I am going to guess the quality of them is lost on my probably a little damage ears.
I think they sound less bassy for sure then my LISST but other that im not totally sure =(
edit, maybe sound is a touch fuller on my Foxtex X00's. Hard to tell. Def less bass.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #8,178 of 23,494
I have a pair of those coming from Peru . I hope mine inspire more joy than yours .Along with more blackburn ecc88, because I love the ones I have. Still waiting for Swiss-tubes to get my miniwatts to me. Slow as smoke off a turd, that guy.

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #8,179 of 23,494
I have a pair of those coming from Peru . I hope mine inspire more joy than yours .Along with more blackburn ecc88, because I love the ones I have. Still waiting for Swiss-tubes to get my miniwatts to me. Slow as smoke off a turd, that guy.

Just got my '60/'63 pair of Heerlen Philips E188CC Minwatts from that same swiss-tubes ebay auction yesterday.  Unusual in that they have the most laid-back midrange I've ever heard on a pair of Holland Miniwatts...but at the same time present with an elegance I've never heard on any pair of Minis...and I've heard about a dozen.  Really happy with these.  Hope you will be too when yours arrive.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #8,180 of 23,494
There is a problem there. My auction closed before the 188ccs were up. So...he forgot or they are lost in the postal maze. I'm enjoying those pcc88s a lot. Painfully vivid while the clarity is on par with ecc88 . Slightly dull by comparison to e88cc. They're a must have for he560 owners. Add a lot of body to the sound. Too much for zmfs. Those get claustrophobic . Glad to hear yours are nice. I'm hoping to luck up on a pair for my monarchy dac.

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #8,181 of 23,494
There is a problem there. My auction closed before the 188ccs were up. So...he forgot or they are lost in the postal maze. I'm enjoying those pcc88s a lot. Painfully vivid while the clarity is on par with ecc88 . Slightly dull by comparison to e88cc. They're a must have for he560 owners. Add a lot of body to the sound. Too much for zmfs. Those get claustrophobic . Glad to hear yours are nice. I'm hoping to luck up on a pair for my monarchy dac.

Not to worry.  Mine only seemed held up in customs for a day...so I'm sure yours will show up soon.  Let us know how they work out.

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #8,182 of 23,494
They just got here. He must've been holding out for a more efficient trip to the post office. I am trying out the weakest pair first. $21. They sound remarkably like heerlen miniwatts. Since they are. Why didn't I find these things 5 years ago when I got the lyr? They sound great. Not like my First pair but as good as the next 2. Now I have 6 pairs of Philips miniwatts but no e188ccs from them. They may have to go in the dac just to use some. Not as in your face as the Lorenz but clearer. If my 1st few pair of tubes were this good I would be as smart as you guys now.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #8,183 of 23,494
They just got here. He must've been holding out for a more efficient trip to the post office. I am trying out the weakest pair first. $21. They sound remarkably like heerlen miniwatts. Since they are. Why didn't I find these things 5 years ago when I got the lyr? They sound great. Not like my First pair but as good as the next 2. Now I have 6 pairs of Philips miniwatts but no e188ccs from them. They may have to go in the dac just to use some. Not as in your face as the Lorenz but clearer. If my 1st few pair of tubes were this good I would be as smart as you guys now.

