Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 12, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #2,296 of 23,494
  Ive been looking into desktop speakers (active) and was looking into using the Lyr as a preamp. If anyone was wondering, the Lyr does indeed feed power through the tubes in its preamp function. Just an FYI, I thought it was interesting. Really a great piece of equipment the Lyr is.    

Yeah, since I got my Lyr and Bifrost have been checking out other options besides my computer for input,  and output to my house system. Brought out an older Denon DCD-1015 CD player, output via digital spdif coax to the Bifrost/Lyr to play CD's, It sounds great, certainly as good as my EAC rips on my computer via USB to the Bifrost. My house system is all balanced out of my B&K preamp, DBX DriveRack Processor to various amps, speakers, and subs, so this is more problematic. I guess I could run a digital spdif out of my Sony NC555ES player/ Bifrost/Lyr/ pre-outs to my B&K Pre. Not sure if this will give me "tube" goodness. Or I could forget my subs and run SE. RB2013 if you have any comments please chime in. Would love to get some "tube" sound into my house system. Sorry, slightly off topic, tubes.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #2,297 of 23,494
Exactly. Besides, Copper and knowledgeable a higher conductivity then gold anyway due to them having a more loosely held valence electron in their outer shell. Silver being the most conductive and copper being the most cost effective. Golds main purpose and why its plated on many electronics is its corrosive resistance.
Exactly. Even a gold alloy would be soft and expensive for the whole pin. The fellow at Upscale is not very knowledgeable, it sounds like he's making it up in substitute for real knowledge. Like the statement a 20%, or even 40% section difference is not important to sound quality.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #2,298 of 23,494
Yeah, since I got my Lyr and Bifrost have been checking out other options besides my computer for input,  and output to my house system. Brought out an older Denon DCD-1015 CD player, output via digital spdif coax to the Bifrost/Lyr to play CD's, It sounds great, certainly as good as my EAC rips on my computer via USB to the Bifrost. My house system is all balanced out of my B&K preamp, DBX DriveRack Processor to various amps, speakers, and subs, so this is more problematic. I guess I could run a digital spdif out of my Sony NC555ES player/ Bifrost/Lyr/ pre-outs to my B&K Pre. Not sure if this will give me "tube" goodness. Or I could forget my subs and run SE. RB2013 if you have any comments please chime in. Would love to get some "tube" sound into my house system. Sorry, slightly off topic, tubes.
That's worth a try, the Lyr would act like a tube 'buffer', in essence adding tube euphonics into the mix. Diehard purist audiophiles would cring...but being a tube guy I don't have a problem with it. The way the ear/mind interprets sound is very interesting. All reproduced music has a whole host of distortions, the ear seems to like 2nd order (tube), and cringes at 3rd order ( solid state). It all relates to sound/harmonic interplay. Like the ability for the ear/mind system to recreate in quaila the sensation of a 3d sound field from just two stereo signals. The brain scientists are at a loss to explain how this can be possible. The very slight signal differentials measured in the time domain are so short, it's not thought possible for the brain to preceive them, yet we do. Boy we do! To an amazingly refined degree!

http://www.theaudioarchive.com/TAA_Resources_Tubes_versus_Solid_State.htm

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #2,299 of 23,494
Saw this ad on ebay for the Telefunken E88CC from upscale - you can really stock up! It looks like you pay $3 more per tube when you buy them 100 at a time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telefunken-E88CC-6922-Cca-SEALED-SINCE-1966-MASTER-PACK-SOLD-one-more-avail-/291150782945?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43c9f061e1

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #2,300 of 23,494
Saw this ad on ebay for the Telefunken E88CC from upscale - you can really stock up! It looks like you pay $3 more per tube when you buy them 100 at a time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Telefunken-E88CC-6922-Cca-SEALED-SINCE-1966-MASTER-PACK-SOLD-one-more-avail-/291150782945?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43c9f061e1

There was a lot of talk about these tubes in the old thread. I am a Telefunken junkie and I bought a pair of them out of curiosity and they had unusual green labels and bent pins (on the left in the first pic):

The stories I heard about these tubes (U2108604f and U3218104) were worthy of a cloak and dagger screenplay, I seriously considered writing a short story on the tube biz for a while. 

One of the reasons I gave up my Lyr and have not been running tubes for a while was that it was nearly impossible to find genuine NOS tubes of the better brands. A couple of my best tubes blew out in the same month and I just couldn't bear to put the effort again into finding replacements for them. They are by any measure of the word extinct. 

