Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Oct 27, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #3,751 of 23,494
I'd guess those CBS tubes are from 1969.  I'd expect a 'D' getter on tubes from 1959, but wiser heads may correct me.

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #3,752 of 23,494

I'll add a fourth, which I mentioned earlier and linked to a Wikipedia article that explains it.  A 60 Hz ground loop hum.  Mine has decreased in intensity as I've burned in the tubes, but with no music playing it's still audible.

I've never encountered that issue.  Maybe it's the power chord I use - Synergistic Research X2 active shielding?  Have you tried a cheater plug to lift the ground?

Also - highly recommended  - one of these inexpensive polarity testers.  Just to be sure your wall socket is wired correctly.  They're like $10

I also use these high grade wall sockets - Synergistic Research Tesla Plex SE Receptacle

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #3,753 of 23,494

Oh :frowning2: It's not like that from us. We're on same boat as you.

Btw, it's christmas here :) Tubes arrived finally.

PCC88 Tungsram (7DJ8, ~ECC88)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111458125541?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

NOS 6N23P (E88CC 6DJ8) Voskhod "rocket"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111457649714?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

NOS E188CC CV5354 7308 Siemens Halske 1960´s gold pins

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-NOS-E188CC-CV5354-7308-Siemens-Halske-1960-s-gold-pins-/251673026891?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=sMBH4U6Tp4AL0KuqQ0f3oEW91fc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

So I put E188CC's in 10 mins ago and I'am very excited to give them a listen. Expectations are high :)

Tubes galore!  Nice

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #3,755 of 23,494
  I've never encountered that issue.  Maybe it's the power chord I use - Synergistic Research X2 active shielding?  Have you tried a cheater plug to lift the ground?

Also - highly recommended  - one of these inexpensive polarity testers.  Just to be sure your wall socket is wired correctly.  They're like $10

I also use these high grade wall sockets - Synergistic Research Tesla Plex SE Receptacle

This is the only pair I've heard it on, but the Wiki article on Mains Ground Loop Hum (posted earlier) has a small section about tubes specifically.  Maybe you've just not had a pair that fits the criteria.  Lucky 
tongue.gif
  These are hardly my favorite tubes, but I'm going to let 'em burn for a few more days, as I'm busy and hardly have time to sit and listen to music.  Good timing.

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #3,756 of 23,494
This is the only pair I've heard it on, but the Wiki article on Mains Ground Loop Hum (posted earlier) has a small section about tubes specifically.  Maybe you've just never had a pair that fits the criteria.  Lucky :p   These are hardly my favorite tubes, but I'm going to let 'em burn for a few more days, as I'm busy and hardly have time to sit and listen to music.  Good timing.
I've had bad ground loop problems in the past. With a Conrad Johnson Phono pre (also used 6dj8's). But cart/arm/phono setups are notorius for glh's. Actually Iput in a dedicated 20 amp line, with seperate ground (4ft copper rod sunk in the earth). No more issues after that.

My Lyr has been dead quiet. I mean I can hear a bit of a faint buzz at full vol, but that's 4x greater vol then I listen to.

Hope I never run across any tubes that do. How's the Sencor working for you? Is it up and running?

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #3,757 of 23,494
I've had bad ground loop problems in the past. With a Conrad Johnson Phono pre (also used 6dj8's). But cart/arm/phono setups are notorius for glh's. Actually Iput in a dedicated 20 amp line, with seperate ground (4ft copper rod sunk in the earth). No more issues after that.

My Lyr has been dead quiet. I mean I can hear a bit of a faint buzz at full vol, but that's 4x greater vol then I listen to.

Hope I never run across any tubes that do. How's the Sencor working for you? Is it up and running?

I've not had hum problems at all before these tubes.  Disappears with others.

Funny you mention phono setups.  I just got a Mani from Schiit so I could move my dust-gathering turntable upstairs.  Now I'm getting intermittent - but often enough - static-y electrical pops and crackling.  Moved it back downstairs to rule out the Mani and turntable, and the setup played fine.  The only suspect I have left are a couple of WiFi adapters in PCs in that room.  The WiFi router is in the same downstairs room where the turntable used to be, and it didn't affect it in my troubleshooting today.  I'm really hoping it's the WiFi, as I can disable those devices when I want to listen to vinyl.  It's definitely not a GLH problem.

Any thoughts on that?

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #3,759 of 23,494
  How much should I be paying for a matched pair of Amperex orange globes?  I see so many price variations everywhere I look.

I got mine from mercedesman (Tube Hunter) on eBay.  I think he sells for $70 - $80, when he has them (did the other day).

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #3,761 of 23,494
  But looks like he is out of them at the moment - apart from a "gold pin" version for about $130 or so ... :frowning2:

Bummer.  He does a brisk trade, that's for sure.  Best to keep a watchful eye on his store.  I'll bet he has another pair or two in the next week or so.  "Gold pins" are probably 6922s from the US, or E88CCs from Heerlen.  He's got quite a few of those from various years.

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #3,763 of 23,494
  Yep - the OP may even want to send Mercedesman a PM to see if he has a few he hasn't listed yet - couldn't hurt ... :wink:

That's an excellent idea.  I was buying a pair from him, but had messaged him, and he suggested a pair of 1961 Bugle Boy Straight Man he hadn't listed.  I took him up on it.  Nice tubes.

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #3,764 of 23,494

I'd guess those CBS tubes are from 1969.  I'd expect a 'D' getter on tubes from 1959, but wiser heads may correct me.

They would seem to have 61-17 CBS dates.

What's the full Siemens code?

Full Siemens code looks to be... first line: GA 0 & second line: vertical line thru = sign 9 L

iPhone pic is the closest I can get.

Thanks, Robert

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #3,765 of 23,494
Just wanted to do small update,

as far as my tubes goes, I guess I won't even try anything else.

Yesterday I rolled in NOS E188CC CV5354 7308 Siemens Halske 1960´s gold pins  , let them in "burning" for about 2 hours. I know I'am supposed to wait for 20 - 100h before doing "critical" listening, but I did it right away :D (So maybe it will get even better in future)

I just laid down on bed, turned lights off and listened for about 5-6 hours with small breaks. I was going from 6N1P Voskhod Rockets 1981's and there is "Hell lot of difference" it's no subtle change. I was hoping to hit a jackpot with one pair of "expensive" tubes and I believe I did. Money well spend in my opinion. It feels like completely different amp.

Some changes were very apparent immediately, soundstage got huge, sound become very "3d/holographic/immersive" and treble harshness was gone even at loud levels. Everything kind of smoothed out, feels likes uncomfortable peaks I heard in some recordings are just gone. Other changes I'am noticing so far are : better resolution, transparency and even more "refined/controlled" bass. 

These tubes are trully superb from my experience. Hope they will last me long.

Now basically every piece of music I listen to sounds very immersive, dynamic and enjoyable so I'am done for now :wink: Found what I was looking for.

Btw, I was thinking what to do about Lyr high temperature, which probably isn't ideal for longevity of Lyr/tubes and got little solution ->

Seems it helped a lot, Lyr is now much cooler by touch.

edit: Oh and microphonics, floor noise , what is that ? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back