Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 7, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #2,626 of 23,494

Philps Holland, Mullard Holland and GB?. The Mullards can often be got very cheaply here in the UK as the world obsesses for  the same tube with an Amperex logo on! (often think well under £10). If you forgo the Mullard logo you can get even cheaper and there are many examples you can buy from just the Philips family (read the people who owned Amperex)! Siemens E88CC / 6922 are a great more expensive tube many like, yet the majority of RCA 6922 I have ever seen have been made in Germany :wink: and they are often much cheaper. There are loads of savings to be had for those who look. ECC88, E88CC, 6N23 etc all where made in huge quantities and many examples of great quaity tubes arewith  cheap prices still, without having to pay the premium for the current flavour of the month (which ebs and flows). The best bargains are to be had in the ECC88s / 6DJ8s. To quote this old but well read web site:

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

Some of the best sounding tubes in this family are 6DJ8s and some of the worst are 6922s & 7308s. So take each tube on it’s own individual merits rather than judging it by its model number or pin material (gold pins do not necessarily = better sound).

There are loads of tubes out there but just because a tube say Mullard ECC88 does not mean there is only one type, often there are many, just like all the Russian variants talked about here recently. There is a tendancy here to call a tube a 'U52' or a 'Brimar 6SN7GT' when the reality is these are families of tubes often with diverse constructions over many years of manufacure often poorly labelled and maybe not even from the listed country!!.

Thanks for the info.  

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #2,627 of 23,494
Looking for some positive reinforcement, please. Being new to tubes, I took my first plunge into the waters today and ordered a pair of '74 Voskhod Gray Shields for my Lyr2 / HE560 setup. Anyone have any firsthand experience, and if so, tell me I won't be disappointed?  :)

Thanks.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2,628 of 23,494
  Looking for some positive reinforcement, please. Being new to tubes, I took my first plunge into the waters today and ordered a pair of '74 Voskhod Gray Shields for my Lyr2 / HE560 setup. Anyone have any firsthand experience, and if so, tell me I won't be disappointed?  :)

Thanks.

I have a couple pairs from a "dubious" source (at least Rob would say so :wink: but I like 'em a lot.  They were dirt cheap, and for the price they don't disappoint.  Did you get yours from a Russian/Ukranian/Bulgarian/etc. eBay seller, from Rob, or somewhere else?  Might not matter, just curious.  I certainly hope they're in good shape.  If so, I think you'll like them.  Just don't forget not to judge your tubes before at least 50 hours of burn-in.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #2,629 of 23,494

Thanks.

I got them from rb2013 and they are awesome. Much better than my orange globes, at least for what I am looking for (soundstaging, details, bass). Did you get them from him too?

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #2,630 of 23,494

I have a couple pairs from a "dubious" source (at least Rob would say so :wink: but I like 'em a lot.  They were dirt cheap, and for the price they don't disappoint.  Did you get yours from a Russian/Ukranian/Bulgarian/etc. eBay seller, from Rob, or somewhere else?  Might not matter, just curious.  I certainly hope they're in good shape.  If so, I think you'll like them.  Just don't forget not to judge your tubes before at least 50 hours of burn-in.

I got them from Rb2013. Looking back through this thread, they were going fairly cheap ($49) a while back, but the price has gone up, I assume because they're getting harder to find.

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #2,631 of 23,494
I hope this isn't a stupid question (again, newbie here), but do they still need a 50 hr burn-in if they were previously used?

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #2,632 of 23,494
  I hope this isn't a stupid question (again, newbie here), but do they still need a 50 hr burn-in if they were previously used?

First, Tubes from RB2013 are tested and matched, more expensive than buying from overseas, and always a great tube for a reasonable price. I have bought some from overseas and some were great, others not so. The 75Reflektors,HG's he occasionally has for sale, are the best tubes I have, better than my Platinum Telefunken from Upscale which test at CCA specs. His $50 tubes are 90% of the HG's. Yes you need to burn in used tubes to settle them in after shipping. HiFlyMan, great choice, I have planer cans like yours and really like the detail, bass, great soundstage the Russian tubes offer, enjoy the music!!

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #2,633 of 23,494

Since you got them from Rob, they are well-tested and will be fine.  As to burn-in, since one never knows how used any tubes are when you first get them, I like to err on the side of my rule of thumb.  They certainly aren't going to sound worse after 50-100 hours, and if they do, you got some bad tubes.  But again, nothing to fear, as they came from the Russian Tube God 
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #2,634 of 23,494
I finally decided to jump on the Schiit band wagon, so far y Lyr sounds extremely wonderful with Mullard 6DJ8 goldpins, i also got a pair of 1960 Tesla coming in. Also combine Schiit Lyr with PF Musical Fidelity Xcan v2 is heaven, i'm using the Lyr as a preamp for my modded Xcan and the sound through them has MUCH better sound stage AND ABSOLUTELY sweet mid. So far i'm ready to sell my Antique Sound Lab otl 32.

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #2,635 of 23,494

Thanks.

Great start!!  in my opinion ANY of 70's rocket is great tubes....I do stacking 70's rocket.  

Especially, Lyr and hifi man is great pair to my ears.

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #2,636 of 23,494
Hello everyone.

I have a confusion between gray and silver shield...Recently, my Siemens is dead, so I'm trying replace the tube.  
Today I receive the tube but It turn out, it has silver shield.  My Siemens had Gray.
So my question is that can I use this tubes together in my Lyr?  Gray and Silver shield?
Is it going to Explode like Nuclear warhead?

Thanks for your time and for this noob question.

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #2,637 of 23,494
  Hello everyone.

I have a confusion between gray and silver shield...Recently, my Siemens is dead, so I'm trying replace the tube.  
Today I receive the tube but It turn out, it has silver shield.  My Siemens had Gray.
So my question is that can I use this tubes together in my Lyr?  Gray and Silver shield?
Is it going to Explode like Nuclear warhead?

Thanks for your time and for this noob question.

I think we need more info about what you got.  ECC88, E88CC, a link to where you got it, etc.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #2,638 of 23,494
Can anyone tell me anything about these? "6N23P VOSKHOD- EXACT 1973 XII DATES! SINGLE WIRE POST Pr 6922"  I kind of picked them up on a whim.  I'm hoping they are a step up from the 6n1P-ev that came with my Lyr (not that I have anything bad to say about those).

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #2,639 of 23,494
  Can anyone tell me anything about these? "6N23P VOSKHOD- EXACT 1973 XII DATES! SINGLE WIRE POST Pr 6922"  I kind of picked them up on a whim.  I'm hoping they are a step up from the 6n1P-ev that came with my Lyr (not that I have anything bad to say about those).

Rob probably could, but he's vacated the premises.  He posted a detailed review of Russian tubes, and has referenced it several times.  Probably the fastest way is to search for his posts in this thread.  rb2013 is his nick.

FWIW, I've got 1974's like that, and he spoke highly of them (in general; he was a little dubious of the source).  They sound good to me.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #2,640 of 23,494

I think we need more info about what you got.  ECC88, E88CC, a link to where you got it, etc.

Yes, Siemens CCa 60's Gray plate, I got it from ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261427710778?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here, I want to replace the one of the tube from the above.  (one of the tube die)
New tube just got....but it's silver plate shield.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291202551223?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

These tubes are CCa, year around 60 made from Germany.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back