Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 10, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #6,257 of 23,494
Man this thread is intense!

I've made it through 200 pages, and am making notes of all the tubes that seem to get a lot of communal praise in a spreadsheet, along with popular years, and average prices from Hifishark, Ebay and the web.

It's not a short list.

Then I went over and read rb2003's thread on 6922 tubes. And realized I can't afford any of the tubes in his list.

Man this isn't easy.

Is there a general consensus on a set of readily available, reasonably priced tubes that provides a tangible upgrade from the stock tubes, without breaking the bank or requiring a degree in tube-ology?

The Matsush!ta and Genalex tubes seem to get some decent praise at a low price, and the Bugle Boy seems to be a good tube at the higher end of what I'd considerable 'reasonable.' Are there others?

I popped my GE tubes back in after rolling some tubes from Rb's list. Sound great with Diana Krall! I'm going to try some more challenging music. I'm not saying they are better but they do sound good. They have at least 150 hours on them.
It's a bit hard to A/B given the need to let the Lyr cool for 10 to discharge the caps.
When you do this it just increases your appreciation for Rb's efforts

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #6,261 of 23,494
Does it mean anything when the top of one tube is silver and the other is darker?

If it's the getter flashing, I've read it has no effect on the sound of the tube, or quality. As long as it is some shade of grey/silver it should be good... just a product of the flashing process. (Some look darker than others)
http://tubesound.com/2008/09/30/brown-or-black-getter-flashing-does-not-mean-used/

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #6,263 of 23,494
Well. I know one thing. I'll never purchase ANYTHING, international again. Customs , is ridiculous! 5 days and counting , waiting for a package that's sitting in Chicago at the customs, hub. What a joke!

Dude that really stinks! Trust me, I know how painful it is to deal with international shipments.

What are you expecting? You got me all curious now.... 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #6,264 of 23,494
Well. I know one thing. I'll never purchase ANYTHING, international again. Customs , is ridiculous! 5 days and counting , waiting for a package that's sitting in Chicago at the customs, hub. What a joke!

Buckle up, Sam.  Just had one sit in Chicago for over 3 weeks !!!  I was freaking.  Eventually it just came....didn't get tracking info until the morning it was delivered....nothing saying it had finally left Chicago.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #6,265 of 23,494

That just stinks, there is no need for such bureaucratic crap. Sorry for your pain, hope your stuff gets through the quagmire of redtape as soon as possible.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #6,268 of 23,494
My new headphones(HD-700) were supposed to be here today. I think I'm getting bad juju , because I had my mind made up to get the 800's. But I couldn't resist the price to try the 700's first. Lol.
Dude that really stinks! Trust me, I know how painful it is to deal with international shipments.

What are you expecting? You got me all curious now.... :rolleyes:

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #6,269 of 23,494
The last update was on the 6th , that it was processed through their sort facility. Hasn't moved since. Man that would suck , if they hold it for 3 weeks. I'm canless , atm.
Buckle up, Sam.  Just had one sit in Chicago for over 3 weeks !!!  I was freaking.  Eventually it just came....didn't get tracking info until the morning it was delivered....nothing saying it had finally left Chicago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back