Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Nov 25, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #4,021 of 23,494

Probably.  Only one way to find out.  "Have to be" CCa?  Not sure I understand the question, but I'll say, No, anyway.

I don't even know what the "cca" stands for but when it see it along with the Tesla E88CC, it seems to be more expensive. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #4,022 of 23,494
I don't even know what the "cca" stands for but when it see it along with the Tesla E88CC, it seems to be more expensive. 

CCa was a German designation for E88CC tubes that passed rigorous tests that qualified them for use in the German Postal Service.  They are identical to E88CCs (are, in fact, E88CCs).  They do command a higher price, generally speaking.  As to whether or not they're worth it, opinions vary, but as with most things in this hobby, hearing for yourself, in comparison to other tubes, is believing, whatever your conclusion ends up being.

HTH.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #4,023 of 23,494

CCa was a German designation for E88CC tubes that passed rigorous tests that qualified them for use in the German Postal Service.  They are identical to E88CCs (are, in fact, E88CCs).  They do command a higher price, generally speaking.  As to whether or not they're worth it, opinions vary, but as with most things in this hobby, hearing for yourself, in comparison to other tubes, is believing, whatever your conclusion ends up being.

HTH.

Ahh.  I see. I'm learning a few things as I go.  It's good to know.  I guess I'll try some regular Tesla E88CC/ECC88. They seem to be more in my budget.  I'm guessing they will be better than the stock Lyr 2 tubes. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #4,024 of 23,494
  Ahh.  I see. I'm learning a few things as I go.  It's good to know.  I guess I'll try some regular Tesla E88CC/ECC88. They seem to be more in my budget.  I'm guessing they will be better than the stock Lyr 2 tubes. 

Happy to help.

FWIW, I prefer my Tesla E88CCs to the stock GE 6BZ7s.  Hope they work out for you.

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #4,025 of 23,494

Happy to help.

FWIW, I prefer my Tesla E88CCs to the stock GE 6BZ7s.  Hope they work out for you.

At sling5s, many "sellers" put "CCA" in the title to their offerings. As Thurston has pointed out "CCA" is a very exclusive/expensive tube that commands high prices. Many sellers "want" to make you think theirs are as good as "CCA" UNLESS IT ACTUALLY SAYS CCA ON THE TUBE, TOTAL MISREPRESENTATION. No reputable seller would use that ruse. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #4,026 of 23,494
@ oskari
Got my PCC88 Miniwatt tubes. Top, 4 creases, code as follows:   7G
                                                                                        B36        
Small "O" getter, single tab support for getter, not "A" frame
Code was hard to read, used my 20X jewelers loup.
I have read, Mullard,post 1960, 4 characters, pre 1960 3 characters,
for second line date.
thinking mid to late 50s date
7G may be 7?, "G" is Mullard
Just guessing.
Code is correct.

NOS VINTAGE MATCHED PAIR PHILIPS MINIWATT PCC88 TUBES "O" GETTER CODE D35 TESTED
( 371188801734 )

Will try to take other pictures myself and post later, seller had code wrong, codes are at bottom on side of tubes like normal.

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #4,027 of 23,494
  @ oskari
                                                                                        B36        
for second line date.
Just guessing.
Code is correct.

Post some pix.

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #4,028 of 23,494
  @ oskari
                                                                                        B36        
for second line date.
Just guessing.
Code is correct.

NOS VINTAGE MATCHED PAIR PHILIPS MINIWATT PCC88 TUBES "O" GETTER CODE D35 TESTED
( 371188801734 )

Will try to take other pictures myself and post later, seller had code wrong, codes are at bottom on side of tubes like normal.

The PCC88 can't be used in the Lyr2 - correct?

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #4,029 of 23,494

From Tubeworld's excellent website:

Code:
[color=rgb(0, 255, 0)] [color=#ff0000][b]CCa: What is It?[/b][/color] German Description: ------------------ Die folgende Valvo-CCa ist keine der "Gelben Serie" zugehörende, sie ist auch nicht tailliert. Es ist eine weiss gestempelte CCa die für die Post bestimmt war und auch entsprechend bezeichnet wurde. (Die Namensgebung CCa impliziert schon die Post-Zugehörigkeit, aber nur bei dieser wurde es zusätzlich auf der Röhre angegeben.) Sie besitzt den eingeätzten Code 7LH, darunter (Delta) 4D5. Die CCa ist eine Poströhre. Also eine speziell für die Post selektierte. (Besonders Rauscharm, Klingarm, besonders Langlebig.) "Klingarm" is the term for low microphonics. You often see Telefunken EF12K or AC701K, the K means Klingarm English Description: ------------------- CCa was a E88CC specially selected for "Post Germany"; special low noise, low microphonic, long-life 6922. Philips had similar selections for the "Dutch Post", some tubes are selected had "PTT" etched. The "German and Dutch Post" = telephone, telegraphie, telex, and the postal system. Much of the telephone centrals used tube equipment and for telephone equipment you want a "noise-free" enviroment. The letters "CC" probably equates to "double triode", and/or a for special design.[/color]

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #4,030 of 23,494
FYI From Tubeworld - The Best Sounding CCa's:

Code:
[color=rgb(0, 255, 0)] [color=#ff0000][b]The Best Sounding CCa=6922 ever made[/b][/color] TOP 5: ----- 1) CCa Siemens & Halske 1950's "U" getter halo and 1960's "O" getter halo "Rarest and most sought after CCa, has "gray shield" between plates, Most realistic sounding holographic soundstage, pure seductive sonic joy, complex symphonic images emerge effortlessly" 2) CCa Telefunken West Germany 1960's "excellent neutral holographic soundstage, vast vocabulary of tone establishes remarkable layers of harmonics, very rare" 3) CCa Siemens & Halske A-FRAME construction late 1960's - early 1970's "beautiful open air holographic images, low microphonic tube construction, rare" 4) CCa LORENZ West Germany early 1960's "beautiful open air holographic images, very rare" 5) CCa VALVO Heerlen Holland 1960's "real sonic holography, extremely rare" 6) CCa Siemens Rohre A-Frame early 1973-1974 (in stock, silver shield)[/color]

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #4,031 of 23,494

If you're on a budget, might I suggest Voskhod gray shields? I got a set of 1977s and they just sounded so perfect for so little money I completely forgot about this thread for a while. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #4,032 of 23,494

If you're on a budget, might I suggest Voskhod gray shields? I got a set of 1977s and they just sounded so perfect for so little money I completely forgot about this thread for a while. 

Thanks.  I'll look it up.  How do they compare with stock, Tesla and Telefunken in terms of sound signature? 

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #4,034 of 23,494
  @ oskari
                                                                                        B36        
for second line date.
Just guessing.
Code is correct.

( 371188801734 )

The first line of the code should start with DJ (for PCC88).

The second line has the factory code (if B, that's Mullard, Blackburn), digit for year, letter for month, and (possibly) digit for week of month.

Here is an example with Heerlen factory code:

1. http://www.tubemongerlib.com/gallery2/v/6DJ8/Amperex+Philips+PCC88+7DJ8+-+1964+Halo+Getter+Philips+Label+-+Heerlen+Holland.jpg.html

The code is:

DJ5
delta4L2

Post some pix.

That might help.

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #4,035 of 23,494

Thanks.  I'll look it up.  How do they compare with stock, Tesla and Telefunken in terms of sound signature? 

I can only compare to stock and Amperex but I'll say they sound very "neutral" to me. Like nothing colors the sound and it doesn't impart any of that artificial tube-iness of giving it heaps of warmth or anything. Just a great "set it and forget it" tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back