Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 8, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #2,221 of 23,494
  Has anyone noticed the release of the Lyr 2? I'm most likely very late to the party.

Yeah i saw it last week or whenever it was, only bought my Lyr like 2 months ago so kinda bummed haha, doesn't really effect me much as I am using planars so don't really need low gain mode.

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #2,222 of 23,494
Late to the party but I see its still in full swing!

I recently bought a pair of HE-500's and then went about looking for an amp to match it, and Lyr kept coming up time and again.  I like tube stuff (my pre is the L300 from Puresound) and so that swung it so I ordered a Lyr 2 on Friday and expecting it to land in the UK some point Monday.

My plan is to run it in and burn the stock tubes for a week, let my ears get used to it and then look at tube rolling options - of which this thread is a great resource.  I've already worked out that the single wire Voskhod grails are now virtually unobtanium!  So looks like working back from more common Rockets and Relecktors.

I'll keep you posted with my impressions.

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #2,223 of 23,494
I just got the lyr2 a few days ago and it sounds great. The lyr 2 runs my ath-m500x's on low gain fantastically and on high gain, it runs my beyerdynamic dt 880's 600 ohm can phenomenally. Although I have not done any tube rolling yet.

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #2,224 of 23,494
You've got to love a company that keeps improving their Schiit!
I just got the lyr2 a few days ago and it sounds great. The lyr 2 runs my ath-m500x's on low gain fantastically and on high gain, it runs my beyerdynamic dt 880's 600 ohm can phenomenally. Although I have not done any tube rolling yet.

Congrats! A nice baby step into rolling would be 1980 Voskhod Rocket 6N23P. I've seen pairs going for as little as 15$. Great tubes for the price. 

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #2,225 of 23,494
Has anyone noticed the release of the Lyr 2? I'm most likely very late to the party.
They added a gain switch for IEMs and very low impedence HPs. Of course with the HD800s or Planars that's not needed, and it's just another switch in the signal path. They also cleaned up the power supply, with added filtering, that may smooth out the sound a bit. I use a Synergistic Research X2 power chord that helped the SQ.

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #2,227 of 23,494
I will post a short review so far and then do a another including the '75 Voskhod Gray Plate Posts and the '57 Amperex Holland 6dj8 Pinched Waists. All the ultimate super 6922 tubes!

Looking forward to it. I got a 1975 gray plate post today, actually it might be two of them (couldn't read the picture), along with another 77 and 73. How did those 73 sound? Kind of curious how the 1975 and single wire and plate ones differ too.

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #2,228 of 23,494
Looking forward to it. I got a 1975 gray plate post today, actually it might be two of them (couldn't read the picture), along with another 77 and 73. How did those 73 sound? Kind of curious how the 1975 and single wire and plate ones differ too.
Nice! Your collection is growing. The '73s are very smooth sounding, nice flow. I really love the SWGP 70s 6n23p sound - just effortless flow. The best ones like the HG add deep tuneful bass, greater detail, a more holographic sound stage. unfortuneatly, one of the '73 turned out to be microphonic.

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #2,229 of 23,494
Part 1.
Here is the mini review of the various top 6922 type tubes compatible for the Lyr. I only had single tubes of the of some of the really expensive ones so I used my tubed DAC - the Xindak DAC5 feeding into the Lyr (I'll list my exact system at the end, along with the tracks I used). I thought of going song by song and explaining the different tubes, but that would be way to long. I did switch the tubes on each track, sometimes returning to the HG multiple times - so each track was repeated 7 or 8 times. This way I could hear the tubes back to back on the same music - I took notes as I was listening.

The tubes (and abbreviations):

1975 Reflektor Single Wire Getter Post Silver Shields 6n23p I refer to as 'Holy Grails' - HG
1974 Reflektor Single Wire Getter Post Silver Shields 6n23p - 74
1966 Telefunken E88CC Gold Pins - Tele
1959 Amperex 6922 Pinched Waist D getter - PW
1959 Amperex Bugle Boy D Getter - BB
1960's Amperex Orange Shield PQ - PQ

So here was my ranking with comments:
#1 - 1975 Refektor SWGP Silver 'Holy Grail' 6n23p
This tube had the greatest level of detail and the most holographic presentation. The tube has such amazingly rich tone, but at the same time sounding natural (not the euphonically rich tone of the PW which was way over ripe at times). The bass was the very deep yet well defined. Treble extension was excellent, never etchy or harsh. Speaking of musicality on some of the difficult tracks like Florence and the Machine 'Dog Days Are Here', Welch's voice can be pitchy - never on this tube. But what really makes the HG stand apart is the massive soundstage - filled with a whole layer more detail. The singers and instruments projected into this cavernous space as 3D holographic images. Very realistic. I believe it's the greater ambient detail, the little side and back reflections that trick the ear/mind into recreating this amazing imaging. The HGs also have the greatest 'flow factor' just mezmorizing, the 74 has this as well, just in a slightly lesser amount. The other top characteristic is the HG's amazing dynamics, very exciting! The Tele is very good here as well...speaking of...

