Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 27, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #2,536 of 23,494
  I've had my Lyr for about 4 months and have been mostly happy, but I'm really getting tired of the high pitched whining noise (that is not volume related, I can hear it at zero volume).  Is it the stock factory tubes or do I need to consider that the unit might have a problem?  I haven't really had a major issue with the hum (can mostly control with decent source level), but yeah, this whining is just ruining things for me.

I've just noticed  today that there was lyr 2 released mere months after my purchase that seems to at least combat noise.  If I have to, I may consider selling this one and getting a 2.

Worth it?

I experienced something similar (maybe the same) just the other day.  First time I'd ever heard it, so it was a bit disconcerting.  It was definitely present with the volume at zero.  Turned out to be the tubes, or improper insertion, and it went away when I re-seated them (didn't fully extract; I think I just gently pushed them down).  I use Tubemonger socket savers, but they definitely aren't the cause.  Rolled the Telefunken E88CCs in shortly after, and haven't heard the whine again.  I'm still not sure if it's the tubes, or just poor contact.  So, you could try that, and if you have a different pair, you could try rolling those and see what happens.

Good luck.

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #2,537 of 23,494
I believe the whine (both ears, I think) is at the start, goes away - but I seem to recall it coming back during periods - though.  I have put it on a surge protected board and I'll try that for the moment (I'll also try it elsewhere than here, at work - see if it is different there).

Mark - can you elaborate on the worth of me upgrading?  less noise?

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #2,538 of 23,494

I experienced something similar (maybe the same) just the other day.  First time I'd ever heard it, so it was a bit disconcerting.  It was definitely present with the volume at zero.  Turned out to be the tubes, or improper insertion, and it went away when I re-seated them (didn't fully extract; I think I just gently pushed them down).  I use Tubemonger socket savers, but they definitely aren't the cause.  Rolled the Telefunken E88CCs in shortly after, and haven't heard the whine again.  I'm still not sure if it's the tubes, or just poor contact.  So, you could try that, and if you have a different pair, you could try rolling those and see what happens.

Good luck.

We must have simultaneously posted - thanks for this information, I have reseated my tubes and I'll see how that goes.

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #2,540 of 23,494
  Will a pair of NOS Telefunken PCC189 work with my LYR? I misread ECC88 as E88CC, can anyone explain the difference?

The PCC189 was deliberately designed to be non-linear. So while it should "work" in the Lyr, it may not sound very good. The PCC188 (7DJ8 is the American name) is the linear version of this tube, and it is recommended for use in the Lyr.

In the Philips naming system, ECC88 (6DJ8 is the American name) is the standard tube you would have found in your TV in the 1960's. Philips also made premium versions of this tube, E88CC (6922, American) and E188CC (7308, American), which were typically used in industrial applications, think Hewlett Packard, Tektronix, IBM. Since the ECC88, E88CC and E188CC are almost identical, except for improved linearity, low noise and reduced mircrophonics, in most cases they are interchangeable, and you can use any of these in your Lyr.

A couple of good reads by Brent Jessee and Joe S 

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #2,541 of 23,494

The PCC189 was deliberately designed to be non-linear. So while it should "work" in the Lyr, it may not sound very good. The PCC188 (7DJ8 is the American name) is the linear version of this tube, and it is recommended for use in the Lyr.

In the Philips naming system, ECC88 (6DJ8 is the American name) is the standard tube you would have found in your TV in the 1960's. Philips also made premium versions of this tube, E88CC (6922, American) and E188CC (7308, American), which were typically used in industrial applications, think Hewlett Packard, Tektronix, IBM. Since the ECC88, E88CC and E188CC are almost identical, except for improved linearity, low noise and reduced mircrophonics, in most cases they are interchangeable, and you can use any of these in your Lyr.

A couple of good reads by Brent Jessee and Joe S 

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

Thanks! Appreciate the reply. Crap I bought the wrong tubes apparently. Such a newb to tube rolling. So the PCC189 will suck in my LYR?

I found this quote earlier in the thread:

QUOTE: [I had some luck with Telefunken pcc189s, tubes in this series may be hit or miss but they do work and Jason didn't think there would be any problems or damage to the amp from them. Those Telefunken pcc189 tubes were one of the best sounding tubes in the Lyr I'd ever heard, better than anything else I had including JAN-CEP 6922s.] END QUOTE.

