Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Nov 15, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #3,931 of 23,493
  Yeah its a sad time haha. I rolled the stock Lyr tubes and they didnt make any noise at all so it must be the russian tubes. It sucks that Kevin from Upscale is pretty cocky about his tubes and therefore, shows attitude about his loyal customers. He does have the best prices on the web right now but I think due to the large quantity of telefunkens hes pretty cocky about it. Do you think I should just go for the golds? I wont hair any difference and the tubes will probably last as long as each other so theres not much point for that extra dosh. 

Ooooh, are those reflektors the ones Bob or RB2013 sold you? I forgot which one mine are, I think they're the 74's? And are the 75s the ones Bob calls the holy grail russian tubes? What are your prices?

I paid Bob $229+ shipping for the 75Hg's, have about 250hrs on them they still test NOS on my Sencore TC-154. Asking $180/shipped, OBO. I have a spare pair I am keeping. I have a buyer for the 74s lined up. 

Nov 15, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #3,932 of 23,493
  The codes indicate they were manufactured on the 3rd Week of November 1969 in Holland. Don't quote me though, I'm new to this and I am probably completely wrong.

Not at all.
smile.gif
 The left one in the photo was made a week earlier. We can add that they were made by the Philips factory in Heerlen.

Nov 15, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #3,933 of 23,493
The '74 Voskhod 6n23p Rocket gray shields are an excellent introduction to the Voskhod sound.  They're a good compliment to the Amperex OG's, Orange Shield's and BB'shouse sound, more neutral, greater detail, with generally better bass.  And they can be had for under $70/pr for test matched sets.

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #3,934 of 23,493
  I paid Bob $229+ shipping for the 75Hg's, have about 250hrs on them they still test NOS on my Sencore TC-154. Asking $180/shipped, OBO. I have a spare pair I am keeping. I have a buyer for the 74s lined up. 

Thanks satwilson,

Are the 75Hg's the ones Bob considers "Holy Grail" and are they much better than the 74's and the telefunkens from Upscale Audio? I may be interested in these

Nov 15, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #3,935 of 23,493
  Thanks satwilson,

Are the 75Hg's the ones Bob considers "Holy Grail" and are they much better than the 74's and the telefunkens from Upscale Audio? I may be interested in these

Indeed they are Bob's "Holy Grail" tubes(HG). Much better is a relative term, however as Bob will testify they are becoming very hard to find, and are his "Top" rated tube, above the 74s and Teles. He rarely has these for sale.  These are the single wire post getter Reflektor tubes(SWPG). He also sells the "Rocket" brand 6N23P's. Are your 74s Reflektors or Rockets? The Rockets are fine tubes but Bob rates them slightly below the Reflektors. You will always be able to buy some Teles, the 75SWPG Reflektors are rarely available and a bargain for the price I am asking. PM me.  

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #3,936 of 23,493
  Indeed they are Bob's "Holy Grail" tubes(HG). Much better is a relative term, however as Bob will testify they are becoming very hard to find, and are his "Top" rated tube, above the 74s and Teles. He rarely has these for sale.  These are the single wire post getter Reflektor tubes(SWPG). He also sells the "Rocket" brand 6N23P's. Are your 74s Reflektors or Rockets? The Rockets are fine tubes but Bob rates them slightly below the Reflektors. You will always be able to buy some Teles, the 75SWPG Reflektors are rarely available and a bargain for the price I am asking. PM me.  

Yeah he didn't allow me to buy his spare pair of 75's when I bought the 74's but hopefully I can snatch them off you. Mine were the Reflektors. I dont know much in the russian tube world but I do hear the Reflektors are better than the Rockets although I dont know for sure as the 74's are the only russian tubes I've listened to. PM'd.

Nov 16, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #3,937 of 23,493
Hey guys, I want to ask your opinion on something real quick. Is it safe to ship tubes in the winter? My tubes are getting old and I need to order a new pair and it's getting cold out now (10[COLOR=252525]°[/COLOR]F) What kind of effect do you think this will have on shipping? Being cold and brittle, potentially tossed around, sounds like a recipe for disaster. Let me know what you think please.

Free Crygoneic freezing ... who's complaining?

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #3,938 of 23,493
Indeed they are Bob's "Holy Grail" tubes(HG). Much better i a relative term, however as Bob will testify they are becoming very hard to find, and are his "Top" rated tube, above the 74s and Teles. He rarely has these for sale.  These are the single wire post getter Reflektor tubes(SWPG). He also sells the "Rocket" brand 6N23P's. Are your 74s Reflektors or Rockets? The Rockets are fine tubes but Bob rates them slightly below the Reflektors. You will always be able to buy some Teles, the 75SWPG Reflektors are rarely available and a bargain for the price I am asking. PM me.  
These are my #1 rated 6n23p. The Reflektor '75 Silver Shield Single Wire Getter Post. They are very, very hard to find that are matched and tested. But be wary, there are the much more common Reflektors with the dual dimpled plate getter posts. These are just average in sound. The getter post are the either curved wire or plates that hold the inverted saucer getter disc. Very easy to see. These HGs are truly exceptional tubes, right there with the very best of the 6922's. They're characterized with a smooth, neutral, detailed presentation.

