Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Nov 23, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #4,006 of 23,494
So this in my first comment on these forums in a long time, but my tube rolling fire has been rekindled, and I also had a question. I seem to remember finding a link to a very dated looking website that a had a huge table of hundreds of tubes, complete with pictures, a short description, and I think maybe an estimated price? Maybe the website even sold them? I don't really remember as it was a few years ago, but I'd really like to find that page again as I'm unsure what websites are reputable and what the standard internet vendors may be, or even where I can find some more information on them.

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #4,007 of 23,494
  So this in my first comment on these forums in a long time, but my tube rolling fire has been rekindled, and I also had a question. I seem to remember finding a link to a very dated looking website that a had a huge table of hundreds of tubes, complete with pictures, a short description, and I think maybe an estimated price? Maybe the website even sold them? I don't really remember as it was a few years ago, but I'd really like to find that page again as I'm unsure what websites are reputable and what the standard internet vendors may be, or even where I can find some more information on them.

It could of been tubeworld - I love this site.  https://www.tubeworld.com/index_high.htm

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #4,008 of 23,494
Nov 23, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #4,009 of 23,494

Exactly, just like CEi.  I think my favorite rebranding of the Russian "CEi" tubes is "Made In Germany" paired with "6922"  
rolleyes.gif

Finally bought one of those 6n23p relabeled as a 7308 by Westinghouse that Brent Jesse had listed on Ebay.  
confused_face_2.gif
 Didn't see any date code on it.  Labeled "Made in U.S.A." but obviously made in the USSR.  Funny at that time Westinghouse was the biggest producer of US nuclear missile warheads.  I guess they really like the reliability of the Russian tubes!  They marked them the superior 7308 vs 6922.

He said they were 1978's, but can't verify.  The 1978 Silver Shield Voskhod Rockets are a great tube and a real bargain at $40 a pr.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #4,011 of 23,494
  It could of been tubeworld - I love this site.  https://www.tubeworld.com/index_high.htm

I think I found it a few pages back, Brent Jesse's website. Though I don't remember it being as devoid of pictures as it is, somehow I thought most of the stock had accompanying pictures. No matter, thanks for that tubeworld link, I'll be sure to check it out!

Oh, and what's the story behind Western Electric? Why are they so rare and expensive?

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #4,012 of 23,494

I think I found it a few pages back, Brent Jesse's website. Though I don't remember it being as devoid of pictures as it is, somehow I thought most of the stock had accompanying pictures. No matter, thanks for that tubeworld link, I'll be sure to check it out!

Oh, and what's the story behind Western Electric? Why are they so rare and expensive?

The history of WE is a long one.  The prices of their 300b tubes, which I used to use went through the roof.  So I gave up on them.

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #4,015 of 23,494

Does anybody have these in their Lyr, Philips Miniwatt Special Quality 7308/E188CC Gold Pinned Tubes.  What do you think of them? What is a fair price?

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #4,017 of 23,494

Does anybody have these in their Lyr, Philips Miniwatt Special Quality 7308/E188CC Gold Pinned Tubes.  What do you think of them? What is a fair price?

div>

The early to mid 60's Heerlen Holland made Philips Miniwatt E188CC's are my absolute favorites. Lush, very upfront midrange that to me is incomparable. I'd be wary of those tubes you're referring to however. I always ask a seller if there are test results, whether there is any tube noise (and if he'll do refund if there is any) and also for the date codes...to verify year made and to verify where they were produced (Heerlen Holland tubes are designated by a delta or triangle symbol in the date code). The seller for those tubes actually told me he couldn't find the tubes to give me the date codes. He also has no test equipment to test them. He basically had no answers and gave no assurances on anything. He has had those up on Ebay for a long time...keeps lowering the price and still no takers. There are better deals out there if you're patient (especially Europe Ebay)...but in my opinion there are no better tubes than the Holland made Miniwatts. As to price you'll see them listed for up to $400 for a matched pair. I've found some great pairs for between $150/$200. Stole my last pair on Ebay for $73. Good luck.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #4,018 of 23,494
  Are Tesla E88CC better than stock Lyr 2 tubes or do they have to be CCa? 

Probably.  Only one way to find out.  "Have to be" CCa?  Not sure I understand the question, but I'll say, No, anyway.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #4,019 of 23,494

div>

The early to mid 60's Heerlen Holland made Philips Miniwatt E188CC's are my absolute favorites. Lush, very upfront midrange that to me is incomparable. I'd be wary of those tubes you're referring to however. I always ask a seller if there are test results, whether there is any tube noise (and if he'll do refund if there is any) and also for the date codes...to verify year made and to verify where they were produced (Heerlen Holland tubes are designated by a delta or triangle symbol in the date code). The seller for those tubes actually told me he couldn't find the tubes to give me the date codes. He also has no test equipment to test them. He basically had no answers and gave no assurances on anything. He has had those up on Ebay for a long time...keeps lowering the price and still no takers. There are better deals out there if you're patient (especially Europe Ebay)...but in my opinion there are no better tubes than the Holland made Miniwatts. As to price you'll see them listed for up to $400 for a matched pair. I've found some great pairs for between $150/$200. Stole my last pair on Ebay for $73. Good luck.

That's just wrong 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back