Any other opinions? 

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #2,542 of 23,494
  Thanks! Appreciate the reply. Crap I bought the wrong tubes apparently. Such a newb to tube rolling. So the PCC189 will suck in my LYR?

I found this quote earlier in the thread:

QUOTE: [I had some luck with Telefunken pcc189s, tubes in this series may be hit or miss but they do work and Jason didn't think there would be any problems or damage to the amp from them. Those Telefunken pcc189 tubes were one of the best sounding tubes in the Lyr I'd ever heard, better than anything else I had including JAN-CEP 6922s.] END QUOTE.

Any other opinions? 

I have never heard these tubes, so I have no idea.... As they are non-linear, I would not expect them to sound good, but apparently, at least one person thinks they are the best he's ever heard. Go figure... lol Since you have a pair coming, let us know what you think.

Cheers

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #2,544 of 23,494
An interesting discussion of the PCC189 around this page of the old thread:

www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/6270

I'll be very curious to hear your opinion of them, @gradofan1, esp. compared to... whatever other tubes you have on hand.  Hope they work out 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #2,545 of 23,494
We must have simultaneously posted - thanks for this information, I have reseated my tubes and I'll see how that goes.

Have you experienced that "hum" again?  Just curious.

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #2,546 of 23,494
  An interesting discussion of the PCC189 around this page of the old thread:

www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/6270

I'll be very curious to hear your opinion of them, @gradofan1, esp. compared to... whatever other tubes you have on hand.  Hope they work out 
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately with all the negative feedback with the PCC189, I cancelled the order (it was pretty cheap too, but why waste $80?)/.. so I can't review against my Cryo'd Electroharmonix and GE Stock and Gold Vintage Tesla 6922, which are all cheap tubes in the first place, none of which I've gotten yet but will get soon. Might order a Siemens vintage NOS or other later. I might not even invest in more tube rolling since my Uberfrost/LYR are up for an IC anyways, but I've always been interested in tube rolling...

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #2,547 of 23,494
  I've had my Lyr for about 4 months and have been mostly happy, but I'm really getting tired of the high pitched whining noise (that is not volume related, I can hear it at zero volume).  Is it the stock factory tubes or do I need to consider that the unit might have a problem?  I haven't really had a major issue with the hum (can mostly control with decent source level), but yeah, this whining is just ruining things for me.

I've just noticed  today that there was lyr 2 released mere months after my purchase that seems to at least combat noise.  If I have to, I may consider selling this one and getting a 2.

Worth it?

Which DAC are you using? If using Bifrost w/ USB, which version of the USB?

I ran into this random high pitched whining sound when i was using 1st Gen USB card on Bifrost. Issue went away after i upgraded to Gen 2 USB.

ckc

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #2,548 of 23,494
So I got the RIGHT Telefunken Tubes this time from a local dealer (E88CC, 6922, NOS) -- Pretty expensive at that too for tubes, but matched. Is it a problem that I can't hear the difference between the Telefunken 6922 and the stock GE? Using a 2014 LCD-2.2 Fazor.. Getting in some cheaper tubes soon also...

Don't get me wrong -- it sounds awesome, but I don't think it's worth $250?

Jul 29, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #2,549 of 23,494

Which DAC are you using? If using Bifrost w/ USB, which version of the USB?

I ran into this random high pitched whining sound when i was using 1st Gen USB card on Bifrost. Issue went away after i upgraded to Gen 2 USB.

ckc

Hi, thanks for replying - the sound I'm referring to isn't really a "whining" per se, it's a very high frequency sound - I'm trying to think of phrasing that really captures it - it is so high that it couldn't possibly have a timbre.  It's as if there is someone with a dog whistle in my ear.

I believe it is only in one of the channels, though - pretty sure this is the case, upon investigation.

Completely independent of volume, though.

maudio 2626 firewire interface -> Lyr

I do not believe it is related to that, though - as the noise tends to go away after a while of being on.

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #2,550 of 23,494
Does anyone know the performance difference between a Telefunken E88CC/6922 NOS sold from upscale audio and the new Telefunken black diamond E88CC/6922 TK sold on Telefunken's website?  The price difference is about $60 and the I'm not sure which one to buy.  I already have rolled Amperex 7308 gold pin and Matsu****a National PCC88 for my Lyr2 w HE500 which both have been much better than the stock tubes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back