#2 - Tie Telefunken E88CC Gold Pin and the '74 Reflektor SWGP Silver 6n23p
I love the Tele, this version in particular. It's wonderful rich tone was a big surprise, as the other Teles I've heard were a bit dry. This tube has excellent detail and dynamics. It has to one of the best 6922s I've ever heard. The bass was deep and well defined - although the HG was deeper - the two tubes share a very similar tonal balance and sound. I often had to switch back and forth between each of the 6n23ps and the Tele as they were very similar. The Amperexs have a darker nature- the PW extremely dark. The differences between the Tele and the HG? On switching back and forth it became very apparent the HG had a much bigger soundstage - in comparison the Tele seemed a little closed in. The HG had more detail and a greater 'flow' factor. That said, the Tele was just a joy to listen to, without comparison to the HGs I could easily live with this tube forever

Next up in Part 2:
#2 Tie The '74 SWGP Reflektor Silver Shield 6n23p.

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #2,230 of 23,494
Well Fedex tracker seems to think they will deliver my Lyr in the next 1-2 hours.  Can't wait to plug her in and get burning the stock tubes in.

Have a few Russian's on the way from the usual reliable source :wink:

This could get expensive based on my last tube rolling addiction.   Orange Globes, Tele's and Refleckors also look intriguing...

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #2,231 of 23,494
Well Fedex tracker seems to think they will deliver my Lyr in the next 1-2 hours.  Can't wait to plug her in and get burning the stock tubes in.

Have a few Russian's on the way from the usual reliable source :wink:

This could get expensive based on my last tube rolling addiction.   Orange Globes, Tele's and Refleckors also look intriguing...
Welcome aboard!

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #2,232 of 23,494
Cheers Bob.
Damn, the man in the van is making me wait.  Apparently I'm no. 48 of 60 on the drivers schedule.  He's currently on 35... 
popcorn.gif

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #2,233 of 23,494
Ok the Lyr has arrived and been unboxed, plugged in and switched on.

Good bit - straight out of the box it lights up my HE-500's and plays music through them with a drive I have not heard to date.   
Came supplied with a pair of 6BZ7s.

Not so good bit.  When first switched on there was a bit of a hum through the L ch.  I flipped the switch to high gain and it went straight away.  I played 3-4 tracks before leaving it on and going off to make some calls.  Came back and pressed play - damn, just sound through the R ch, with a much lower volume through the L ch.

So waiting for unit to cool down so I can swap tubes over and see if the fault swaps channels with the tubes.

Dammit I don't think I have anything else in the house to hand that I can use instead.  What a bummer.

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #2,234 of 23,494
  Ok the Lyr has arrived and been unboxed, plugged in and switched on.

Good bit - straight out of the box it lights up my HE-500's and plays music through them with a drive I have not heard to date.   
Came supplied with a pair of 6BZ7s.

Not so good bit.  When first switched on there was a bit of a hum through the L ch.  I flipped the switch to high gain and it went straight away.  I played 3-4 tracks before leaving it on and going off to make some calls.  Came back and pressed play - damn, just sound through the R ch, with a much lower volume through the L ch.

So waiting for unit to cool down so I can swap tubes over and see if the fault swaps channels with the tubes.

Dammit I don't think I have anything else in the house to hand that I can use instead.  What a bummer.

I would message Schiit immediately. I had an issue with an error order, (sent me uber upgrade for my bifrost instead of the usb) they responded within an hour and overnighted me the correct part with shipping suplies and a prepaid return package. It just stunk because I had already disassembled the entire bifrost before opening the package from Schiit. All those screws! Good luck. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #2,235 of 23,494
Update:  Figured it out - the LH channel valve socket is extremely tight and the valve wasn't seated properly.  Bit of wriggling and a touch more pressure and it seems to have squeezed in and made better contact.

Both channels now.  Its good, very good.

Oh and reports were not exaggerated - it does run pretty hot, with a warm volume dial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back