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #3,939 of 23,493
I remember a discussion about this a while back but can't find the post. Plus there did not seem to be a consensus about what it meant. I have some Dario Miniwatts, E188CC's, codes: VR5-delta2E3 AND VR5-delta2R1, ON TOP of the tubes in a circle is 22L three times. What does the circle of 3- 22L mean? Gibosi?, Oskari? Thanks satwilson

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #3,940 of 23,493
  I remember a discussion about this a while back but can't find the post. Plus there did not seem to be a consensus about what it meant. I have some Dario Miniwatts, E188CC's, codes: VR5-delta2E3 AND VR5-delta2R1, ON TOP of the tubes in a circle is 22L three times. What does the circle of 3- 22L mean? Gibosi?, Oskari? Thanks satwilson

http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/3585#post_10975946

So the L would be the 12th year after 1950, or 1962, the 22nd week.

Edit: Also, "VR5-delta2R1" is very likely wrong. As there are only 12 months, only the letters A through L were used to indicate the month. The "R" you are seeing is more likely a "B" or an "E". My guess is it is probably "E = May" as the 22nd week of 1962 was May 27 - June 2, if I am reading the calendar correctly.

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #3,941 of 23,493
Today I dipped my toe into the world of tube rolling.  On ebay I bought a pair of Russian military 6N1P - EV for $5.00 and a pair of 1977 Voskhod 6N23P grey base for $30.00.  My current  setup is PC>foobar2k>Fiio E17/E09K combo pre-out>Lyr>Senn HD700.

Knowing very little about tubes and these being sound unheard, How did I do?

And this may be a silly question.   What do you store your tubes in?

Thanks.

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #3,942 of 23,493

http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/3585#post_10975946

So the L would be the 12th year after 1950, or 1962, the 22nd week.

Edit: Also, "VR5-delta2R1" is very likely wrong. As there are only 12 months, only the letters A through L were used to indicate the month. The "R" you are seeing is more likely a "B" or an "E". My guess is it is probably "E = May" as the 22nd week of 1962 was May 27 - June 2, if I am reading the calendar correctly.

Thanks, the VR5 came from conjecture from the seller in the Ebay ad. I closely inspected the tubes this AM and cannot see anything except the deltaxxx symbols. 
Here is another item I am trying to ID, bought em on Ebay. The ad says England as country of manufacture. I have researched PCC88's and Mullard is listed as one possibility.
NOS VINTAGE MATCHED PAIR PHILIPS MINIWATT PCC88 TUBES "O" GETTER CODE D35 TESTED
( 371188801734 )

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #3,943 of 23,493
"Today I dipped my toe into the world of tube rolling. On ebay I bought a pair of Russian military 6N1P - EV for $5.00 and a pair of 1977 Voskhod 6N23P grey base for $30.00. My current setup is PC>foobar2k>Fiio E17/E09K combo pre-out>Lyr>Senn HD700.

And this may be a silly question. What do you store your tubes in?

Thanks."

These are some popular tubes. I bought a pair of Vokshod 73' grey shield Rockets (my first rolled tubes) and found that it was not a sound signature I enjoyed with my he500s. My pair have this emphasis in the upper mids / lower treble that while adding a sense of detail, just sounds unnatural and fatiguing to me (reminds me of listening to k701s). Keep in mind that the majority here at head-fi will disagree with that and it might be headphone dependent. My Lyr came with a pair of 6n1p-ev's and I actually enjoyed those more. They have better extension on both ends and didn't have any noticeable emphasis in the upper mids. Maybe not as tight but are much more dynamic. I just picked up a pair of Amperex 6922 PQ USAs and I can immediately tell I am going to enjoy those more then either of the Russian tubes I have. That said you can't go wrong for what you paid, just keep an open mind to other options as there is a lot of preference involved.

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #3,944 of 23,493
  Today I dipped my toe into the world of tube rolling.  On ebay I bought a pair of Russian military 6N1P - EV for $5.00 and a pair of 1977 Voskhod 6N23P grey base for $30.00.  My current  setup is PC>foobar2k>Fiio E17/E09K combo pre-out>Lyr>Senn HD700.

And this may be a silly question.   What do you store your tubes in?

Thanks.

I think as long as you're not using a Lyr 2, you're good to go with the 6N1Ps.  Not the best sounding tubes in the world, but for $30... Oh, missed the 6N23Ps in your post.  Yes, for $35, that's not bad, as long as the tubes are OK.  You'll probably find the 6N23Ps superior, but let us know.

I store mine in three homemade boxes.  Had to whip up a third yesterday.  Used a random cardboard box, some seat cushion foam, and a few knives.  No awards for looks, but the tubes are well-cushioned.

Nov 18, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #3,945 of 23,493
  Thanks, the VR5 came from conjecture from the seller in the Ebay ad. I closely inspected the tubes this AM and cannot see anything except the deltaxxx symbols. 
Here is another item I am trying to ID, bought em on Ebay. The ad says England as country of manufacture. I have researched PCC88's and Mullard is listed as one possibility.
NOS VINTAGE MATCHED PAIR PHILIPS MINIWATT PCC88 TUBES "O" GETTER CODE D35 TESTED
( 371188801734 )

Unfortunately, the picture is too poor to make out the production code, so you will have to wait until they arrive and you can examine them up close. However, the ad says the code is "D35"  So "D" might equal Hamburg, "3" might equal 1963, and the "5" might actually a letter, A - L, perhaps "G" for the month? 

On the other hand, since the type code for PCC88 = "DJ", perhaps the "J" is smeared and it looks like a "3"?  And the "5" could be the change code? But still, my guess is Hamburg, 1963. When you get them, see if you can make out both lines of the production code and let us know what you see.

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back