If I could be certain 100% that these tubes were the real deal I would buy a box as an investment without thinking twice about it. Despite their condition they did sound quite good though.

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #2,301 of 23,494
There was a lot of talk about these tubes in the old thread. I am a Telefunken junkie and I bought a pair of them out of curiosity and they had unusual green labels and bent pins (on the left in the first pin)

The stories I heard about these tubes (U2108604f and U3218104) were worthy of a cloak and dagger screenplay, I seriously considered writing a short story on the tube biz for a while. 

One of the reasons I gave up my Lyr and have not been running tubes for a while was that it was nearly impossible to find genuine NOS tubes of the better brands. A couple of my best tubes blew out in the same month and I just couldn't bear to put the effort again into finding replacements for them. They are by any measure of the word extinct. 

If I could be certain 100% that these tubes were the real deal I would buy a box as an investment without thinking twice about it. Despite their condition they did sound quite good though.
Did you buy those E88CCs from upscale as NIB?

I've had a beautiful pr of Siemens CCa's burn out on me years ago. And a Philps Miniwatt. I feel your pain. Back then the CCa's could be bought for $200 a pr - now they're $400+. So I had read about these Voskhod Rocket 6n23p's on AA, so I tried to find them, they were impossible to find. Until a guy from Fl listed some on Audiogon $35 for 1980s. I bought a pr. They were pretty good. I ran those 8 hours a day for three years, without issue. Then I bought the Lyr and came across this thread I began revisiting them. Discovering the Russian dealers on ebay, that began a long journey. Now as I look back, it was serendipity. As I discovered better and better 6n23p's, I got very interested and focused. The HG's have been transformational to my audio experience. And as of today I've never had a 6n23p burn out on me...running them 24/7 in my two audio amps. They seem quite durable, of course if they truly are NOS testing to start with.

PS Even the date printing seems much more durable on the Russians then the European brands. It seems they sort of etched it into the glass, where the Euros are kinda weakly painted on. I've never have come across a 6n23p I couldn't read - although some are faint they still can be read under a bright light. I have seen many 6922s, 12ax7's, 12au7's where the print is just gone.

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #2,302 of 23,494
Did you buy those E88CCs from upscale as NIB?

I've had a beautiful pr of Siemens CCa's burn out on me years ago. And a Philps Miniwatt. I feel your pain. Back then the CCa's could be bought for $200 a pr - now they're $400+. So I had read about these Voskhod Rocket 6n23p's on AA, so I tried to find them, they were impossible to find. Until a guy from Fl listed some on Audiogon $35 for 1980s. I bought a pr. They were pretty good. I ran those 8 hours a day for three years, without issue. Then I bought the Lyr and came across this thread I began revisiting them. Discovering the Russian dealers on ebay, that began a long journey. Now as I look back, it was serendipity. As I discovered better and better 6n23p's, I got very interested and focused. The HG's have been transformational to my audio experience. And as of today I've never had a 6n23p burn out on me...running them 24/7 in my two audio amps. They seem quite durable, of course if they truly are NOS testing to start with.

Yes they were platinum grade from Upscale. I had read PinkLed's posts a few days back and thought I might chime in. I am certainly curious if he will be able to return them.

Last August in the space of a week I blew out one of my Siemens 1969 E188CC and then one of my 1967 Siemens 6DJ8. The Lyr was so good with those E188CC that I pretty much figured I would never equal it again. The 6DJ8 were beyond rare Siemens with Telefunken labels and were fantastic sounding too:

Whenever I start getting nostalgic for the Lyr I get it out of the closet and fire it up. Last night I was listening with a pair of 1965 Siemens 6DJ8 and it was very good indeed, except for the microphonics and noise it was a match for the CMA800R I am using now. It was so good in fact I would keep it out if I could find space for it.

If I was going to look at tubes now I might be interested in the E188CC that Parts Connexion has: http://www.partsconnexion.com/78932.html . These always seem to sound good in the Lyr.

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #2,303 of 23,494
Those Siemens 188s are sweet -$400/pr is getting up there with the S&H CCa's.

I'm having fun with Amperex Pinched Waists - uber euphonic, but super fun on some recordings. Not for everyday listening but when I'm in a dark chocolate mood hits the spot.

One of the great things about the Lyr is scales well with the better tubes.