My biggest 'epiphany' moment with tubes was the first time I heard the Philips Miniwatts when I had my Lyr a few years back. Everybody seems to have one of those with what becomes their own personal holy grails.  I'd already rolled thru a bunch of mid-level 6922 types and tried some of the higher end Siemens, Telefunkens, various Russian tubes.  To me the Heerlen Miniwatt presentation was a game changer.  Just seemed so much more engaging than anything I'd heard before.  That Miniwatt midrange just seemed to put me right inside the music.
As to the Miniwatt E188CC's vs their E88CC counterparts, I feel like there is a touch of smoothness, separation and a bit more 'space' in the E188CC's as compared to the E88CC's...but I very well could just be bs'ing myself.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #8,184 of 23,494
I got a pair of Dario e188cc from suresnes bought from lekoross. He and I agree they lie somewhere between the rbHGs and miniwatts of Heerlen. The strongest pair of the miniwatts from swiss tubes seems halfway there again. more refined, more space more clarity than its counterparts. All sound similar, none the same. these could be the stop gap for the dac. wish it had the soundstage of the 188ccs or HGs.I hae the 1 e188cc valvo that I use with the mystery tube (siemens)
Those epiphanies are raining on me weekly these days. I fell in love with these mullards ecc88s, no refinement , just mellow bassy goodness, those pcc88s from Lorenz, crazy attack on the ears. The mystery tube with its beautiful soundstage like the HGs and rolling mids, The infamous nyuk nyuk miniwatts from the first batch from lekoross, Learning a lot  these last few weeks. expensive, time consuming learning. Even though ive been staying on the cheap. I'm looking to get a pair of e188cc for the dac because of the soundstage and what I perceive to be superior dynamics to the Russians. I do love that Russian sound stage but the holography and punch of the heerlens is a huge draw. When I see the ones I want I will have to put in a more serious bid and stop this slow bleeding for stop gaps. ive been 2nd highest bidder like 5 times.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #8,185 of 23,494
  I got a pair of Dario e188cc from suresnes bought from lekoross. He and I agree they lie somewhere between the rbHGs and miniwatts of Heerlen. The strongest pair of the miniwatts from swiss tubes seems halfway there again. more refined, more space more clarity than its counterparts. All sound similar, none the same. these could be the stop gap for the dac. wish it had the soundstage of the 188ccs or HGs.I hae the 1 e188cc valvo that I use with the mystery tube (siemens)
Those epiphanies are raining on me weekly these days. I fell in love with these mullards ecc88s, no refinement , just mellow bassy goodness, those pcc88s from Lorenz, crazy attack on the ears. The mystery tube with its beautiful soundstage like the HGs and rolling mids, The infamous nyuk nyuk miniwatts from the first batch from lekoross, Learning a lot  these last few weeks. expensive, time consuming learning. Even though ive been staying on the cheap. I'm looking to get a pair of e188cc for the dac because of the soundstage and what I perceive to be superior dynamics to the Russians. I do love that Russian sound stage but the holography and punch of the heerlens is a huge draw. When I see the ones I want I will have to put in a more serious bid and stop this slow bleeding for stop gaps. ive been 2nd highest bidder like 5 times.

It appears you are officially 'certifiable' at this point.  My congratulations/condolences.
After initial burn-in with my above-mentioned new Miniwatts I would rank my 6922 'keepers' in the following order:
1956 Eindhoven/Heerlen Pinched Waists
1956 Heerlen Valvo Cca E88CC Pinched Waists
1960/1963 Heerlen Philips Miniwatt E188CC's
1963/1966 Heerlen Philips Miniwatt E188CC's
1965 Hicksville NY Amperex 7308's

They are all so good to me...and, as you say, they each have their own idiosyncrasies.  There's really not a 'best'. 
All depends on my mood. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #8,186 of 23,494
Those of you wondering what to do with your exotic Single tubes, Schiit introduced the Vali 2 yesterday and it only uses 1 tube and it uses the same types as the Lyr 2 or Mjolnir 2. The only caveat is that the plates need to be matched or there could be channel imbalance. Unfortunately I don't need another amp right now.

How hard is it to find a tube dealer that checks voltage on both plates to match? Or is that a normal thing?

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #8,187 of 23,494
Those of you wondering what to do with your exotic Single tubes, Schiit introduced the Vali 2 yesterday and it only uses 1 tube and it uses the same types as the Lyr 2 or Mjolnir 2. The only caveat is that the plates need to be matched or there could be channel imbalance. Unfortunately I don't need another amp right now.

How hard is it to find a tube dealer that checks voltage on both plates to match? Or is that a normal thing?

​Retail dealers like Brent Jesse or Upscale Audio section balance the tubes they sell. 

Ebay dealers will sometimes list values for each section but generally using their test equipment or possibly just making them up. lol. 

Much more buyer beware on ebay...

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #8,188 of 23,494
I think my favorite seller note is " I don't guarantee there will be no noise" I got a few with a transformer hum and some with awful microphonics. From well regarded sellers but not from the classifieds here.

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #8,189 of 23,494
Well the Heerlen Bugle boy D-getter '58s are here, and they sound very good, they have everything, I really can't fault them at the moment. Can't compare to the rest of my tubes yet but these babies won't disappoint, especially since they are ecc88 and can be found way cheaper than the other 50s D-Getters of the premium E88CC Family :)

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #8,190 of 23,494
Finally won an e188cc auction. All singles, all nos. miniwatt, valvos red and a valvo white. The last one already has a mate. I got sniped on the others but at least I put in the highest amount I wanted to pay. The others weren't so well matched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back