Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 12, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #6,316 of 23,494

Mismatches of those would work but the SQ would probably be poor.  I have found that when the dates are close and have the same factory and construction with matching triodes SQ is the best.  I find it more important in the lesser tubes like the 6dj8that they be very close matching in date and triode.  The 6922 and 7308 are closer matched to each other by design.

I believe 1 set of the cca's in rb2013's shoot-out were from different years.

+1 Those CCa's were just a few months apart and of the exact same internal construction.  So it all depends.  The best imaging, clarity and focus will be had with closely matched tubes (in output and construction).  As the two channels combine in still mysterious ways to trick the mind into recreating a 3D stereo presentation.

But you never know on combinations - I have tried over 50 different tubes in my Lyr - the mixing and matching would produce...let me calculate on my Babbage Computing Machine....

2,500 different combinations!  That would be some tube roll-a-thon Lol

Lol...that's just too precious man...

Apr 12, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #6,318 of 23,494
  Well that's my 'portable'

This is the one I use for the really tough tube calculations...what can I say I'm old school...

java, .NET, C.... pih!  Punch cards FTW!!!

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #6,320 of 23,494
Apr 12, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #6,321 of 23,494
All right, I have to admit I was having you on.  While I don't normally post photos of myself, I feel I must break that rule in order to come clean.  Here's my senior year high school year book photo:

Still waiting for y'all to catch up 
cool.gif

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #6,322 of 23,494
Apr 12, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #6,323 of 23,494
  All right, I have to admit I was having you on.  While I don't normally post photos of myself, I feel I must break that rule in order to come clean.  Here's my senior year high school year book photo:

cool.gif

And here I was all this time, thinking you were a monkey listening to headphones. Guess I should learn to stop trusting avatars...

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #6,325 of 23,494

cool.gif

Nice Thurston! You had me fooled with the headphone loving Monkey!

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #6,326 of 23,494

+1 Those CCa's were just a few months apart and of the exact same internal construction.  So it all depends.  The best imaging, clarity and focus will be had with closely matched tubes (in output and construction).  As the two channels combine in still mysterious ways to trick the mind into recreating a 3D stereo presentation.

But you never know on combinations - I have tried over 50 different tubes in my Lyr - the mixing and matching would produce...let me calculate on my Babbage Computing Machine....

2,500 different combinations!  That would be some tube roll-a-thon Lol

Nice! How do you match tubes? You seem to be very good at it in my experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back