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #2,304 of 23,494

Yes they were platinum grade from Upscale. I had read PinkLed's posts a few days back and thought I might chime in. I am certainly curious if he will be able to return them.

Last August in the space of a week I blew out one of my Siemens 1969 E188CC and then one of my 1967 Siemens 6DJ8. The Lyr was so good with those E188CC that I pretty much figured I would never equal it again. The 6DJ8 were beyond rare Siemens with Telefunken labels and were fantastic sounding too:

Whenever I start getting nostalgic for the Lyr I get it out of the closet and fire it up. Last night I was listening with a pair of 1965 Siemens 6DJ8 and it was very good indeed, except for the microphonics and noise it was a match for the CMA800R I am using now. It was so good in fact I would keep it out if I could find space for it.

If I was going to look at tubes now I might be interested in the E188CC that Parts Connexion has: http://www.partsconnexion.com/78932.html . These always seem to sound good in the Lyr.

I am new to this tube thing but after trying out a few other options (Amperex, Mullard, IE/Siemens) totally fell in love with these Upscale Teles, got two pair now. Were the Plats you got from Upscale part of this huge stock he is now selling? FWIW, just before I bought mine I had bid on some Siemens made Tele labeled tubes on Ebay in France, lost the bid...Was not aware of the CMA800R until your mention and enjoyed checking out same. More about the "cloak and dagger" part would be interesting. Thanks for your input, satwilson

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #2,308 of 23,494
Does anyone know a good upgrade tube from the Siemens E88CC's? They are these holy grail tubes: http://www.tubemuseum.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SH_E88CC-1964

I am using a pair now and have a spare 1964 pair NOS in my closet and was thinking of selling/trading them if anyone were interested but I do not know the price as I were given them as a gift. I emailed Tube Museum about it and they said they are extremely rare tubes and according to Tube Museum, they are one of the best sounding 6922/E88CC/CCa's ever made. I cut and pasted this statement from the link above: NOS SIEMENS E88CC 6922 GRAY-SHIELD EARLY 1960 HOLY-GRAIL MATCHED PLATINUM LOW-NOISE PAIRS - RATED "BEST SOUNDING" # 1 6922 / E88CC / CCa EVER MADE

They sound amazing and are a HUGE improvement over my older Matsu****a 6922s and Amperex Orange Globes.

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #2,309 of 23,494
Does anyone know a good upgrade tube from the Siemens E88CC's? They are these holy grail tubes: http://www.tubemuseum.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SH_E88CC-1964

I am using a pair now and have a spare 1964 pair NOS in my closet and was thinking of selling/trading them if anyone were interested but I do not know the price as I were given them as a gift. I emailed Tube Museum about it and they said they are extremely rare tubes and according to Tube Museum, they are one of the best sounding 6922/E88CC/CCa's ever made. I cut and pasted this statement from the link above: NOS SIEMENS E88CC 6922 GRAY-SHIELD EARLY 1960 HOLY-GRAIL MATCHED PLATINUM LOW-NOISE PAIRS - RATED "BEST SOUNDING" # 1 6922 / E88CC / CCa EVER MADE

They sound amazing and are a HUGE improvement over my older Matsu****a 6922s and Amperex Orange Globes.
They are close but not quite the legendary Seimens early '60s Gray Shield CCa's. The S&H CCa's were a special version of the E88CC in that they were selected for lowest noise and very tight section matching. These did have several versions, with different getters. The more common versions go for $400 - $500 a pr. Now that's for tested tubes. Check ebay for the prices of untested tubes.

The Siemens E88CC is an awesome tube. In class above the OGs and Mats.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Siemens-Halske-CCa-E88CC-6922-Grey-Shield-HOLY-GRAIL-MATCHED-PAIR-TUBES-/231237009878?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item35d6ccc1d6

Jun 16, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #2,310 of 23,494
They are close but not quite the legendary Seimens early '60s Gray Shield CCa's. The S&H CCa's were a special version of the E88CC in that they were selected for lowest noise and very tight section matching. These did have several versions, with different getters. The more common versions go for $400 - $500 a pr. Now that's for tested tubes. Check ebay for the prices of untested tubes.

The Siemens E88CC is an awesome tube. In class above the OGs and Mats.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Siemens-Halske-CCa-E88CC-6922-Grey-Shield-HOLY-GRAIL-MATCHED-PAIR-TUBES-/231237009878?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item35d6ccc1d6

Price Was: 950$ 
basshead.gif
, Id say 600$ is a steal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back